• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Carver Crimson 275 Review (Tube Amp)

Rate this amplifier

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 379 95.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 9 2.3%

• Total voters

L0rdGwyn

Forum Donor
I've just read a couple sources saying if you have an older house to replace the two prong outlets with GFCI outlets. That even without the safety ground the GFCI will interrupt and make it safer in the event of a failure.

This is what was done in my 1920s home. Hasn't killed me yet. There are a few properly earthed outlets mixed in to which my tube systems are connected.

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There is me thinking that review threads were held to a higher standard.. this thread has completely derailed more then once and the end is nowhere near in sight. :rolleyes:

Zackthedog

Here in the U.S. Earthing was not required, and in many places, may not be required still. Europe has very different requirements. We are 110/120v here in the US, and Europe/Britain are 220/240v... that is likely a big reason for the variance.
Here in Oregon, I believe only for kitchen, bathroom, basement, garage or outdoors. I dread the thought of updating the rest of the house. With all the remodeling and add-ons over the years, it's mess. There's no telling what breaker connects to what, and it's taken me years to figure out the basic scheme.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
There is me thinking that review threads were held to a higher standard.. this thread has completely derailed more then once and the end is nowhere near in sight. :rolleyes:
It's the internet, what else did you expect ?
I consider myself somewhat smarter than a chimp and can separate the wheat from the chaff if needed.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Hey, you got something against pinball machine type threads? o_O

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Personally I couldn't care less. :)
Just amuses me to read in the forum rules that review threads are supposed to be held to a higher standard... yet this thread thread went completely of the rails long time ago and apparently it's fine.

To add fuel to the fire..
I live in an house with only two rooms (kitchen and bathroom) wired including ground, rest of the rooms are just wired with neutral and life. It's completely fine and insurance will pay out in case something happens. New(er) houses build have mandatory ground wiring in all rooms though.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This is what was done in my 1920s home. Hasn't killed me yet. There are a few properly earthed outlets mixed in to which my tube systems are connected.
Well there could be equipment malfunctions that cause a fire inside some appliance without blowing breakers/fuses. The GFCI on two wire systems won't prevent that. It will however prevent a situation where a failure leaves the appliance with voltage on the exterior that could electrocute you. If you present a ground path for that to happen then the GFCI will pop saving you.

BTW, I've known some old electricians that don't trust breakers. Seen too many stick and not work. They rewire their own houses with fuse boxes.

L0rdGwyn

Forum Donor

Well, the subject of proper grounding of electrical equipment / outlets was raised after a user suggested the safety ground pin in the Carver 275 did not need to be connected as his home only uses two prong outlets. Then other members clarified why that might not be such a good idea and how the issue can be rectified in an older home. As a safety issue stemming from the inadequacies of the reviewed product, seems relevant to me, but I'm no moderator :)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, the subject of proper grounding of electrical equipment / outlets was raised after a user suggested the safety ground pin in the Carver 275 did not need to be connected as his home only uses two prong outlets. Then other members clarified why that might not be such a good idea and how the issue can be rectified in an older home. As a safety issue stemming from the inadequacies of the reviewed product, seems relevant to me, but I'm no moderator :)
Yeah, so if you have a Carver 275 use it with a GFCI, so it won't likely electrocute you.

Last edited:

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Personally I couldn't care less. :)
Just amuses me to read in the forum rules that review threads are supposed to be held to a higher standard... yet this thread thread went completely of the rails long time ago and apparently it's fine.

To add fuel to the fire..
I live in an house with only two rooms (kitchen and bathroom) wired including ground, rest of the rooms are just wired with neutral and life. It's completely fine and insurance will pay out in case something happens. New(er) houses build have mandatory ground wiring in all rooms though.
I wouldn't mind if a separate link was provided at the end of the review where we could click to participate in the comments. but the original review remained unadulterated.

egellings

Major Contributor
Flower shop, as in Little House of Horrors? Burp! (Sound of pistol hitting the floor).

egellings

Major Contributor
My homebrew mono blocks weigh in at about 73 pounds, one for each ear. Big tubes are four KT120's and four smaller tubes per ear. I stacked & twisted up my own power and output transformers on them, so I was not stingy with the M6 and the M19 iron. In sunny CA, I place them on the floor so that they won't go far when an earthquake hits.

egellings

Major Contributor
Do those Carver 275's have bottom cover plates on the chasses? I would hope so. My home brews do.

egellings

Major Contributor
Two pair of 6BQ5 peanut pentode and those little OPTs could still make a nice sounding 15wpc amplifier, though. Just advertise as such. Oh, and you'd need to cut the B+ a good bit.

egellings

Major Contributor
600 or so volts on B+ for those little peanut pentodes? The poor little tubes would be shaking in their boots, er, sockets.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So jimclarkstereo now lists the Bob Carver Crimson 275 as "Out of Stock" but now shows a Bob Carver Raven 275 at the same price and with the exact same specifications and other verbiage. It also says the following:

"The Bob Carver Raven 275 has been making customers happy since its introduction. Jim Clark Stereo has sold these amplifiers all over the world and the feed back has been terrific."

This is the last person I would ever consider buying anything from.

The Model 275 has always had a red version called Crimson and a black version called Raven. It’s the same amp, just different colors.

Martin

Greg P

The Model 275 has always had a red version called Crimson and a black version called Raven. It’s the same amp, just different colors.

Martin
I didn't know that, i hadn't seen the black version before now. I did realize it was the same amp. I deleted my post.

Top Bottom