• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How is THIS for a baffle wall?!

nstzya

Meridian has been doing DSP active speakers for decades, and in recent years has turned their focus toward in-wall units and installations. I’ve been following this impressive project over on the Meridian Unplugged forum for a while now (thread called Slow Burn). This behind screen baffle wall is an impressive feat, but I am confused by the use of multiple trios. I know that Meridian advocates the use of pairs and trios as they have displayed them at shows like this. I assume it is done to increase total output when single isn’t enough. But wouldn’t these tend to cause interference/combing/lobing problems?

F6605D79-40FC-4198-BE2A-3477D7ECDB17.jpeg

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Someone is insecure of their manhood. I suspect this has more to do with advertising and big sales than sound.

I am not a big fan of horns for my living room, but I venture to say a pair of LaScallas would do just as well for everyone but the salesman's commission.

Dal1as

I'd like to know the story behind that. Show piece? Or some major DSP. Looks like 3 height speakers. Aura DSP setup?

2 tiny subs at the bottom.

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What's the seating distance from the screen (which would be in front of the array)?

This looks like a fairly standard movie theater layout.

Attachments

• X4vco9kl.jpg
    X4vco9kl.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 234
OP
N

nstzya

It’s a private installation in a residence in London. Whether there is some “arrangement“ I can’t say, but he has been a member of the forum for 2 decades. He states in the thread that the room is about 20x30x10. Those are DSP750’s which are 48 inches tall (those are 6.5 inch woofs) and capable of 120dB output alone. The “tiny” subs are 600 watt 10 inch long throws with back boxes, and I think he has 8 of them. I estimate the screen at 9 x 16. 9 FEET x 16 Feet!

Last edited:

raindance

Major Contributor
It will likely make a lot of noise but the comb filtering effects will be off the charts if you dare to move your head even slightly. Looks silly. I'd rather spend that amount of money on a fun sports car.

OP
N

nstzya

It will likely make a lot of noise but the comb filtering effects will be off the charts if you dare to move your head even slightly. Looks silly. I'd rather spend that amount of money on a fun sports car.

Given that each DSP750 lists for like $15k you easily could! But I imagine this lucky fellow already has a nice sports car. Probably two. Based upon the concrete ceiling shown in early construction, this might well be built below the garage that houses them!

But to the original question, would using a trio perhaps “smooth out” the interference pattern somewhat? Over simply a pair? Or is it just sheer output they are after?

Andysu

Major Contributor
Samuel Goldwyn Theater
200947826_10159232374955149_253097255717543374_n.jpg

Samuel Goldwyn Theater
Screenshot 2021-04-21 09.49.52.png

skywalker sound stag theatre
53365800_10156904494850149_2543085522197151744_n.jpg

Empire Leicester Square
308263.jpg

Samuel Goldwyn Theater
308262.jpg

The differences and advantages with a baffle wall
Baffle-Diagrams-1024x467.jpg

OP
N

nstzya

Very interesting, and I’m not debating the advantages of baffle wall construction per se. What I’d like to debate is the use of multiple speaker sets.
Although now that I see not LCR but 5 speakers across the commercial cinemas, I’m curious what the 4th and 5th array between LCR are assigned as? Wide centers? Or near L/R’s?

Andysu

Major Contributor
Very interesting, and I’m not debating the advantages of baffle wall construction per se. What I’d like to debate is the use of multiple speaker sets.
Although now that I see not LCR but 5 speakers across the commercial cinemas, I’m curious what the 4th and 5th array between LCR are assigned as? Wide centers? Or near L/R’s?
Todd-AO 70mm days used five wide and one mono surround. If you have any DVD such as The sound of music or Logan's Run and wanted to create a five screen wide that is way better than dolby front wide that is I believe only mixed/encoded for as and when on what atmos film? You can use the five wide anytime to experiment with

Originally one solo voice sound has spread over the five screen and sounds foggy sounding within few dB. You have to set one up, don't question it, set one up or don't. The five screen wide was abandoned partly in mixing during mid 1970's the last great one maybe Logan's Run that used Dolby A-type NR, where's before it used academy filters. (The Le Re Left centre Right centre) that you're curious about was later used in Star Wars for subwoofer channel tagged Baby Boom. It was not soon later then decided to use separate subs placed below the screen, rumor has it, Close Encounters, maybe for some cinemas that is? Now as we know the sub is separately placed behind the screen with single or arrays depending on auditorium size or requirements.

