• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Russian Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
@amirm @AdamG247 @BDWoody This is in full violation of the rules here. My apologies in advance. ASR is about as close as I get to social media and I'd like to share a few thoughts.

I'm a long time immigrant from Russia, but I have family in both Ukraine and Russia, including some that are at this moment living on the frontlines. They are proud—not even the risk of death compels them to leave.

I'm ashamed of my homeland. I'm also acutely aware of the historical facts and circumstances that have brought us here. Despite that, and despite having every conceivable distance from the decisions made by the current Russian government, I feel responsible for their effort to disrupt Ukrainian political and economic life, to incite and embrace belligerent nationalism, strangle the moral sense of our population and proceed with the invasion. My people, after all. Blood of my blood. A body whose actions I can't control.

These past few days have marked a turning point in my life whose direction I am only barely beginning to glimpse. I feel permanently altered.

Слава Україні.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
B2EAA6A7-E39D-4B9C-9565-77D7CC35F00A.jpeg

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
As a Ukrainian born, but now living in Canada, the last couple of days have been hell.

I'm 50% Ukrainian and 50% Russian since my parents were born in both countries.

From our family: mothers, sisters, and friends refuse to talk to each other, and have sent messages about “never talking with each other again”. All because of who’s side they associate with. It’s childish, and I hate how this is eroding our relationships.

I'm a native Russian speaker, who feels a deep connection to my Russian neighbours, since we are, after all, brothers who speak the same language and have a similar culture.

I always introduced myself as Ukrainian, but Russian speaking.
I never felt any negative feelings towards Russia.
I was always proud to be 50% mix, since I experienced the best of both cultures.

But now, since the start of the war, I don't know how much I'm going to talk about being Russian.
I'm starting to feel ashamed of speaking Russian myself, since I don't know how the world is going to perceive Russian-speaking people now.
That makes me sad.

On the positive side, my aunt was on a flight out of Ukraine to Italy, and 1 hour after she departed, war has been declared. :eek: Before the world knew of the start of the war, my aunt suspected she needed to get out, so a few weeks back she started planning this, and the timing worked out.

Thanks for listening.

Slava Ukraini ("Glory to Ukraine")

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
These past few days have marked a turning point in my life whose direction I am only barely beginning to glimpse. I feel permanently altered.
You are not alone. The leader of one country has decided to start a war with its neighbor just because he could. It is so heartbreaking the situation Ukrainians are in. While I can't feel what you feel, know that you are not alone in feeling like humanity has taken a big step backward by letting this happen.

whazzup

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It is truly a sad turn of events. Populations of both countries are not really keen on fighting, so many reports of Russian soldiers transported into Ukraine soil unknowingly.
It really puzzles me. Putin keeps saying he was forced. By the threat of Ukraine entering NATO? And in doing so further screws over his own people and his own country economically? The numbers don't add up... :facepalm:

Juhazi

Major Contributor
I want to express my sympathies to Ukraine, and most of all the people in Ukraine. Only governement showing aggression and threat to others is Putin's in Russia. This is a fact, not an opinion.

Finland has 1000km border with Russia and long time common history with it and Soviet Union, including several wars, and independence for 100 years. Ukraine has now 30 years of real independence and 2000km of borderline, plus Belarus... We and Baltic countries all have many personal friends across borders and know and share lots of each other's culture too. Multicultural society should be the accepted norm nowdays, globally. Nationalistic or religious propaganda lives only in heads of some politicians/leaders, common people don't share it.

I wish for peace as soon as possible, but I'm afraid...

Last edited:

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We all have heartfelt sympathy for Ukraine and its people. Worst thing to happen in Europe since Hitler marched into Poland in 1939. Putin has broken a 77 year peace, and for what? Who can say? Pure insanity. Impossible to see how this even advances the geopolitical interests of the Russian state. So no rational justification (even a deplorable rational justification) whatsoever. And a terrible tragedy for the Ukrainian people.

Just horrible and who knows what Putin's endgame is?

Bleib

Major Contributor

Attachments

• 274365670_4832073983494342_7468515906666664141_n.jpg
    274365670_4832073983494342_7468515906666664141_n.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 112

DanielT

Major Contributor
We'll, we sort of know what he wants...this has been public for ages. But a war crime it's nonetheless. I don't see how Putin could possibly make anything better for Russia by losing his marbles. As usual it's the people who suffer when old men play "games".
Should we go that route and talk about what sovereign states, democratic states, countries with democratically elected leaders should be allowed to do without a maniac with a lot of military power starting to kill them?

Unfortunately, NATO can not intervene militarily, no one can because Putin has indirectly threatened with nuclear weapons. And what that man is capable of doing, if he is threatened, we probably all understand. These are not just empty words on Putin's part.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I can very much sympathize with the Ukrainians. But also with a great many Russians that are against this war and cannot vent their opinions due to the massive oppression going on.

I have some USSR roots myself. My mother was born in (what is now) Kazachstan of Volga Germans decent. They fled to Germany in the 50’s, and other family members followed over the decades, many married to Russians. I’m pretty sure all of them now living in Germany would condemn these actions totally.

