• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Your country's unofficial national anthem / song (city, area ditto also ok!)

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
I would agree with Winds Of Change. it seams strange since it is in english, but the song clearly simbolizes the recent history.
sad btw, how Germany's music culture is basicly american since the 80ies or so. If you ask me the Schlager is better than Germans think it is. Griechischer Wein is a fantastic song for example
Regarding Winds Of Change.Let's say that the song can be some kind of unofficial song for the whole of Europe (the World?) after the fall of the communist east.:)

Last edited:
OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
not sure the rest of Europe would agree with this
Aha, hm. ..Well, just say Russia, the fall of communism and Putin. I suspect he does not go and hum it every night. :)

Edit:
For other countries, hm. Let's say that there were big changes. Not everything turned out for the better for everyone. But most people probably do not want to go back to what it was before. Democracy seems to be preferable.

Democracy, the best of all bad forms of government, as they say.:)

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
When I lived in Oregon they would play this one on the public radio station I listened to. So horrible!
I've lived here for 8 years now....first I'd heard that (and last, thank you) :)

Larry B. Larabee

Canada:
UB40 - The earth dies screaming

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
From one of the funnest movies ever made. Mel Brooks first movie "The Producers".

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Rebbiputzmaker, I like your commitment. Looking forward to a little explanation of what it is that is why you posted those songs. Or there may be a common thread between them. Relationships, something that binds them together such as this:
(from Wikipedia)

Jazz på svenska ("Jazz in Swedish") is an album by the Swedish jazz pianist Jan Johansson. It was issued in 1964 and consists of jazz arrangements of Swedish folk songs. All arrangements are very sparse, consisting only of Johansson on piano and Georg Riedel on double bass. It went on to become the best selling Swedish jazz album of all time, selling a quarter of a million copies.[1] Many of the tracks hold a distinct renown in Swedish society, especially the lead track "Visa från Utanmyra" (Song from Utanmyra).

Which was then subtitled and song by:

Monica Zetterlund (born Eva Monica Nilsson; 20 September 1937 – 12 May 2005) was a Swedish jazz singer and actress.[1] Through her lifetime, she starred in over 10 Swedish film productions and recorded over 20 studio albums. She gained international fame through her collaborative album with Bill Evans, Waltz for Debby.

Zetterlund began by learning the classic jazz songs from radio and records, initially not knowing the language and what they sang about in English. Her hit songs included "Sakta vi gå genom stan" (Swedish cover of "Walking My Baby Back Home"; in Swedish a tribute to Stockholm town), "Visa från Utanmyra", ........

Moncia Zetterlund, grew up in Värmland ...

Värmland (Swedish pronunciation: [ˈvæ̌rmland] ( audio speaker icon listen)) is a landskap (historical province) in west-central Sweden. It borders Västergötland, Dalsland, Dalarna, Västmanland, and Närke, and is bounded by Norway in the west. Latin name versions are Varmelandia,[2] Vermelandia,[3] Wermelandia,[4] Værmalandia, Værmolandia, Virmolandia and Vermillandia. Some of the Latinised forms show the origin of the name to come from the large local lake by the name of Värmeln [sv; ceb; no] (from older *Virmil); others from the river name *Værma, the main outlet of said lake.[5] The province was originally part of Götaland, and became part of Svealand in 1815.[6]

Which leads to:

"Ack Värmeland, du sköna" or "Värmlandsvisan" is a Swedish popular song best known in the English-speaking world as "Dear Old Stockholm".

And so on..

Last edited:

StevenEleven

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Last edited:
Top Bottom