• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is the Etymotic Research ER3SE worth it?

MCH

Major Contributor
Yes, I've also seen the measurement from your link. I've also made a custom 24 ohm impedance adapter for the ER3SE (over 1 ohm because it's hard to get the right amount of resistor) because I saw those thread.

However, after I directly compared it with the ER4SR, the sound is not close enough. The ER4SR is still brighter. I again added the impedance value to 75 ohms. Pretty close to ER4SR but still a little less bright. And ER4SR is still a little more detailed which I believe this detail retrieval capability will not be able to get with the ER3SE + impedance adapter because use of different driver.

Some of the things that make the ER3SE + impedance adapter not the same as the ER4SR are:

1. The drivers are different
2. The placement of the resistor is no longer in the cable like the old ER4, but the resistor is inside of housing, so changing the frequency response is not as easy as the old ER4 which only equalizes the impedance value.
3. The graphic on the link you sent is ER3XR vs ER4XR which may differ from ER3SE vs ER4SR.

I recommend an ER3SE + impedance adapter of 50 ohms and above. 75 ohms worked well for me, although it's a little less bright than the ER4SR, but the sound is still very accurate to my ears.
Interesting... to be honest i doubt i can hear a difference, but actually it can be interesting to play with the impedance and see (well hear) what happens. Could you point me to the schematic of these impedance plugs that you built? Thanks!

Ashimaru

Interesting... to be honest i doubt i can hear a difference, but actually it can be interesting to play with the impedance and see (well hear) what happens. Could you point me to the schematic of these impedance plugs that you built? Thanks!
Like this :)
20210524_012809.jpg

MCH

Major Contributor
Haha
so just two resistors each in line at each channel? I think i can do that

Ashimaru

Haha
so just two resistors each in line at each channel? I think i can do that
Yes, the impedance adapter is actually just like that.
You can also use SMD resistors, but it seems a bit difficult because they are so small.

sleepyboy69

@JohnYang1997 ,

Hey John, I wanted to ask you: what Topping amp would you recommend for the ER2SE?

I also bought the "ER4P to S" converter hoping this will get me to the right place. Did I do the right thing? What else do you recommend to maximize my experience?

I was looking at the Topping DX3 Pro+ because of its price. Would this be "good enough"? And what would I miss out on by not taking up a higher priced DAC/amp?

Thanks in advance for any input.

SpaceMonkey

How does Oppo PM3 compare with ER3SE + PtoS?
If you are still wondering Oppo PM3 is really not a match for any Etymotic (when properly inserted). It has some "metallic" peaks in HF which can be annoying. I sold my pair brand new to a friend after being annoyed by these peaks. Funny, his used pair now costs more than he paid.

Ashimaru

If you are still wondering Oppo PM3 is really not a match for any Etymotic (when properly inserted). It has some "metallic" peaks in HF which can be annoying. I sold my pair brand new to a friend after being annoyed by these peaks. Funny, his used pair now costs more than he paid.
I have the PM3 in hand now, and yes, I also feel the annoying HF peak. Makes vocals sibilance and the hi-hat/ride cymbal sound too loud.
Using the tone generator I found peaks around 9kHz and 12kHz.
This is weird, some people say PM3 lacks treble and tends to be dark. However, the unit that you and I have actually has a HF peak. Maybe PM3 has a silent revision (?).

SpaceMonkey

I have the PM3 in hand now, and yes, I also feel the annoying HF peak. Makes vocals sibilance and the hi-hat/ride cymbal sound too loud.
Using the tone generator I found peaks around 9kHz and 12kHz.
This is weird, some people say PM3 lacks treble and tends to be dark. However, the unit that you and I have actually has a HF peak. Maybe PM3 has a silent revision (?).
I think it is a matter of hearing ability and preference.
That whole planar driver hype kind propelled pm3 into some mythical beast. And planars have issues in HF.
I would say that NAD HP50 actually outperforms pm3 at a fraction of cost at used prices. Ergonomics of hp50 might be bad but when it works it is a great closed hp.

2M2B

That whole planar driver hype kind propelled pm3 into some mythical beast. And planars have issues in HF.
Never understood It they praised It bass being better than Dynamic drivers decay wise but when given a Ety ER3SE suddenly it was a bad thing, Then 180'd on DD's being more natural despite dumping on them in their planar reviews.

Reddit does this a lot, They hype planar HP's for decay/detail ignoring driver issues. But when someone praised the ER4XR for having no nasty peaks in HF & Its bass decay. Suddenly you're trolling and should bin the ER4XR for a ER2XR or Moondrop blessing.

This is why I stuck with ER2SE/ER4XR since It is so easy to EQ them out having squash peak/dips, Beyond two like 1.6KHz & 7.2KHz(ER2 doesn't have that dip).

Ashimaru

Never understood It they praised It bass being better than Dynamic drivers decay wise but when given a Ety ER3SE suddenly it was a bad thing, Then 180'd on DD's being more natural despite dumping on them in their planar reviews.

Reddit does this a lot, They hype planar HP's for decay/detail ignoring driver issues. But when someone praised the ER4XR for having no nasty peaks in HF & Its bass decay. Suddenly you're trolling and should bin the ER4XR for a ER2XR or Moondrop blessing.

