• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ISOTEK EVO3 Aquarius Power Conditioner Review

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 209 93.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 6 2.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 5 2.2%

• Total voters

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the ISOTEK EVO3 Aquarius AC Power conditioner and filter. It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $1,999.

ISOTEK - EVO3 Aquarius Power Conditioner Review.jpg

From the front, the unit looks fine but on the back, I was disappointed by the thin sheet metal that bent when I tried to insert and remove the included "Premier C19"
AC cable:

ISOTEK - EVO3 Aquarius Power Conditioner Review Back Panel AC Sockets High Current.jpg

Likewise, the sockets feel plasticky and loose as evidenced by them not lining up. On positive front, I like the 20 amp rated socket.

The unit has won a number of accolades:

“In suppressing line noise, IsoTek unlocks low-level transparency in the same way that removing layers of old wax from a fine wood surface allows more of the inherent depth and beauty of the wood-grain patterns to shine forth.”
– Neil Gader, The Absolute Sound

"That the IsoTek Aquarius revealed previously unheard details from my familiar LPs, says it all. An effective improvement to a good hi-fi system, this serious product justifies its price."

Hi-Fi World

"The lift in performance is quite remarkable."
Hi-Fi Choice

"[A] mains product really has to do something extremely special to beat the IsoTek Aquarius."
Hi-Fi+

"The Aquarius is brilliant."
Record Collector

Let's see if we can objectively verify any of this.

ISOTEK EVO3 Aquarius Measurements
As usual with power devices, I first determine their "transfer function" but treating it as if were a preamplifier. I feed it balanced sine wave and measure what comes out:
Isotek EVO3 AQUARIUS Measurements Filtering Audio AC Filter Conditioner.png

While there is some filtering, it doesn't kick in until 1 kHz. You might think this is still good but is not when we look at where the "problem areas" are in AC mains. Here is the measurement and spectrum of my AC feed tonight:

AC Mains Measurements Filtering Audio AC Filter Conditioner.png

We see that our sinewave is visually distorted. Looking to the right FFT spectrum, we see the desired 60 Hz main in that first tall spike. But then we have a ton of harmonics and noise. The worse part of this is up 600 Hz or so. In order for filtering to make a difference, it needs to go way lower, ideally down to 120 Hz. Let's see if the EVO3 does that:

Isotek EVO3 AQUARIUS Measurements Dashboard Filtering Audio AC Filter Conditioner.png

As we could tell from the transfer function, it does not do that. It attenuated the higher spectrum but that was already way low in level anyway. To wit our SIAND for the AC mains is essentially the same: 34.3 dB vs 34.1 dB. Here is a higher resolution FFT showing the same:

Isotek EVO3 AQUARIUS Measurements Filtering FFT Audio AC Filter Conditioner.png

But maybe the device does something with a real audio product connected to it. For that, I grabbed the excellent Topping PA5 stereo amplifier and tested it first with its cord going directly to AC mains:

Topping PA5 Measurements Amplifier Stereo.png

Now let's power it through the ISOTEK EVO3:

Topping PA5 Measurements Through ISOTEK EVO3 Aquarius Filter AC Amplifier Stereo.png

Beyond run to run variation, there is no difference whatsoever.

Let's do a power sweep and see if that shows any difference:

Topping PA5 Measurements Power at 4 ohm Through ISOTEK EVO3 Aquarius Filter AC Amplifier Stereo.png

Nothing. No difference at all where the output is noise dominated (e.g. below 60 watts) or at max power.

Conclusions
As I have explained many times, the reason these devices don't do anything for your audio system is twofold:

1. They don't filter high amplitude harmonics and noise in AC mains which is below 500 Hz and most of it below 240 Hz. Such filtering will be quite expensive and large.

2. The first thing our audio devices do is convert AC to DC. That conversion has mandatory filtering which is far easier to implement due to much lower voltages.

So no wonder that in test after test, we find no difference in quality of AC mains, or output of audio device tested.

Why do people attribute better fidelity to these devices? Simple: lay intuition says "filtering" removes noise. So they pay more attention to what is playing and "hear more into the music" with the AC conditioner in the path. And report veils removed, noise floor going down, blacker backgrounds, etc. This happens even if I gave them an empty box but told them it is a power conditioner.

