• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tips to get rid of junk emails

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I maintained my original hotmail account for years after switching to gmail. Used the hotmail to sign up for things, book flights etc. etc.

Then that got hacked, and spammed everyone in my address book with badly translated diet pill advertising. So I shut it down and replaced it with a yahoo account which I've used for the same purpose for the past 5-6 years. Crazy how much spam that account gets. I used to take measures to minimise it, now I've stopped bothering.

Have to say, I've never been spammed to my gmail accounts that I recall over the 10+ years I've had them. Letting so much of my personal info get sucked up by Google's various tentacles (mail, browser, search, calendar) does concern me for other reasons though...

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
1539998804264.png

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Unless you've got the chops (and the inclination...) to run your own mail server like @mansr you're best off with gmail. I help to manage Exchange servers at work, but I can't be bothered to put that much effort into my own email since I barely even communicate with anyone through it. It pretty much just collects conformations, password resets, and receipts.

Unless you do run you own mail server someone is almost certainly collecting data from it whether they admit it or not.

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Once upon a time I needed a throwaway google account so I could download something from the play store on a phone so I created [email protected]. I was being really lazy since I was just going to download a free app anyway and surprisingly google let me use the username as the password.

I came back to it a year or so later and discovered that someone else had not only guessed that the account existed (no mean feat since it was literally never used for anything else...) but figured out my extremely clever password.

Now I miss [email protected] :facepalm:

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Lol, good one.
_____

My first few posts in this thread were boring.
The first video is too long, the last three music videos were only added for fun, brief there wasn't any interest on a subject that most audiophile scientists looking for graphs and measurements and concrete texted methods by users could benefit from.

I don't know what Kal and Lars are using for methods in eliminating effectively their junk emails. Maybe one day they'll share.

* Starting my own email server is something that I am going to explore.
...And one of the things I learned here among all others shared by members.
All in all I have no regret starting this thread, to the contrary.
And the critics are always welcome; that's the way I, we improve. It flies or it doesn't.

Last edited:
OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
By the way, before I started this thread I talked to few people in real life; we talked about junk emails and various email service providers. It is not uncommon to get junk mail in our junk mail box, every day...from zero to twenty. And sometimes one or two end up on our main private email box, like some persistent stalkers with no life.
I find that extremely annoying in my family and friends circle, where only love is shared among us. If it becomes a nuisance I delete my email address and I create a new one by letting my circle of friends in the loop.
I cherish people's privacy as the most sacred sanctuary. It is only naturally showing respect.

I'm very open to people's suggestions; if I wasn't I wouldn't be giving all my love and passion on the things I love in life. ...Including music, audio, films, nature, photography, science of space, climate control, light control, electric cars, science and technology, ...life. ...YouTube music videos, animations, ...the world as we know it created by the world, by the beautiful blue people living on this beautiful blue planet.

mansr

Major Contributor
How could they possibly provide the Gmail service without processing and storing your messages? That's not the same as using the information in them for ad targeting or other means for financial gain. They may or may not be doing that, and this is true for every email service provider.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I disagree. I think smartphones are very practical to use. It's just that the tech companies have decided not to build privacy into these devices. And yes, Apple is just as bad as Google on that count.

For my home computing purposes, I still use a Dell laptop, which cost $600 when purchased in 2006, running Linux and sending everything through a VPN. From this computer, I do not use Google (even for search), Gmail, iTunes, or any of that other shit.

But for work, I have no choice but to use a smartphone.

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
It depends.
https://guidetotaipei.com/article/is-taiwan-part-of-china
_____

This was in the news yesterday:
https://boingboing.net/2018/10/19/android-phones.html
_____

Do you get lots of junk emails in your Android?
Me I get lots of advertisements related to my surfing habits (audio, music, health, wealth, ...) and Google browsing research.

I also agree that Google knows more about me than me knows about me.
I think, because sometimes I'm not sure anymore of who I truly am; if I let others decide for me...lol. All the junk mail and adds in the world are toxic for the mental health of the human race. It is of prime importance to get rid of it all if we want to be free, if we want to be "me" (us all independent and tolerant, compassionate, accommodating, loving, friendly, intelligent, happy, wise oriented decision makers).

Last edited:
Top Bottom