• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

RHO

Major Contributor
...I got swayed by this...is this somehing I missed on this thread...???...

...this guy is pretty hard o the RME...and audio forums...

Another storyteller.

Trell

Major Contributor

His handling and usage comments of the RME DAC (that has very many features) are fair points with some resolved in later firmware updates (like selection of PEQ presets via remote and keys on the device). He don't like forums to get answers to use a device, fair enough, but he could have tried reading the manual which will answer many questions.

Much of the rest is just the usual audiophool tripe we've seen and heard so many times.

Last edited:

CMB

+1 its helpful when people can read (manuals)

I am not even sure if these 2 products are comparable.
Maybe for headphone listener only.

For my usage (nearly never listen through headphones) I would not have even considered the Monolith.
Would be happy to find cheaper alternatives to RME with all its useful tools.
But for now, didn't find anything close to it.

And now, with the orange display, it sounds even so much better (my wife is happy = has a huge influence of the sound/lower noise floor).

amper42

Major Contributor

Apparently, the discontinued MONOLITH THX-AAA 788 didn't catch on while the RME ADI-2 is still selling strong. So much for the value of that video. :p

Hapo

...FWIW methinks the fire had much to do with that...other reviews share much the same sentiments...

...try finding a used MONOLITH THX-AAA on the market...

...methinks I am more like this guy than most of you...

...FWIW I was thinking of this (or that) device primarily as a DAC...consider that I am overwhelmed by the features of my smart phone...

...I want to step up from a Schitt Modi3+...I have an Auidiolab 6000 CDTCD trasnport I want to make the most of among other things...

Last edited:

Trell

Major Contributor
RME released a new firmware:

Personally the increase in options for auto standby is welcome as the previous of 30 min only was a bit short for me.

>>>
Pro and DAC

- BB and BT have been added as band 0 and band 6 to the grapical EQ screen. They become adjustable as soon as Load B/T with Preset is set to ON. This finalizes the integration of B/T into the 5-band EQ, turing it into an easy to use 7-band one.
- Digital DC Protection got a third option: Filter. And from now on this one is Default. Existing customers need to select it manually. Filter adds a special, smooth high pass to the DA path, with zero latency, very low THD and phase deviation. This filter has a corner frequency of 7 Hz, to not only cancel DC but also reduce the amount of inaudible and imperceptible infrasound a bit that plagues some sources. The filter is the final solution for this topic, added to the FPGA, not the (already overloaded) DSP.

- Auto Standby now has the options 30min, 1h, 2h and 4h.
- Some visualization tuning: the horizontal level meter got 10 dB markers...

Pro

- Bugfix: USB recording from digital inputs works again in multichannel mode
- Selecting Display - Horizontal Meter - Post FX dBu now also shows dBu for the analog input. While this can be handy to measure the incoming signal, one will only see valid values when there is no processing active.
<<<

Last edited:

cheapsoundguy

For the RME ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, does anyone know if it's possible to use the USB PC connection as both an input and output? Basically I want to run DIRAC on my PC with digital input and digital output using the RME ADI-2.

So sound in from the Bluesound Node, out to the PC, run DIRAC on the audio, then back into the RME ADI2 Pro. So possible to do in and out simultaneously?

Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 2.13.55 PM.png

Last edited:

HIGHDOWN

Apparently, the discontinued MONOLITH THX-AAA 788 didn't catch on while the RME ADI-2 is still selling strong. So much for the value of that video. :p
Lol Monoprice discontinued it so they can release their updated version. The reason for the updates is because it sold so well. This is also most likely because they have ran out of same AKM chips that the ADI-2 also uses since the factory caught fire.

A $500 dac/amp unit with PEQ and DIRAC built in. There are only a few units in the market that offers that. I enjoy my 788 over my ADI-2. I haven't touched my ADI-2 ever since I had it and will be on listed for sale on Reddit soon..

