• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why the hate for Grado?

Limopard

Once had an iGrado, which sounded ok, nothing to write home about and not really above a Koss Porta Pro. At the time a Sennheiser PX100 @50€ smoked both. Add to that the steep import prices in Germany and you might know why I have no urge to check out more expensive Grados.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Despite being able to drive over the border into the US, here in Canada Grado is extremely expensive as well so no friendly neighbour discounts.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there really hate out there? Tons of top reviews.

I love my 225s. I had RS1 and PS500 and 325s before. My main issue was quality control, love the sound and everything when they are right.

I love them but they are so open they don't isolate anything, and everybody can hear them around you. At home they are awesome.

But I also have Shure 1540 I use a lot because they are closed, isolate me more and are super revealing (sometimes too much so).

threni

Major Contributor
Dunno about hate. Had a pair once and I'll never buy them again - there's just too much choice...too many better headphones on a number of metrics. I know this is a little "the food is terrible...and such small portions" but they weren't cheap, they really should stop using sandpaper to cover the pads (although it did take my mind off the overly bright sound) and they didn't last very long before breaking.

OP
NiagaraPete

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like to read while listening to music as such I wear glasses. I can't read and wear my Senn HD's with glasses. My new Grado's (new line) sit really well on my ear so listening and reading is enjoyable.

gfinlays

wwut3n487wh31.jpg
That looks like it could have been designed by Emmett "Doc" Brown!

Foxenfurter

I bought a pair of Alessandros MS1 when they were selling for 100$ with free world-wide shipping. At the time this was 50GBP so much cheaper than UK Grados. Initially I liked them because the old low end sennheisers that I had seemed dull and lifeless, and these were more lively. But the pads disintegrated after a couple of years and I tried a set of the salad bowl pads but they were awful, uncomfortable and I lost what little bass I had, so I then tried Ultrasone - too much the other way, the bass would crack your skull. I then got a pair of Fostex TH600s as an upgrade, I later changed the bowls for woodies and modified them for comfort (sennheiser band pads are wonderful).

I started using the Alessandros again during lockdown, I replaced the pads with some amazon cheapies and applied EQ, the sound is now quite nice, although I mainly use them for work audio conferences.

I actually quite like them for conferences because the standard eq is good for speech clarity on a bad line, and being able to hear the doorbell etc is handy. Comfort for an hour or so is good, any longer and I start to notice.

Xii-Nyth

I realise my last comments was full of spelling mistakes and confusing bc I was probably doing something else at the same time.

TL:DR pads only are there to make them not leak all the bass, they are basically on ear and many don't have foam between the driver and your ear anbd are pretty abrasive. Other than that they were definetely good value options that were easy to drive for many years.

Kevbaz

I used to use Grado up to about 4 weeks ago. I got my 1st Grado pair about 20 years ago, sr80 and recently in last 2 years upgraded to SR325e I loved them but didn’t have a speaker system or other headphones to compare them to so assumed this was as good as it got. I then bought some sennheiser hd660s, DCA Drop x closed and recently some JBL Club Pro TWS. Since then I can’t stand to listen to the Grado’s and realise what I was missing out on, and my tinnitus has improved since I’ve stopped using the Grado’s.
I also recently bought a JBL speaker system that is meant to be neutral and really love the neutral sound and bass which the Grado just never had.
Kev

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As I mentioned several comments back, I have owned several Grado over the years. My first one was an RS1 that I got in the late 90s, and was my only headphone for many years. As a classical and jazz fan first and foremost, they worked awesomely. I just sold them because they sold for ridiculous money among Grado fans - I learned that Grado collectionists pay $$$ for certain models, so why not :) ... Note that I had to glue the RS1s together once or twice, the screw attaching an earcup did fall out, but it was quick and easy.

I had also bought SR225e for the office. I think I lucked out with them. When I tried to upgrade to SR325e, the ones I got sounded worse, or at the very least were much harder to drive, sounding much lower in volume, which specs in hand should have never been the case. They went back, and that made me suspicious of Grado's quality control. I also bought PS500 at some point in time, but a friend "borrowed" them, they got stolen when his car was broken into (he did compensate me :-D).

But I remain a huge fan of my SR225e - they sound great and are super-easy to drive. I will not sell them. I am happy rotating between the SR225e, Shure SRH1540 and Beyerdynamic DT1990.

Last edited:
OP
NiagaraPete

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m loving my SR225x. The cable is thicker which Is a bit of an issue.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m loving my SR225x. The cable is thicker which Is a bit of an issue.
Yes, and the thick cable is hard-attached which means you need to learn how to untangle it when the earcups get twisted a bit around independently.

OP
NiagaraPete

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, that’s what I was trying to say.

Thiuda

I really like my sr325x, the new x-line is quite good and has far more low end then before.
I like the openness and they are very easy to drive.
Comfort can be improved by bending the headband to a good fit.

Open the cups (hairdryer) clean the hot glue mess, replace the horrific cables with detachable ones and you get a really nice pair of headphones.

Migel83

I don't know, but the Grados are by far the least popular headphones I know.
I have looked at and listened to a few models.
They didn't pick me up one meter, not even on a high-end Mcintosh system I was allowed to test that costs $50,000 did they manage to awaken anything in me.
I thought they were terrible then and still do.
And probably will for as long as I live.
On a personal note, if I ever get tired of hearing about this world, I'll buy it and go deaf with it.
Still, it's admirable that they still resonate with certain people.
Bass is certainly not everything.I went from bass head alla Fostex headphones down to the Audeze where I have to say it sounds so great.
But I don't want to go down any further.

Apart from that I find them outrageously expensive.
I don't hate them, I just don't like them.

Peterinvan

I really like my sr325x, the new x-line is quite good and has far more low end then before.
I like the openness and they are very easy to drive.
Comfort can be improved by bending the headband to a good fit.

Open the cups (hairdryer) clean the hot glue mess, replace the horrific cables with detachable ones and you get a really nice pair of headphones.
Grado 325is Mods

I converted my SR325is to take a removable cable. See

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/grado-fan-club.530965/page-3709.

• Using a much lighter Meze balanced cable solved the weight problem.
  • Punching two holes in the felt driver damper added more bass and warmth.
  • Installing Grado G pads brightened things up a bit and solved the comfort problem
Happy :)

Feelas

Bet Grado (w/ Beyer) is one of the reasons that audiophile shtick considers bright as more detailed & well-voiced alas better.

This will stay with us until the universe finally explodes.

Feelas

I hope he's getting decent sound out of that contraption, but let's be honest, he's probably not.
Most likely 5dB better SNR. BUT HEY, THE EFFORT, RIGHT?

I remember that back in 2012 on forums people contemplated running such rigs.
For iPods. And IEMs...

Top Bottom