The only time above false observations go away is if the testing only uses one's ear, i.e. blind testing. Then, the listener doesn't know if the device is in the path or not, and will read such differences into either sample showing no statistically valid value to the device. Sadly, people don't want to know the truth here as that would invalidate years of claiming other differences so false statements are made about benefits of such devices. And folks become $2,000 poorer that they could have used on something more useful.

Needless to say, I can't recommend the ISOTEK EVO3 Aquarius.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Madlop26

Nice review Amir i am glad you are back, i hope things at home are much better. Should not these guys who makes these worthless expensive devices be penalized by law or sue? i know they only take advantage of the weak minds, but still ethically wrong.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Unbelievable that this is $2k.

Ridiculous product that doesn't even look cool.

I hear them laughing all the way to bank. Really would love to hear what the enginers and management say when no one else is around.
Prolly something along the line of 'cha ching'.

audio2design

Major Contributor
This is a review and detailed measurements of the ISOTEK EVO3 Aquarius AC Power conditioner and filter. It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $1,999.

View attachment 181182

From the front, the unit looks fine but on the back, I was disappointed by the thin sheet metal that bent when I tried to insert and remove the included "Premier C19"
AC cable:

View attachment 181185

Likewise, the sockets feel plasticky and loose as evidenced by them not lining up. On positive front, I like the 20 amp rated socket.

The unit has won a number of accolades:

“In suppressing line noise, IsoTek unlocks low-level transparency in the same way that removing layers of old wax from a fine wood surface allows more of the inherent depth and beauty of the wood-grain patterns to shine forth.”
– Neil Gader, The Absolute Sound

"That the IsoTek Aquarius revealed previously unheard details from my familiar LPs, says it all. An effective improvement to a good hi-fi system, this serious product justifies its price."

Hi-Fi World

"The lift in performance is quite remarkable."
Hi-Fi Choice

"[A] mains product really has to do something extremely special to beat the IsoTek Aquarius."
Hi-Fi+

"The Aquarius is brilliant."
Record Collector

Let's see if we can objectively verify any of this.

ISOTEK EVO3 Aquarius Measurements
As usual with power devices, I first determine their "transfer function" but treating it as if were a preamplifier. I feed it balanced sine wave and measure what comes out:
View attachment 181186

While there is some filtering, it doesn't kick in until 1 kHz. You might think this is still good but is not when we look at where the "problem areas" are in AC mains. Here is the measurement and spectrum of my AC feed tonight:

View attachment 181187

We see that our sinewave is visually distorted. Looking to the right FFT spectrum, we see the desired 60 Hz main in that first tall spike. But then we have a ton of harmonics and noise. The worse part of this is up 600 Hz or so. In order for filtering to make a difference, it needs to go way lower, ideally down to 120 Hz. Let's see if the EVO3 does that:

View attachment 181188

As we could tell from the transfer function, it does not do that. It attenuated the higher spectrum but that was already way low in level anyway. To wit our SIAND for the AC mains is essentially the same: 34.3 dB vs 34.1 dB. Here is a higher resolution FFT showing the same:

View attachment 181192

But maybe the device does something with a real audio product connected to it. For that, I grabbed the excellent Topping PA5 stereo amplifier and tested it first with its cord going directly to AC mains:

View attachment 181189

Now let's power it through the ISOTEK EVO3:

View attachment 181190

Beyond run to run variation, there is no difference whatsoever.

Let's do a power sweep and see if that shows any difference:

View attachment 181191

Nothing. No difference at all where the output is noise dominated (e.g. below 60 watts) or at max power.

Conclusions
As I have explained many times, the reason these devices don't do anything for your audio system is twofold:

1. They don't filter high amplitude harmonics and noise in AC mains which is below 500 Hz and most of it below 240 Hz. Such filtering will be quite expensive and large.

2. The first thing our audio devices do is convert AC to DC. That conversion has mandatory filtering which is far easier to implement due to much lower voltages.

So no wonder that in test after test, we find no difference in quality of AC mains, or output of audio device tested.

Why do people attribute better fidelity to these devices? Simple: lay intuition says "filtering" removes noise. So they pay more attention to what is playing and "hear more into the music" with the AC conditioner in the path. And report veils removed, noise floor going down, blacker backgrounds, etc. This happens even if I gave them an empty box but told them it is a power conditioner.