9goulqzc5bb81.png

Last edited:

Hapo

9goulqzc5bb81.png

...methinks he means "because we ran out of DAC chips"...

Reactions: CMB

Trell

Major Contributor
A $500 dac/amp unit with PEQ and DIRAC built in. There are only a few units in the market that offers that. I enjoy my 788 over my ADI-2.
The 788 does not have DIRAC, so you claim the successor will when it is released? Do you have a source for that? I think that many would like DIRAC builtin.

KSTR

Major Contributor
For the RME ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, does anyone know if it's possible to use the USB PC connection as both an input and output? Basically I want to run DIRAC on my PC with digital input and digital output using the RME ADI-2.

So sound in from the Bluesound Node, out to the PC, run DIRAC on the audio, then back into the RME ADI2 Pro. So possible to do in and out simultaneously?

View attachment 180849
Yes, this is perfectly possible with the Pro.

You can "record" the SPDIF Coax/Opt signal via USB, process it, and "play" it back to the main outputs.

The RME must be setup in USB Mode and to clock from the SPDIF, and of course the same sample rate must then be selected for USB. Also you have to set it to USB Multichannel Mode in order to capture from SPDIF (in Stereo Mode you have only access to the analog input).

EDIT: for different source samples rates you could use the built-in Sampe Rate Converter and clock the RME from internal clock (which then is selected automatically to the USB-requested rate) for simplicity. Otherwise you'll need distinct setups for Dirac/USB to care for each of the sample rates you want to support.

Last edited:

Trell

Major Contributor

View attachment 180849

I just tried to do that with my ADI-2 DAC FS with recording SPDIF in Audacity and play it back using USB. The Pro is a different device with more input/output as well as a SRC (sample rate converter), but I'll guess it will work on that unit.

Best to check the manual and ask on the RME forum: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewforum.php?id=21

If you already have the Pro device you can try it out yourself.

Edit: @KSTR beat me to it.

HIGHDOWN

The 788 does not have DIRAC, so you claim the successor will when it is released? Do you have a source for that? I think that many would like DIRAC builtin.
The Monolith Monoprice THX 788 has DIRAC for headphones builtin.

RHO

Major Contributor
That seems to be correct. But I think we are talking about full Dirac room correction when the amp is used as a pre-amp.

Trell

Major Contributor

Ah, yes the Dirac Sensaround II which appears to be some kind of DSP that is not based on measurements.

Builtin DIRAC for room EQ is what I was thinking of, add to that a subwoofer out, and it would generate much interest.

HIGHDOWN

That seems to be correct. But I think we are talking about full Dirac room correction when the amp is used as a pre-amp.
Oh, I suppose. Yes definitely not the same as DIRAC Live/room correction but for headphone users, the DIRAC for Headphones provides a total different listening experience for anyone who wants their headphones to sound like a totally different pair.

RHO

Major Contributor
Oh, I suppose. Yes definitely not the same as DIRAC Live/room correction but for headphone users, the DIRAC for Headphones provides a total different listening experience for anyone who wants their headphones to sound like a totally different pair.
I have that integrated on my phone. It sucks! Everything sound like you're listening in an untreated concrete or glass cube.

Trell

Major Contributor

My favourite DSP on the ADI-2 DAC is Dynamic Loudness, and that feature was one of the major reasons as to why I bought that DAC.

E2F0DA6B-38AD-4F9C-9B00-0A7DBCC73E08.jpeg

RME ADI 2 FS DAC in action.
Where I enjoy music - sitting in a recliner with music source and dac/amp just a reach away. The remote makes for easy access and adjustment. Have to say, form feature and performance of this dac is all I can ask for given the location and space restriction.

With the recently released firmware update, I have it set up as a 7 band equaliser, very nice. My only criticism is the level range of the T/B control needs to be higher than 6 if used as a part of the equaliser... I will file a feature adjustment request with RME.

Last edited:
Top Bottom