• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Starke Sound AD4.320 Amp Review (Sample 2)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 242 94.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 7 2.7%

• Total voters

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I reviewed and measured the Starke Sound AD4.320 multichannel amplifier a few months ago. This is the measurements of a second sample kindly sent in by a member.
Stark AD4.320 Review sample 2 Multichannel Amplifier.jpg

The first sample missed its power by a factor of two. Company disputed this and promised their own measurements that would show otherwise. This did not materialize. We did find out that the review sample received by Audioholics had similar power shortfall to my (new) sample. Explanation given through Audioholics was that a few samples had miswired power supplies rated for 240 instead of 120. This was puzzling as the unit has a switch for such selection internally. I have not heard of any new results by Audioholics but a member sent me his unit for measurement so let's see how it does.

Starke Sound AD4.320 Measurements (Sample #2)
I am only going to post abbreviated measurements to verify whether this sample is any different. Let's start with our dashboard:

Stark AD4.320 Measurements Multichannel Amplifier.png

While the nature of power supply noise and to small extend distortion spectrum is different, overall SINAD matches the same as the last unit. So at 5 watts into 4 ohm, the two units match. Key though is to see how much power we have. Let's start with 4 ohm:

Stark AD4.320 Measurements Power into 4 ohm Multichannel Amplifier.png

Well, we have the same results and massive shortfall relative to 320 watt spec as I have copied into the graph from their website. Allowing for 1% distortion again produces similar results to sample 1:

Stark AD4.320 Measurements Max and Peak Power into 4 ohm Multichannel Amplifier.png

Same story with 8 ohm:

Stark AD4.320 Measurements Power into 8 ohm Multichannel Amplifier.png

64 watts vs specifications of 225 watts and I am only driving two channels instead of four they claim.

I decided to test just one channel to rule out power supply capacity issue:

Stark AD4.320 Measurements One Channel Power into 4 ohm Multichannel Amplifier.png

We get a bit more power but still less than half of the company spec. So supply capacity is not an issue.

As to demystify power measurements, here is our dashboard again, this time measuring the unit with 160 watts out:
Stark AD4.320 Measurements Clipping Multichannel Amplifier.png

We easily see that the sinewave is clipping so the amplifier is beyond its capability.

Conclusions
As I think all of us predicted, this amplifier simply cannot produce its rated power. Somewhere from inception to what they are shipping, the design has changed to produce far less power. Customers sadly though, have been buying these amps thinking this amplifier produces 4 times 320 watts which it can't remotely do. Company needs to step up and be transparent about the issue here. Owners and I should not be saddled with continuing to spend money and resources to test their products. It only makes things worse for them.

I can't recommend buying this amplifier or any product from Starke Sound. You can't promise people one gallon of milk but put half as much in the jug....

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

GWolfman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks Amir (@amirm)! What an embarrassment for them. They need to come clean, and quick or the stain will set in and their brand will be forever tarnished. If for somehow there was a change in production that caused this serious flaw (hard to imagine given the huge discrepancy), they must man up and point it out and issue a voluntary recall. That's their only saving grace.

GWolfman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Directly from their website:

22eacd0333a85ad8fb1a6f85d4618d8a.png
Established in 2009

We are an audio equipment company focused on multi-channel movie and music reproduction in the home, pursuing the best sound quality from family room to private theater.
(underline mine)

Keep pursuing it guys, you've got a long way to go! Now just be honest about it along the way...

JSmith

Master Contributor
This is actually deplorable and in many countries will breach consumer laws... as claiming such spec's is blatantly misleading. This kind of thing makes me quite angry... :mad:
I want my money back from Starke for my Ad4.
You most certainly should demand so. Please, update the thread with their response to you, or a summary.

JSmith

SpaceMonkey

Not sure, but probably Starke is doing some 20msec measurement instead of RMS power...

Koeitje

Major Contributor
At least they are consistent...

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder if some day a small company goes bankrupt because of ASR
That would also mean a small company would go successful because of ASR, meritocracy wins.

JSmith

Master Contributor
I wonder if some day a small company goes bankrupt because of ASR
... lying to their customers about basic specifications. Don't shoot the messenger... after the first effort they could have at least been more realistic with their product claims. It's outright misleading, so don't come in here trying to blame ASR.

JSmith

Top Bottom