• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Soncoz LA-QXD1 DAC VS SCHITT Modius? for use with Topping A90 and HE6SE v2

Soncoz LA-QXD1 DAC VS SCHITT Modius vs SMSL M300 MKII for pairing with an A90?

• Soncoz LA-QXD1

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • SCHITT Modius

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • SMSL M300 MKII

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters

Jamesj562

I already have a A90 and the HE6SE on hand. I ran a topping d10s that I had laying around into the a90 and it’s barely enough volume on some tracks after eq. The topping belongs to a different set up in my car audio build so I need to buy a dac anyway.

Is their a Clear winner between the Soncoz LA-QXD1 DAC VS SCHITT Modius vs SMSL M300 MKII for pairing with an A90? I primarily use an android phone via usb player pro and usbc cable and occasionally an iPhone 12 pro max via usb camera kit to feed my dac.

The price difference is not relevant to me and if there’s another choice under $300 please feel free to mention it.

Thank you all. I have read both reviews and entirety as well I am just a novice so I am looking for guidance.

Last edited:

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I seriously doubt you will hear a difference between any of them. I like the Soncoz for its design, the Schitt for the good customer service if you're in the USA, and the M300 for the remote. You could also consider a Topping E50.

OP
J

Jamesj562

I seriously doubt you will hear a difference between any of them. I like the Soncoz for its design, the Schitt for the good customer service if you're in the USA, and the M300 for the remote. You could also consider a Topping E50.
I’m in California same as Schitt. I like the idea of the Magnius from an aesthetic standpoint it aesthetically looks like the best stacked dac for the a90 other than d70/90.

I picked up a SMSL M300 MKII open box on Amazon for $210 so for the time being I will be testing it starting tomorrow. I am very tempted to just end my decision and order the Magnius however I have had good results with my current Topping d10s in my car and the E50 Is using some of Topping’s latest tech so that is appealing to me. I am also considering the SMSL su-9(almost $200 more not sure if worth it) and

Attachments

• 2AE76DEA-3B7E-4FBE-B523-9A81B0E338CF.png
    2AE76DEA-3B7E-4FBE-B523-9A81B0E338CF.png
    840.2 KB · Views: 113

Shazb0t

The Modius is cheap and I haven't seen reports of any real QC issues with it. I've had one for over a year without any issues. The Soncoz would be my next choice, but it did have some reported QC hiccups that may or may not be resolved now. I'd go with the Modius.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m in California same as Schitt. I like the idea of the Magnius from an aesthetic standpoint it aesthetically looks like the best stacked dac for the a90 other than d70/90.

I picked up a SMSL M300 MKII open box on Amazon for $210 so for the time being I will be testing it starting tomorrow. I am very tempted to just end my decision and order the Magnius however I have had good results with my current Topping d10s in my car and the E50 Is using some of Topping’s latest tech so that is appealing to me. I am also considering the SMSL su-9(almost $200 more not sure if worth it) and
If you order, make sure its the Modius not the Magnius you get.

OP
J

Jamesj562

I use a D30 Pro with the A90 and it is excellent. (I also use HE6se with this setup). If you sign up with Apos you can get an Apos Certified unit for $340

You might not see the above link until you sign up.

The 4V output using XLR will sure help drive your HE6se.

I also have a Topping E50 ($269) that works as well (both are awesome balanced DAC's) , excellent using the balanced out (4V).
Does the E50 come with the adapters needed? Have you sampled them both enough objectively to say that you prefer one over the other?

OP
J

Jamesj562

So after an hour of using the M300mKii over XLR into my a90 it clips and distorts on the top end where as my basic d10s over rca never distorted on top end. Overall not impressed. Volume still not where it should be. I though the jump from 2V to 4V via XLR would have cured my volume search.

OP
J

Jamesj562

Not sure if this makes any sense as I am still a novice in the headphone amplifier world but the Sundara paired the atom plus to the the d10s over rca got way above what I would consider the volume listening level I am looking for on this current new setup. Basically my old set up was putting out way more output than my new current set up despite it being almost 3 or four times the cost

I am stunned at in an a90 plus m300 mkii over XLR can’t drive the 6se v2 to similar if not higher levels.

ktrueh

Just an anecdotal story, but I've had issues with the modius where it wouldn't play sound after the computer was put on sleep mode. I would have to restart my computer or restart the dac (by pulling out the usb).

For some reason starting a month ago, the modius would die, and require me to pull out the cable and replug it into a different usb port.

I emailed Schitt a couple times, but there has been no response, even though I am still under warranty. Guess I won't support them any further.

