• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman Ananda Review (headphone)

GaryH

Major Contributor
I still don't understand what is your point in both topics. What are you trying to tell really ?
That restricting headphone comparisons/choices with a lower limit on price makes no sense (obviously an upper limit is fine however to stay below budget), because there is little to no correlation between price and sound quality of headphones, and as you've experienced, higher price doesn't necessarily result in better durability either. This hobby is certainly not only for the rich.

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I will go back to my trusty DT 770. Economy is f'ed right now so i don't think i will be able to buy anything soon. Ananda is 2x more expensive right now lol. I paid 6400, it's 12800 right now despite staying at the same $700 price. Things weren't this bad. I get into bitcoin to save up slowly but it dropped this month pretty bad. Unlucky month.
If you do buy another headphone at some point keep in mind what GaryH is saying in the post above mine....and for instance the Senn HD560s is a very good value choice in my experience.

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That restricting headphone comparisons/choices with a lower limit on price makes no sense (obviously an upper limit is fine however to stay below budget), because there is little to no correlation between price and sound quality of headphones, and as you've experienced, higher price doesn't necessarily result in better durability either. This hobby certainly is not only for the rich.
I agree with you. I said nothing against this. I guess you misunderstood our conversation regarding tonality between HD800S and it's competitors. I don't know why you felt you needed to say this.

odyo

If you do buy another headphone at some point keep in mind what GaryH is saying in the post above mine....and for instance the Senn HD560s is a very good value choice in my experience.
Thanks for the recommendation. I don't like 6xx variants but i heard good things about soundstage of 560S so i may get it.

GaryH

Major Contributor
I agree with you. I said nothing against this. I guess you misunderstood our conversation regarding tonality between HD800S and it's competitors. I don't know why you felt you needed to say this.
Because as many others do, you made the mistake of limiting the comparison to headphones of 'competitive' price, ignoring lower cost headphones, just following the artificially created marketing mantra of correlating price/performance bands, which has been shown to be false as you can see in the graph I linked above. To the user, any headphone of comparable level of sound quality to another should be seen as a competitor and included in comparisons. The only way price should come into it is setting an upper limit based on personal budget.

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the recommendation. I don't like 6xx variants but i heard good things about soundstage of 560S so i may get it.
That's right, I don't really like the 6XX variants either, I have the HD600 and it's soundstage is very poor for me, so the HD560s is quite different to the HD600 in this respect, and it also does bass better than the HD6XX variants.

Rayman30

Forum Donor
where can i find the txt file

Put this into a notepad, save it, then you can import it.

Preamp: -7.4 db
Filter 1: ON LS Fc 20 Hz Gain 4.0 dB Q 1.0
Filter 2: ON LS Fc 40 Hz Gain 3.0 dB Q 1.0
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 90 Hz Gain 1.5 dB Q 1.0
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 930 Hz Gain -2.0 dB Q 2.0
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 1850 Hz Gain 5.0 dB Q 2.5
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 8100 Hz Gain -4.0 dB Q 3.0
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 12000 Hz Gain -6.0 dB Q 3.0

Cisco150

Put this into a notepad, save it, then you can import it.

Preamp: -7.4 db
Filter 1: ON LS Fc 20 Hz Gain 4.0 dB Q 1.0
Filter 2: ON LS Fc 40 Hz Gain 3.0 dB Q 1.0
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 90 Hz Gain 1.5 dB Q 1.0
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 930 Hz Gain -2.0 dB Q 2.0
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 1850 Hz Gain 5.0 dB Q 2.5
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 8100 Hz Gain -4.0 dB Q 3.0
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 12000 Hz Gain -6.0 dB Q 3.0
Thank you as I'm new to this eq with .txt. I have a couple of txt eq files but was not sure I had this one.

Bernard23

I'm interested in the new Edition XS, that sit between the sundara and ananda, question is are they headless or golfing partner?? Guess I'm going to have to wait, as not seen quantitative reviews of them yet.

Bernard23

odyo

Whats the best eq settings for a warmer sound
1.png

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I liked this headphone when I first listened to it, I haven't tried the EQ but I did like the sound especially for electronic music.
I don't detect such high distortion as you measured, interesting. I wonder if your sample had bad QC (hifiman is known for this).

spartaman64

I liked this headphone when I first listened to it, I haven't tried the EQ but I did like the sound especially for electronic music.
I don't detect such high distortion as you measured, interesting. I wonder if your sample had bad QC (hifiman is known for this).
i mean even 94db would probably hurt my ears so at your listening levels the distortion probably isnt bad at all

Top Bottom