The only time above false observations go away is if the testing only uses one's ear, i.e. blind testing. Then, the listener doesn't know if the device is in the path or not, and will read such differences into either sample showing no statistically valid value to the device. Sadly, people don't want to know the truth here as that would invalidate years of claiming other differences so false statements are made about benefits of such devices. And folks become $2,000 poorer that they could have used on something more useful.

Needless to say, I can't recommend the ISOTEK EVO3 Aquarius.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

It's a good thing it does not filter down to 120Hz or a lot of equipment would not work. You are only looking at voltage spectrum when the critical spectrum is current spectrum in application and that in application is critical. Linear supplies and even some switch mode supplies need those higher frequencies in the current spectrum otherwise your rectified DC voltage would drop below design values especially under heavy load.

The filter response will also be significantly impacted by the load impedance. The open loop test you are doing would not provide an accurate response under load.

Your test also does not appear to provide any indication of common mode noise rejection, only line-neutral differential mode rejection. Most power supplies as you have noted are more than sufficient to eliminate differential noise. Common mode noise is often more insidious but that does not take $2000 to filter. $10's of dollars of components is enough.

That said, it is not surprising there is no measurable difference both because of the isolation of the AP system and that most people simply don't have either the noise sources that would create issues in their house nor equipment that is sensitive to it. The filters in switch mode supplies that lets them pass FCC also are good at rejecting external differential and common mode noise. I would not expect all audio equipment to be so lucky (think Carver 275).

It makes no sense to buy equipment like this unless you have an issue and that issue would be readily evident.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm - have you ever tested the AC line from a true online UPS output vs the wall output? One that converts the AC to DC and then back to AC again?
I don't remember for sure. Will test one at some point.

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Would love to see if it actually cleans up mains harmonics. Wouldn't make f all difference to DACs, but I feel like there would be improvements for older style class AB amplifiers (especially big ones) that seem to always bleed mains harmonics to the speaker terminals.

Obvious caveats being that 3kVA true online UPS's all have noisy fans, and I've read subjectivist reports of them crushing dynamics. Be interesting to see if the large linear power supply of the amp upsets the UPS somehow...

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Your test also does not appear to provide any indication of common mode noise rejection, only line-neutral differential mode rejection.
We have been through all of this before. People who buy this gear are not hearing any kind of mains noise they are trying to eliminate. They think these devices improve the inherent fidelity of the audio gear itself which has nothing to do with what you are stating. Read the reviews I have quoted to understand better.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It's a good thing it does not filter down to 120Hz or a lot of equipment would not work.
Sure they will. The energy is 40 dB down reference 60 Hz. If any gear is relying on that to work, it needs to be redesigned.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The filter response will also be significantly impacted by the load impedance. The open loop test you are doing would not provide an accurate response under load.
No test was open loop. The transfer function used 600 ohm impedance. And the Topping PA5 presented the real life load.

audio2design

Major Contributor
Sure they will. The energy is 40 dB down reference 60 Hz. If any gear is relying on that to work, it needs to be redesigned.

That's looking purely at voltage. Now take an amplifier with a linear supply and look at the frequency spectrum of the current waveform on the AC input.

audio2design

Major Contributor
No test was open loop. The transfer function used 600 ohm impedance. And the Topping PA5 presented the real life load.

24 watts is reasonable for lower powered devices (120^2/600). Some class-A amps obviously draw far more continuously. The filtering will get worse the heavier the load.

audio2design

Major Contributor
Would love to see if it actually cleans up mains harmonics. Wouldn't make f all difference to DACs, but I feel like there would be improvements for older style class AB amplifiers (especially big ones) that seem to always bleed mains harmonics to the speaker terminals.

Obvious caveats being that 3kVA true online UPS's all have noisy fans, and I've read subjectivist reports of them crushing dynamics. Be interesting to see if the large linear power supply of the amp upsets the UPS somehow...

I expect it would do nothing. You need very large inductance to do that and that will cause voltage droop on the DC side. That's what choke regulation in a linear supply does. Better to eschew the linear and use a switcher.

Top Bottom