• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Uncoloured phono cartridges

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

levimax

Major Contributor
Meh.

I've used 2 different SUTs across multiple cartridges, including with old school SPU and very modern carts.

SUTs, in theory, should only be used for stepping up the voltage; if they're adding any "magic", it's just another form of coloration.

If I want to add coloration, it's just easier to use EQ.

The Puffin is great for EQ.

I don't believe in magic and was being facetious. On the other hand voltage gain with no noise, tuning a Zobel network with a square wave per instructions from @SIY and having it all work together with 100 year old technology that sounds great is a kind of magic. If @Helicopter is interested in "MC stuff" SUT's are certainly interesting.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I don't believe in magic and was being facetious. On the other hand voltage gain with no noise, tuning a Zobel network with a square wave per instructions from @SIY and having it all work together with 100 year old technology that sounds great is a kind of magic. If @Helicopter is interested in "MC stuff" SUT's are certainly interesting.

Too much work when you can do so many more, and more fine-tuned, corrections with a DSP phono.

Again, I have SUTs. If I can get enough gain with low noise without them, I prefer not to use them.

Also, the good ones are a bit pricey. My Hashimoto HM-7 certainly wasn't cheap, especially for something passive.

Rockness

Maybe you should consider therapy? ;)

"Depending on the master" , that's the critical part. If they were made from the same master the digital file will always crush the vinyl.
And then if things like S/N, distortion, accuracy to the master tape, just about everything other than personal preference, the digital will always be miles ahead.
My God people, it's 2020, 40 years past vinyls prime.
Let it die a dignified death. :p

Those are simply bulls**t, sorry. I'm sure you do not know what you are talking about

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Those are simply bulls**t, sorry. I'm sure you do not know what you are talking about
Are you claiming that the master tape will be more accurately reproduced by making vinyl discs and playing them back using turntables and cartridges than by doing a digital capture and playing back through a DAC?

Rockness

Are you claiming that the master tape will be more accurately reproduced by making vinyl discs and playing them back using turntables and cartridges than by doing a digital capture and playing back through a DAC?
Correct

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
Well, maybe you'd like the one on vinyl better, but it flies in the face of facts to say the vinyl will be more accurate than a state-of-the art digital capture played back on a state-of-the-art DAC. Not attacking your preferences, but it seems you aren't expressing a mere preference.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You might reconsider what you just wrote ( it helps to read the posting you replied to, and try to understand what it says), and hopefully apologize.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Go listen to your ultracompressed under loudness was digital cd. :)

So that's a yes to the trolling.

Let's see how you do. We have a pretty well developed rating system, and so far you are way below average. Either step it up, or take it elsewhere please.

So hard to find a good troll these days.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Top Bottom