• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Arendal 1961 Bookshelf review (by Erin)

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Excellent small bookshelf with regards to it's output. The f3 does seem a lot higher than the specifications suggest.
Eyeballing the graph, it seems f3 is 100hz, while Arendal specifies an f3 of 75 hz. That's just incorrect.
What's your take on this @hardisj?
Good catch, the company's measurements show a box tuning that is different than Erin's measurements.

The company's measurements indicate a Q=0.707 tuning at 75Hz (roughly).

Now I want to be clear that I think the company got things messed up not Erin, don't want to start another 'Erin measurements bad' discussion when that's not what I'm insinuating.

1642585268926.png

1642585583780.png

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I remember
Now that is something very interesting. Anything about those dates?

I remember drinking a lot of Heineken, lying on the carpet in my exit row seat area, on the flight back from Heathrow to Syd via HK, where I met a gorgeous Norwegian girl who happened to be coming to holiday in the place where I lived. The best 14 hour flight ever.

Honken

Scgorg

Perhaps it has ties to the town rather than the country? Look for 1723 on this page for example:
This is precisely it. The 1723 name refers to the proper founding of the town, so to speak.
1961 refers to the year a bridge was built from Arendal to Tromøya, which was very welcome among the citizens.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
The numbers of their series are historical dates from the area where these speakers originated.

1723 is when the town of Arendal was given a status of being a market town (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_town)
1961 is when a nearby island (Tromøy) got a proper connetion (bridge) to the mainland. At the time it was one of the longest suspension bridges in existence (400 metres).

Doctors11

This is precisely it. The 1723 name refers to the proper founding of the town, so to speak.
1961 refers to the year a bridge was built from Arendal to Tromøya, which was very welcome among the citizens.
Thanks...beat me to it!

Doctors11

I remember

I remember drinking a lot of Heineken, lying on the carpet in my exit row seat area, on the flight back from Heathrow to Syd via HK, where I met a gorgeous Norwegian girl who happened to be coming to holiday in the place where I lived. The best 14 hour flight ever.
Was that in 1961?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Very nice little speakers, killer for a passive desktop setup with a Topping E50 + PA5 for example.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
The numbers of their series are historical dates from the area where these speakers originated.

1723 is when the town of Arendal was given a status of being a market town (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_town)
1961 is when a nearby island (Tromøy) got a proper connetion (bridge) to the mainland. At the time it was one of the longest suspension bridges in existence (400 metres).
Some rockin' historical markers in that town.

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
Very nice little speakers, killer for a passive desktop setup with a Topping E50 + PA5 for example.
What’s the consensus on waveguides and near field listening?

Top Bottom