I’m both appalled and can understand the reluctance of the other countries to intervene. It really feels as if everyone just stands by and let’s it happen :facepalm:

Last edited:

TLEDDY

Forum Donor
The only thing I can do is offer my prayers to the Ukrainian people. I am too old to fight anymore, else I might try.

I attempted to put “Find the Cost of Freedom” by CS&N here but failed, sorry.

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
44 million Ukranian people will not take this lying down. It will be protracted unrest and a full-on militia war for the medium/long term. That is, until Putin lashes out in escalation or frustration and maybe ends up dragging all of Europe into this.

We need to equip the Ukranians with everything they need to defend their homeland against this unacceptable aggression.

TLEDDY

Forum Donor
44 million Ukranian people will not take this lying down. It will be protracted unrest and a full-on militia war for the medium/long term. That is, until Putin lashes out in escalation or frustration and maybe ends up dragging all of Europe into this.

We need to equip the Ukranians with everything they need to defend their homeland against this unacceptable aggression.
We are weeks late in providing armaments…Germany just upped the ante today, announcing much more assistance!

As I said, prayers!

DanielT

Major Contributor
I agree with that!

In addition, exclude Russia from:

EU, US, UK to exclude some Russian banks from SWIFT

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen says the move aims to harm Russia's ability to finance its war in Ukraine.

"This will ensure that these banks are disconnected from the international financial system and harm their ability to operate globally," European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said after a videoconference with the leaders of the US, Germany, France, Italy and Canada.

"All of these measures will significantly harm [Russian President Vladimir] Putin's ability to finance his war and they will have a severely eroding impact on his economy," she said. "Putin embarked on a path aiming to destroy Ukraine, but what he is also doing in fact is destroying the future of his own country. "

Exclude all Russian Banks if necessary. Certainly no more gas and energy from Russia and it will have major consequences for the countries that depend on that, but so be it.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It really puzzles me. Putin keeps saying he was forced. By the threat of Ukraine entering NATO?

Yes, this is the basis of Putins behavior. When the wall fell in Germany the EU leaders and Russia made an aural agreement that NAVO would not advance. To EU and US this was not an agreement. To Russia it was.
It all went fine till Zelenski was chosen and the Russian puppet in Kiev was gone.
Flirting with NATO began and that is something Putin didn't want.

NATO/E.U. is already at Russian borders b.t.w. Finland, Estland and Lithuania.
Putin probably wants those back as well which must result in WW3 so for now he sees Ukraine as USSR (Russian) territory.

Putin probably assumed Ukranian people would welcome Russia back and that there would be no opposition from the people.
He figured wrong. They all counted on becoming part of EU and NATO. This is going to be a long struggle I'm afraid.
NATO can only defend its own borders and EU does not want to take part (risking WW3).

One man's (and his puppets) ideas and his army can cause so much suffering. I guess the only thing that can end occupation is the placement of a pro-Russian government (Putins goal) or Putin (and his followers) ending up dead.
Maybe... when NATO puts in hard writing never to let Ukraine become part of NATO/EU there can be withdrawal.
That's what the 'talk' before the invasions was about.

Last edited:

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Giving more arms and banning banks, export, travelling etc. are just complicating and forlonging the crisis/war!

The real solution and goal is to declare peace and start real negotioations multilaterally. Putin's regime can not just declare the peace rules! In peaceful conditions, borders are open and trading mostly unregulated. This way economics will soon get better also in Russia, which will help all people around here. Europeans need the gas, oil and agricultural products from Ukraine, Belarus and Russia!

And we must remember that Russia/Putin has similar actions in other old Soviet nations too, remember Georgia and Azerbaijan.

A fast way out of this is a revolution in Russia, but I don't believe it will happen. Only the military could do that, not civilians.

Last edited:

thorvat

I agree with that!

In addition, exclude Russia from:

EU, US, UK to exclude some Russian banks from SWIFT

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen says the move aims to harm Russia's ability to finance its war in Ukraine.

"This will ensure that these banks are disconnected from the international financial system and harm their ability to operate globally," European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said after a videoconference with the leaders of the US, Germany, France, Italy and Canada.

"All of these measures will significantly harm [Russian President Vladimir] Putin's ability to finance his war and they will have a severely eroding impact on his economy," she said. "Putin embarked on a path aiming to destroy Ukraine, but what he is also doing in fact is destroying the future of his own country. "

Exclude all Russian Banks if necessary. Certainly no more gas and energy from Russia and it will have major consequences for the countries that depend on that, but so be it.

What Ukraine needs now is weapons, not this kind of measures which will produce measurable effects on Russia in maybe 6 months or later.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Canada has been in the Ukraine for some time on a training mission, provided lethal arms and is approaching a billion dollars in aid and a sovereign loan. Now Russia has delivered a letter from the Russian Embassy to the Canadian government that states there will be a response to follow. There are disputes regarding the Arctic Territories and the continental shelf and Russia claimed to take the Arctic by placing a flag on the sea bottom at the North Pole. I have no idea what Putin has up his sleeve but it can't be good. It's a creepy letter.
russia letter.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom