• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sennheiser 800 HD still the best neutral openback for $1000 used?

PolkFan

Forum Donor
So for the past 6 months+ i haven't touched my headphone amp or dac as i have been listening to my Polks but last night i started to feel a bit depressed and stuff so i figured why not try my AKG 712 Pro's again.

By god they smack the crap out of my Monitor 70's in mids so i was wondering is the Sennheiser 800HD's still the best neutral can out their that isn't 2K+?

I also want the biggest sound stage possible with headphones as that is one reason why i haven't touched mine in months as i love my surround for games and movies and it was "Good enough" for music.

However when i feel a bit down i have a nice smoke and do nothing but listen to music for heck man all day long and watch gameplay videos in the background on mute.

I own the MODI 3 DAC and Magni amp

What would you guys recommend for me?

I originally bought the AKG's over them having a pretty sweet sound stage for a more affordable cost haha. I do love them but i wouldn't mind a new pair.

Edit BTW i'm super sorry if this isn't the right place to put this question

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
HD800 plus EQ to taste is still top tier. AFIK, any version of the Magni should be fine. Don't believe the mythology about it needing a magical amplifier.

If you got the cash, and can EQ all our sources, then go for it.

1000ROUNDZ

That was my question when I recently discovered the way to easily EQ my headphones to the Harman curve on my laptop, which has been revelatory. Remembering how much I liked the spatial qualities of the HD800 but never cared for how it sounded, I ordered a pari of used HD800, which are coming tomorrow. The consensus seems to be that HD800 + EQ is just top tier, so I'll find out tomorrow :)

Carlo2AC

i think you can get a Arya used for cheaper than that

But 1000 for a used HD 800 is a bit high.. where are you from?

I bought two used for 600 and 710 on E-Bay

MRC01

Major Contributor
... i was wondering is the Sennheiser 800HD's still the best neutral can out their that isn't 2K+?

I also want the biggest sound stage possible with headphones as that is one reason why i haven't touched mine in months as i love my surround for games and movies and it was "Good enough" for music. ...
The HD800 is a good headphone but it's over-hyped and over-priced. It's not neutral; it attenuates the bass, exaggerates the treble. It does have great soundstage though, perhaps the best. Two other headphones I'd pick over the HD800: the HD600/650 for neutral mids that don't need EQ, or the Audeze LCD-2F (fazor) if you want great bass. They're less expensive too.

OP
PolkFan

PolkFan

Forum Donor
i think you can get a Arya used for cheaper than that

But 1000 for a used HD 800 is a bit high.. where are you from?

I bought two used for 600 and 710 on E-Bay
America

I mean less is always better haha but i'm willing to pay $1000 for something i will keep forever and ever

Never had a single pair of cans break on me before even my good old cheapo AKG K44 that i got in middle school 20 years ago are still kicking haha tho i never use those horrible things.

OP
PolkFan

PolkFan

Forum Donor
The HD800 is a good headphone but it's over-hyped and over-priced. It's not neutral; it attenuates the bass, exaggerates the treble. It does have great soundstage though, perhaps the best. Two other headphones I'd pick over the HD800: the HD600/650 for neutral mids that don't need EQ, or the Audeze LCD-2F (fazor) if you want great bass. They're less expensive too.

So if i could beg you to tell me a bit more. I like neutral to "SLIGHTLY" more treble which is why i love AKG and Polk a bit

One thing i do not want is slow boomy bass or a sound stage that sounds like you have a center speaker inside your head

So could you list maybe a few pairs i might like? I can't really demo them as the only place i live by is Best Buy and Guiter Center which doesn't really have a lot of headphones sadly

Carlo2AC

So if i could beg you to tell me a bit more. I like neutral to "SLIGHTLY" more treble which is why i love AKG and Polk a bit

One thing i do not want is slow boomy bass or a sound stage that sounds like you have a center speaker inside your head

So could you list maybe a few pairs i might like? I can't really demo them as the only place i live by is Best Buy and Guiter Center which doesn't really have a lot of headphones sadly
Sounds like you already have the HD800 in mind, with a low shelf it has pretty decent bass compared to other Sennheisers and can actually slam, not even close to Focal but still
I would never pick the 600/650 & 6XX over the 800 friend, that is considering all of them with EQ

MRC01

Major Contributor

If you like a treble-hot presentation, the HD800 may be just the thing for you. However, the bass is lacking and if you boost it to neutral it gets a bit loose. That said, the HD800 bass actually sounds fine, you won't know what you're missing until you compare it with a good planar. Yet it's hard to find planars that are linear through the mids & treble. Nothing's perfect, everyone's different, choose your poison.

As for listening trials, just buy 'em from a place that has a generous return policy, like Amazon or Headphones.com.

OP
PolkFan

PolkFan

Forum Donor
Sounds like you already have the HD800 in mind, with a low shelf it has pretty decent bass compared to other Sennheisers and can actually slam, not even close to Focal but still

I would never pick the 600/650 & 6XX over the 800 friend, that is considering all of them with EQ

SWEET i kind of want a fix for a few years and man it just sounds like that pair of cans has been speaking for me for years
If you like a treble-hot presentation, the HD800 may be just the thing for you. However, the bass is lacking and if you boost it to neutral it gets a bit loose. That said, the HD800 bass actually sounds fine, you won't know what you're missing until you compare it with a good planar. Yet it's hard to find planars that are linear through the mids & treble. Nothing's perfect, everyone's different, choose your poison.

As for listening trials, just buy 'em from a place that has a generous return policy, like Amazon or Headphones.com.

Do you think the bass is the same or worse then what the AKG 712's offer? If its as good i'm ok with that

OP
PolkFan

PolkFan

Forum Donor
If i put these 800HD's on and they sound like my beyerdynamics i will find you all lol no haha

I said "Slight treble"

For real i have 2 pairs from them and when i hear classical music i want to take an ice pick and stab my ears out

Ata

Forum Donor
A used Stax + amp should also be doable for USD 1000 or so, that would be another option to consider for a top shelf open headphone sound.

MRC01

Major Contributor
If i put these 800HD's on and they sound like my beyerdynamics i will find you all lol no haha
I said "Slight treble"
For real i have 2 pairs from them and when i hear classical music i want to take an ice pick and stab my ears out
What is "slight treble"? Everyone's different, true both subjectively (preferences) and objectively (HRTF). To me, most headphones sound artificially bright and the HD800 is excessively so, just un-listenable without EQ. Yet not quite as bad as Grados, which sound like a laser drill etching my ears. Headphones with darker tonal balance sound more natural to me. You won't know until you try... each to his own!

I will say that if the HD800 is too bright you may want to try the HD600. They're less spatial, yet also less bright. It's hard to find headphones that are highly spatial, that aren't also bright sounding. Definite correlation there.

OP
PolkFan

PolkFan

Forum Donor
I agree 100% the only way i will truly know is by putting them on my head

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Instead of HD800 look for HD800S. That one has a mild treble peak that won't stand out with classical music.
Bass needs a little help.

K712 and HD800(S) have a different tonal balance and are not neutral.

Both HD800 and HD800S need EQ. The treble peak can also be solved passively (for HD800 and HD800S).

Do I think they are still one of the best open headphones... yes.
THE best would be in the eyes of the beholder.
(With simple EQ) it is the headphone that I enjoy the most.

Carlo2AC

I said "Slight treble"

Well it won't be that monstrous mess that the DT 1770 is without EQ but it still will be sharp and lean without EQ

As i said above i wouldn't get one without delving into EQ

OP
PolkFan

PolkFan

Forum Donor
Instead of HD800 look for HD800S. That one has a mild treble peak that won't stand out with classical music.
Bass needs a little help.

K712 and HD800(S) have a different tonal balance and are not neutral.

Both HD800 and HD800S need EQ. The treble peak can also be solved passively (for HD800 and HD800S).

Do I think they are still one of the best open headphones... yes.
THE best would be in the eyes of the beholder.
(With simple EQ) it is the headphone that I enjoy the most.

Yeah i was wondering about the hd800s i wasn't so sure what they changed with that unit

MRC01

Major Contributor
With the HD800S, the 6-7 kHz resonance is reduced so it is closer to neutral (still bright, but less so). And the bass is a bit increased in level, still attenuated but not as much, yet the bass is not quite as clean or tight. Many people prefer the 800S as the combination of these 2 changes makes it less bright, and distortion is less noticeable in the bass.

If you're using EQ, the difference may be immaterial as you can make either sound like the other. If you're not using EQ, the 800S is closer to neutral in less need of EQ, though still on the bright side of neutral.

OP
PolkFan

PolkFan

Forum Donor
With the HD800S, the 6-7 kHz resonance is reduced so it is closer to neutral (still bright, but less so). And the bass is a bit increased in level, still attenuated but not as much, yet the bass is not quite as clean or tight. Many people prefer the 800S as the combination of these 2 changes makes it less bright, and distortion is less noticeable in the bass.

If you're using EQ, the difference may be immaterial as you can make either sound like the other. If you're not using EQ, the 800S is closer to neutral in less need of EQ, though still on the bright side of neutral.

Sounds like i will forget about the 800's and grab the 800s instead

I wish we could get a 1000$ new pair of cans with the best sound stage ever and an amazing neutral response i own 3 pairs of V based headphones and you know how often they are used?

As often as i have friends over which is at best every 3M

Top Bottom