So for decades Lc Rc remained abandoned that was until Sony SDDS released their digital sound format for the digital sound format war. SDDS placed back the original Lc Rc, back then or today the sound mixing can be better done than what was previously done in the 60's 70's, discrete sound isolating placement and certain sound can be mixed into Lc Rc could be anything within DME dialog music or effects/fx.

If what a five screen wide in the home.
Need two matrix decoders for it to work I use two matching Dolby SDU4 and they are wired in a specific way and connected though my x2 Sony SDDS D3000 or can be connected though my Dolby Stereo CP200 in a certain way to mimic what most home theatre AVR's won't be able to do.
The decoder looks for a signal that has equal frequency phase such as centre phantom or any sound that commonly floating between, L and C or C and R and creates a New channel and places those phantom sounds in New speaker locations behind the screen.

You have to add on some extra decoders. Its only a matrix version but it sure sounds good.

I recommended for small home use JBL 4673A they are rare but some are about on ebay. They have good HF horn better than JBL 3678. The 4673 CD 2445 with 2380A be able get that tuned down to (with a few Behringer DCX2496) 300Hz and then you can tune the LF down to 300Hz or fraction lower for lower lows and higher highs with less distortion.

Last edited:
OP
N

nstzya

So, if I’m understanding you correctly, the 5 speaker array from the vintage cinemas shown were originally a 5 speaker mono center array? And this has been modified over the years, initially utilizing only 3 of them (LCR) and leaving the two intermediates dormant?

Andysu

Major Contributor
So, if I’m understanding you correctly, the 5 speaker array from the vintage cinemas shown were originally a 5 speaker mono center array? And this has been modified over the years, initially utilizing only 3 of them (LCR) and leaving the two intermediates dormant?
Stereo discrete only it was early days.
Set one up you will like it. I say again go on ebay and buy two Dolby SDU4 they often cheap and five JBL cinema PA speakers.

OP
N

nstzya

Stereo? With 5 speakers? So we’ve come full circle - let’s clarify what signal was fed to each of the 5 speakers - at the time of all these photos?

Andysu

Major Contributor
Stereo? With 5 speakers? So we’ve come full circle - let’s clarify what signal was fed to each of the 5 speakers - at the time of all these photos?
No, no. I still think you don't understand and I don't think it's really for you, as you don't understand the use of it or the principles behind it. It was made before I was born, yet I fully understand it. A five screen for you wouldn't be worthwhile as you'd never appreciate it.

Morgan Freeman as Lucius Fox. ... Oh you wouldn't be interested in that. ...

OP
N

nstzya

I don’t have an interest in recreating it, you are correct. Just trying to understand it. Forgive me, but your grammar (or editing) is a bit choppy. And I am having a little trouble following it. You keep referring to it as “5 screen”. Is this a generally accepted term for it?

Last edited:

Andysu

Major Contributor
I don’t have an interest in recreating it, you are correct. Just trying to understand it. Forgive me, but your grammar (or editing) is a bit choppy. And I am having a little trouble following it. You keep referring to it as “5 screen”. Is this a generally accepted term for it?
It can be called a few things. 70mm Todd-AO, SDDS 8ch. Or matrix five/5 screen. Too bad it won't be for you. Star Wars, Star Trek originals. Sounds great when used with Star Trek VI.

Andysu

Major Contributor
I realize I am taking my own thread OT, but I found this for anyone interested:

I read that site many times before it has good info. There you go, maybe you might be intrested in baffle wall with a five screen channels.

Honken

I am going to need a banana for scale here. How big is this?!

Personally, I am wondering how to install more than two subs into my living room without spawning the cableageddon.

I sure am envious of all these enormous spaces, I bet it sounds fantastic!

DanielT

Major Contributor
I guess, if, says IF, you for Home Hifi can fix speakers mounted in the wall (or line speakers floor to ceiling) then it can probably be really good.

Line speakers floor to ceiling, then EQ is needed for the higher frequencies, but it can be solved.:p

Top Bottom