• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Benchmark MPA1: an end of the line mic preamp?

etc6849

I finally found and scored a Benchmark MPA1 on eBay! It wasn't cheap, but definitely a bargain. I want to more accurately measure acoustic THD for my home theater setup, and hopefully make some stereo recordings of my theater someday when I get a second mic.

At +24dBU I can scream or just softly breath with no clipping, and it sounds insanely real; plus I can't hear any hiss at this volume at all when using my HD800 headphones.

It even comes with a Benchmark HPA2 headphone amp built in (same as on the Benchmark DAC2 and DAC3). I'm thinking retail was $1799 on this when it was first sold. Now they are discontinued (not sure why as it appears to be top notch and made in the USA). The fact that used units like this sell for $1000 or more off original price has me baffled.

Measurements and manual are here: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0321/7609/files/MPA1_-_Manual_-_Rev_B.pdf?1244

Now I just need to find a really good ADC. Hoping a used Benchmark ADC1 comes up for sale that matches, so if you know anyone with one they'd sell PM me...

mic preamp.jpg

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Hoping a used Benchmark ADC1 comes up for sale that matches

You'd want the ADC1 USB version wouldn't you? I'd say the non-usb version would be extremely cheap on 2nd hand market these days.

OP
etc6849

etc6849

I would buy either, but would pay more for the USB version for portability and resale reasons. My RME card has AES input along with a word clock output I can use.

The nice guy who sold me the MPA1 said he'd check his shop for an older ADC1 (non-USB version).

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You see some Benchmark ADCs on www.reverb.com from time to time. Sort of like an audiomart for recording gear. Now some people on there are crazy on pricing. But some aren't so be patient and something will turn up.

You also might look for a Lavry Blue mastering AD/DA if you don't mind something from those earlier digital days.

Last edited:
OP
etc6849

etc6849

Thanks. I signed up on reverb too, but had already searched it the other day. This is the third deal I've gotten that was about ~1/3 of original MSRP from eBay, but each time I had to wait 10 months or more for the exact model I wanted.

The funny thing is an ADC1 USB came up a few months back and eBay emailed me, but I didn't have the MPA1 yet so I didn't bid. I think overtime I will buy one or two for my theater just in case I ever need to have an analog input (doubtful unless I'm just measuring it though).

You see some Benchmark ADCs on www.reverb.com from time to time. Sort of like an audiomart for recording gear. Now some people on there are crazy on pricing. But some aren't so be patient and something will turn up.

hvbias

Addicted to Fun and Learning

You also might look for a Lavry Blue mastering AD/DA if you don't mind something from those earlier digital days.

How much does a Lavry Blue tend to go for?

I remember back in the day drooling at the Lavry Gold. This was before the high end trend of making things gold for the Chinese market :D

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
How much does a Lavry Blue tend to go for?

I remember back in the day drooling at the Lavry Gold. This was before the high end trend of making things gold for the Chinese market :D
There are a few variants. The 2 channel ad/da mastering converter, the 4 channel adc only, and the two channel mic pre and adc. I see people ask $1k-1.5k depending upon particulars. They don't seem to sell rapidly at that price so I'd think selling prices are somewhat lower. I have seen the mastering converters sell for $600 a couple times.

OP
etc6849

etc6849

Thanks guys :)

Out of pure luck, I scored a used Benchmark ADC1 USB on eBay today for a great buy it now price ($738 with shipping). I really lucked out as it is a black rack mount version, and I know these don't come up for sale very often, especially the USB version which was the last one made (and sold for $1795 I think).

Given that I got such a good deal, I was thinking about buying another Earthworks M30 mic after I sell some headphone stuff. Despite the gear I keep buying though, I'm not a musician and not a recording studio. I'm just thinking it would be really neat to try to capture what I'm hearing in my mid-life crisis theater (found here) and play it back on headphones...

There are a few variants. The 2 channel ad/da mastering converter, the 4 channel adc only, and the two channel mic pre and adc. I see people ask $1k-1.5k depending upon particulars. They don't seem to sell rapidly at that price so I'd think selling prices are somewhat lower. I have seen the mastering converters sell for $600 a couple times.

OP
etc6849

etc6849

I did some voice recordings and the fidelity is absolutely insane.

When I get some free time, I'm going to post some loop back measurements using REW's RTA. I can only think of how much better audiophile recordings could have been with a setup like this. I also could be a hoarder, but at least I have good taste :)

ADC1.jpg

OP
etc6849

etc6849

Top Bottom