• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A Nice Story

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
I've read that story from another source a week ago or more; cool.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Proves there are all sorts of ancient things undiscovered and barely hidden around this planet of ours. Some crazy dudes found an absolutely massive gold nugget in Australia only a few weeks ago with a metal detector.

Our world is very cool, thanks for posting.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
She got hustled out of it.
Probably worth a bundle and could have been sold to a museum for a lot of cash.
Her college tuition for sure.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
It wasn't ever hers to keep though.
If not her's then who?
Finders keepers we used to say.

Education is free in Sweden.
Ain't nothin free, there's a bill for everything and someone must pay.
The only questin is who's pop-in for the bill?

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
If not her's then who?

43467061_2139780009389318_6889389578738728960_n.jpg e417.png

mansr

Major Contributor

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
If not her's then who?

How as a society we pay for access to higher learning study is a intresting one as is the idea education should be linked to earning potential as if learning has no other function other than making one suitable for a certain job in the work place.

As a ‘uneducated ‘ working man who never had the option to seek a university education part of me resents the thought I have to pay for folks to ‘idle’ at uni . Then another part of me thinks the link between occupation and further education , learning for career rather than just pure academia is a bad thing. Putting huge debt on the young to fund education seems bad but then in the uk wev never had better , more widely available university access. Partly that’s down to the way it’s funded now.

I’d like to see other options considered , maybe looking at death duties and tacking on a surcharging there if ones benefited from state funded further education . Means testing and enforcing that probably had associated costs and that’s why it’s not happening but as a idea it solves both funding and student debt plus keeps the direct link between education and earning potential separate.

The current system in the uk is not right ( though functionaly it’s working) imo it encoutand normalises debt in our youth and that’s causing issues, issues that will have long term consequences imo.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
That would be the tax payers. The point is, you don't need a pile of cash to get a good education.

Libraries are free and you can get the Internet for free in coffee shops.
Diplomas are available online. All kids should have access to libraries where they have free Internet.

Treasure hunting is an adventurous job, I like it.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The current system in the uk is not right ( though functionaly it’s working) imo it encoutand normalises debt in our youth and that’s causing issues, issues that will have long term consequences imo.
Don't know anything about the UK system, or Sweden for that matter.
I'm sure there are folks in the US that have serious problems obtaining the education they desire but there are many options for people willing to put in the effort. From grants, scholarships, etc; available to those who excel in their grades, to those willing to devote a few years to serving their country with military service. I got my few college credits totally paid for on the GI bill and my income supplemented by the state while I was in school on the states program for military veterans. For the dedicated, there are options available for continuing education.
But do I want to pay taxes at a level that support a bunch of animal house party folks hanging out for year after year of liberal arts major? Nope, let your daddy do that, I'm not up for it. ;)

Top Bottom