• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Outlaw 2220 Review (Monoblock Amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 15 5.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 159 53.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 120 40.1%

• Total voters

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The multi-tone @ 5 watts tells us nothing because the artifact occurs at a higher power level.

During our listening sessions we compared the M200 and Parasound A21 level matched but without quick switching. At low levels, there water no issues but at moderate to loud the M200 was not as pleasant as the A21. Different tech may require additional tests.

Do we really know that at switching into low impedance loads that audible artifacts do not occur.

- Rich

Electrically speaking, for lower impedance load, the required voltage is lower so switching to high voltage will occur at higher power output.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Electrically speaking, for lower impedance load, the required voltage is lower so switching to high voltage will occur at higher power output.

I am not an EE, so I'll defer.

Do you agree that the 5 watt multi-tone test is not going to expose the harmonic distortions that may be occurring when the amp switches rails?

- Rich

Last edited:

peanuts

what i dont like about monoblocks, you pay a bit more per channel and it takes up alot more space.

levimax

Major Contributor
what i dont like about monoblocks, you pay a bit more per channel and it takes up alot more space.
Yes but no cross talk, better cooling @ high power, can be located closer to the speakers, and they look cool.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just a wild guess here but I think we've seen class D amps with toroidal linear type power supply
Even vacuum tube amplifiers can use toroidal transformers, but the only one I can remember seeing is this AricAudio "Transcend" EL34 PP amplifier (from Aric Kimball). He states that he uses "Toroid power transformer for low EMI".

Aric EL34 Amp - Toroidal Transformer.jpg

Newman

Major Contributor
@amirm your power graphs say “both channels driven”.

jimroge

Good results here. I would love to see the Outlaw RR2160 stereo reciever tested. I've been looking at one for a long time now. Good review on Stereophile, I'd like to see what the test here show.

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
why do some amps have problems having the bass extend all the way to zero (this is even better than normal)? Whereas for SS dacs and preamps it doesn't seem to be an issue

iraweiss

FWIW if you haven't done so compare the 2220 with the previous generation 2200.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s/outlaw-2200-m-block-amplifier-review.11403/

It's striking how similar the performance is with the major difference being the improved frequency response in the 2220 as Amir pointed out. You could almost chalk it up to variations off the production line.

My only regret, and I have been kicking myself for over a year, is that I didn't buy my three 2220 amps when Outlaw briefly had a 2020 holiday sale that offered the bundle price plus an additional discount for $270 for each amp, plus shipping. Oh well... He who hesitates is lost.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
why do some amps have problems having the bass extend all the way to zero (this is even better than normal)? Whereas for SS dacs and preamps it doesn't seem to be an issue
I have to check but it may be because I have put a DC filter in the measurement. DC can confuse AP sometimes and hence for the filter (> 10 Hz).

iraweiss

I have to check but it may be because I have put a DC filter in the measurement. DC can confuse AP sometimes and hence for the filter (> 10 Hz).
Amir, did you test the amp through the balanced or unbalanced input?

dfuller

Major Contributor
As you see, it is 27.6 dB which is a bit lower than nominal 29 dB.
Still, 27.6dB should be plenty sufficient - given roughly 0.2V input for 5W output, this amp should be driven to full power by any DAC that can do 2V output.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very nice. Wonder how hot it gets.

iraweiss

Very nice. Wonder how hot it gets.
The 2220 doesn't get hot at all. After playing music all day the amps are barely warm to the touch on top. I'm giving them two inches of space to the shelf above, one amp per shelf.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I left it on overnight by accident and it was barely warm on top. So idle current is low. If it is class G, that is the reason for low idle dissipation.

Top Bottom