This is why I stuck with ER2SE/ER4XR since It is so easy to EQ them out having squash peak/dips, Beyond two like 1.6KHz & 7.2KHz(ER2 doesn't have that dip).
I actually found ER2SE a little less linear in the treble area. I found a not linier in the 9kHz to 10kHz transition area, resulting a slightly hot hi-hat sound.
Using it a little shallow, or with triple flange size L if you usually use size S, or using stock foam tips can overcome the problem of lack of linear in this treble area.

SpaceMonkey

I actually found ER2SE a little less linear in the treble area. I found a not linier in the 9kHz to 10kHz transition area, resulting a slightly hot hi-hat sound.
Using it a little shallow, or with triple flange size L if you usually use size S, or using stock foam tips can overcome the problem of lack of linear in this treble area.
Really depends on the ear canal.
I use very deep insertion with triple flanges or Comply P-series with a bit of tip cut off so it does not muffle the ear canal when compressed.

blse59

From what i gathered searching in this forum everyone is using ers4 is the 3 worth buying?
Adorama is still selling the ER3SE and ER3XR for $69. IMO, this is the best deal on IEMs on the planet. The ER3SE is my favorite in the Etymotic lineup. Has the high resolution of BA drivers (vs. dynamic) - it really feels like you are putting a magnifying glass to the recording - and there is a slight bass boost and not as bright as the ER4.

Reactions: SMc

ER4PT

Yes it is 100% worth it. I had the ER2SE for a long time but it is no competition to the clarity, instrument separation and detail of the ER3SE. It is $69 on Amazon right now. And yea, as blse59 says, it is like putting a magnifying glass to the recording.
You should buy it right now if you care about detailed music

Ashimaru

Yes it is 100% worth it. I had the ER2SE for a long time but it is no competition to the clarity, instrument separation and detail of the ER3SE. It is $69 on Amazon right now. And yea, as blse59 says, it is like putting a magnifying glass to the recording.
You should buy it right now if you care about detailed music
I sold ER3SE for ER2SE. Yes, ER3SE is more detailed, but ER2SE is just cleaner, more neutral, and clearer. I've always found the ER3SE mids to feel dirty. Adding an impedance adapter doesn't help either. Maybe I'm just bored

ER4PT

I sold ER3SE for ER2SE. Yes, ER3SE is more detailed, but ER2SE is just cleaner, more neutral, and clearer. I've always found the ER3SE mids to feel dirty. Adding an impedance adapter doesn't help either. Maybe I'm just bored
i see. BA etys are very picky with tips compared to the ER2 series. and i saw you used the big flanges cut to dual flange on head-fi. unfortunately ety tips arent just different sizes and all sound very different, and i tried the tips you used, they arent good. I use comply p professional small and it has been the best tip for BA etys so far.

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
i see. BA etys are very picky with tips compared to the ER2 series. and i saw you used the big flanges cut to dual flange on head-fi. unfortunately ety tips arent just different sizes and all sound very different, and i tried the tips you used, they arent good. I use comply p professional small and it has been the best tip for BA etys so far.

Yeah, if you can't get a proper seal, which in my case is impossible with any Ety tips due to my canal geometry, then I can't imagine anyone being satisfied with them. I prefer the seal of Comply tips but use the Klipsch large ovals if I am in a situation where I might have to remove them more frequently.

ER4PT

Yeah, if you can't get a proper seal, which in my case is impossible with any Ety tips due to my canal geometry, then I can't imagine anyone being satisfied with them. I prefer the seal of Comply tips but use the Klipsch large ovals if I am in a situation where I might have to remove them more frequently.
Unfortunately seal isn't all that matters with the ER3SE either. Every single tip "seals" and "fits" for me, but they all sound different, even when inserted to the 2nd bend of the ear.
Tips were less of an issue with the ER2SE, I don't think the ER2 series are really engineered to be picky about things like insertion depth and stuff like the ER4 and ER3 are.

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Unfortunately seal isn't all that matters with the ER3SE either. Every single tip "seals" and "fits" for me, but they all sound different, even when inserted to the 2nd bend of the ear.
Tips were less of an issue with the ER2SE, I don't think the ER2 series are really engineered to be picky about things like insertion depth and stuff like the ER4 and ER3 are.

Agreed, but if you don't get a seal, you don't get bass, and that is pretty much a quick dealbreaker. Our daughter has a degree in hearing science and knows that our canals are oddly shaped...genetics, I guess...and agreed there's no way the triple flange could be safely inserted in our ears, much less seal. I thus have no idea how it would sound.

Ashimaru

Actually lately I've switched to full size large triple flange. It seems my ear canal adapted to its large size (using a little Vaseline helps too). And I love the large triple flange sound.
Comparing them directly to the small triple flange use a tone generator, large triple flange just have better extension at the bottom and top ends. I'm sure I've put it deep enough into the second bend, and got the right seal.
I agree that ER2 isn't particularly picky about eartips than ER3/ER4. Even I found 6kHz dip on the ER2 more filled when using it a bit shallow (still deep insertion but a bit shallow). That's also what made me switch to ER2SE. In addition, I no longer have to bother using an impedance adapter like the ER3.

SpaceMonkey

Guys, apart Comply P-series also consider Etymotic ER38-18clx or cll (i think these are the same). Essentially, clx offers a longer stem. What is the benefit?! The tip remains pliable and bendable, meaning that these can go in deeper with less discomfort, hence the fr is less subjected to any peaks/resonances.

Top Bottom