• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need advice for my first DAC/AMP set up

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Note - India uses 230 V 50 Hz mains. You want a Euro-spec power supply, not US spec (120 V 60 Hz). That's kind of important for anything with transformer-based supplies, which includes the Schiit and JDS Labs devices. The Topping seems to ship with a wide-range SMPS that only needs a mechanical adapter to operate anywhere on this world.
Worth pointing out that the major retailers of the Chinese brands like Shenzenaudio tend to supply the correct plug for major territories based on the delivery address . Or do in my experience to the UK

OP
P

pavnov

Note - India uses 230 V 50 Hz mains. You want a Euro-spec power supply, not US spec (120 V 60 Hz). That's kind of important for anything with transformer-based supplies, which includes the Schiit and JDS Labs devices. The Topping seems to ship with a wide-range SMPS that only needs a mechanical adapter to operate anywhere on this world.
Thanks for pointing this out. It's easy to miss this detail.

OP
P

pavnov

I appreciate all the responses. For now, I am going ahead with DX3 pro plus with an option to expand in future.

One question : while stacking, do we always need to go with the same company components or can we mix and match? For example : can I use Schiit Magni 3+ with DX3Pro +?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I appreciate all the responses. For now, I am going ahead with DX3 pro plus with an option to expand in future.

One question : while stacking, do we always need to go with the same company components or can we mix and match? For example : can I use Schiit Magni 3+ with DX3Pro +?
No. Other than for cosmetic reasons, mix and match away. I would question the future need for expanding on the dx3 Pro though.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Agree with @Jimbob54. Little reason to upgrade from here.

And especially with the Magni 3+, which has only slightly more headphone power output for low impedance headphones (but not high impedance). While the DX3 Pro+ is arguably more accurate, you would very likely find little or no difference in audio quality.

In other words, the Magni 3+ and the headphone amp in the DX3 Pro+ would best be considered the same class of performance.

OP
P

pavnov

No. Other than for cosmetic reasons, mix and match away. I would question the future need for expanding on the dx3 Pro though.
Got it. So inter-branding needs a nuanced technical knowledge to figure out the right pairing between components.

Agree with @Jimbob54. Little reason to upgrade from here.

And especially with the Magni 3+, which has only slightly more headphone power output for low impedance headphones (but not high impedance). While the DX3 Pro+ is arguably more accurate, you would very likely find little or no difference in audio quality.

In other words, the Magni 3+ and the headphone amp in the DX3 Pro+ would best be considered the same class of performance.
I also get what you're saying about upgrading the amp for DX3 pro+ - if at all required (for any future headphones I may buy), I will have to go for next class of amps and otherwise DX3 pro+ got me covered. Thanks a ton :)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Got it. So inter-branding needs a nuanced technical knowledge to figure out the right pairing between components.

I also get what you're saying about upgrading the amp for DX3 pro+ - if at all required (for any future headphones I may buy), I will have to go for next class of amps and otherwise DX3 pro+ got me covered. Thanks a ton :)
No need for special knowledge to mix and match kit between brands.

EdTice

This is a great choice. A little over your budget but it's something you will be happy with for a long time. And its a simple setup that you can just enjoy. I own a D10 but I'm considering the DX3 pro just for the convenience and bluetooth in case of emergency. For anybody else who finds this thread and has similar budget constraints, the DX3 pro (not plus) can be found used for under $200.

the1q

Registered to provide some input since I have the following in my possession right now (with Magni 3+ DAC):
  • Schiit Heresy (melted itself)
  • DX3 Pro+ (returning)
  • Sabaj A10h (returning)
  • SMSL SH-6 (keeping)
I currently have Sundara and Edition XS and as others have said, planars need more power than you think. Some amps just have better synergy with certain headphones. I found the DX3 Pro+ to sound the worse when powering the Hifimans even though they have plenty of power. I don't know why but it just sounded thin and lacking the slap.

The Sabaj sounds really close to the SMSL but with less power meaning I had to crank up the volume more than I wanted. I almost kept it because of the digital display and remote.

In the end the SMSL is the keeper because it's powerful, super clean, the Hifimans sound like they are being properly powered. Also the usability of the SMSL is much superior to the Schiit Heresy. I hope the quality is better as well.

blse59

No need to complicate it. Fiio K5 Pro. The easiest no fuss buy it and forget it setup for headphones.

Top Bottom