I rather have gone with the SMSL.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
So after an hour of using the M300mKii over XLR into my a90 it clips and distorts on the top end where as my basic d10s over rca never distorted on top end. Overall not impressed. Volume still not where it should be. I though the jump from 2V to 4V via XLR would have cured my volume search.
How are you controlling the volume? At the source (Mac/PC), on the SMSL M300, or on the Topping A90?

OP
J

Jamesj562

How are you controlling the volume? At the source (Mac/PC), on the SMSL M300, or on the Topping A90?
I have the volume set to max on my 12 promax iPhone and also on my android phone using USB pro player. I have toggle fixed volume input and manual volume from 0 to 40 on the dac and it makes no difference. On medium gain with the volume knob on the Topping a 90 cranked all the way to the max it is barely above what I would consider podcast level volume which would be like speaking to someone next to you in the room.

On high gain I have to take it to 3 o’clock to enjoy 90% of my music and I take it as far as four to 5 o’clock and it starts to clip and distort my headphones

OP
J

Jamesj562

Hmmm .. I wasn't aware you already had a very capable XLR DAC. IMO, I don't think you are going to gain anything getting a new DAC. I wouldn't waste the money. The MK2 can indeed put out very high quality audio through XLR at 4.2Vrms.

I think the problem points to your source. Or settings in UAPP (gain/ software/hardware volume control, etc.. ..... something seems amiss). Can you use a different USB source? Or even try the other digital IN's on the smsl. (coax/optical)

I use an Android based Pioneer DAP (XDP-100R) set to fixed volume out (100%). The Pioneer feeds the D30 Pro (USB) which is set to DAC mode (fixed volume out 100%). I only need to use medium gain on the A90. No distortion even to 100% A90 volume (very loud) with HE6se. A breeze to transport high rez audio, including DSF to the A90. There is no reason you should not be experiencing similar, distortion free volume levels.

Sundara is way easier to drive than HE6se out of A90. (I have those too)

The smsl and A90 should pair well and be as good as anything.
I’ve tried MacBook Pro 2015, iPad Pro 2021 via usb c via tidal and Apple Music, iPhone 12 Pro Max, mototrolla one ace 5g via usb pro player with all ad ons purchased(basic android phone with usb c) all via the usb input and a little bit via Bluetooth (just to compare).

At this point I’m convinced it’s the headphones that’s holding back the situation for some reason these do not want to be driven past the low end side of loud. The Sundara on a $100 atom amp was outputting much much more volume. I never pushed it but it was able to do much more output past the point of where I would ever listen.

Attachments

• AF92CEDD-F702-46AD-80DB-AF8E81F49A94.jpeg
    AF92CEDD-F702-46AD-80DB-AF8E81F49A94.jpeg
    171.9 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

escalibur

How about Topping E50 ?

Walter

How much headroom are you allowing for EQ? Just making sure you haven't allocated some crazy amount, as this combo seems as if it should work fine.

It is also possible you have a defective component. Maybe the M300, or maybe the A90 or HE6SE. Since the DAC is still returnable, I agree that is the logical place to start.

OP
J

Jamesj562

It's incredible the differences we are experiencing. My HE6se is driven loud on medium gain, and thunderously loud on high gain with no hint of clipping or distortion.

When using the USB digital inpt on the SMSL, are you using the separate 5V power into the DAC too? Does it even work with just powering from the digital USB in?

Yes it comes with its own dedicated power supply for the SMSL dac.

That’s the part that’s throwing me off we are in completely different worlds in terms of how we are describing the output and it doesn’t seem like her and inputs are that much different. On my set up I can’t even use the medium gain As at full turning up the volume knob I am still below and I would consider conversational volume between two adults in real life

OP
J

Jamesj562

How much headroom are you allowing for EQ? Just making sure you haven't allocated some crazy amount, as this combo seems as if it should work fine.

It is also possible you have a defective component. Maybe the M300, or maybe the A90 or HE6SE. Since the DAC is still returnable, I agree that is the logical place to start.

-7.6db Plus or - 0.2.

The headphones are only three days old. The open box dac just arrived today(Amazon). Headphones were purchase brand-new from Adorama. Still within the return for both the headphones and the dac. Still kind of undecided what direction I wanna go As I really expected more out of this set up versus my initial budget set up of Sundara/atom +/ d10s.

OP
J

Jamesj562

When I run it through any idevice such as iPhone iPad etc With no EQ I get much closer to desired output( but I lose the balance of a properly eq’d headphone) but still not anywhere where I feel like I’m pushing the limits of what I was doing on the previous set up nor do I push the limits towards uncomfortable I feel like with this level of amp and dac I should be able to push it 115+ db

Top Bottom