• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sound, HiFi related products from Ikea

DanielT

Major Contributor
There are a few miscellaneous from Ikea. Seems interesting. Anyone have/ tested Sound, HiFi related products from Ikea? Experiences?:)

Example:

Okay Cable trunking is available on other major nick nack chains as well, but still.:)

This tested:

Disassembly:

Last edited:

iMickey503

Forum Donor
I just Picked up this speaker.
(Stock Photo Stolen)

I have not done anything with it. But it looks Cool. It was Clarence Isle with the bracket. It was a good deal at $79 bucks I think. So I bought it.

I went in today to buy another one since I heard that you can use them in stereo. But I was told that they are getting rid of this model and a new one is coming out to replace this that has better Audio due to a new port design. (from what he said) The new model will have over a 10 year lifespan.
symfonisk-wifi-bookshelf-speaker-black__0712741_pe728986_s5.jpg

This model it seems is going to be conditioned for replacement soon. They are already low in stock in stores. So as soon as they come out with the New model, I just have to wait around long enough to get the other one that is on display.
symfonisk-wifi-bookshelf-speaker-black__0714503_pe730109_s5.jpg

I thought it would be cool to try them out. But really? I call these Doctor Office Speakers. Sure they do sound good. But really, so does a $80* pair of Sony Speakers. But these look nice. Feel Nice. Well Built. And have a VERY high WAF /GAF/ Factor.

Easy to use as well with the SONOS App. However, Android versions feel Clunky from the few that I have tried. Its either flexibility, or just point click and don't work at all until new software. Those are your choices on the App markets out there. However, Sonos does work much better on the Apple platform in not only my experience but the experience of other Apple users that dual drive both Android and Apple devices.
sonos-s2-app-screenshots-scaled.jpg

There is a windows "App" but its not from Sonos and is NOT official for Windows 10 or 11.
I want to be clear on that. So if you want to try it out?
Do not put it on a ADMIN account in WINDOWS.
There is an App for Windows 7, but runs as a WIN32 App. under 10/11.
The Developer might be a Fine gentleman, but that's not how Ransom/Malware attacks spread.
PLEASE... Be careful.
apps.46405.13510798887382908.c23eb6c5-bc32-49bf-a1f3-693fa2a38774.1bddb7a9-6948-40bc-9804-a2104ae67da0

As far as Range? Going 100 feet is no problem. Some user report that these work fine at 200 feet. Typical range is about 50 feet before the signal starts to get weak. It really does depend on your home, and router placement. For some the 5GHz Band works best even though walls as there is less interference in that spectrum in a home.
Standing up the unit as seem here does help as reported by other owners.
symfonisk-wifi-bookshelf-speaker-black__0758100_pe749520_s5.jpg

Where the real deal comes in here is that getting a WiFi receiver on the main market alone costs as much as this one speaker. Good deal if you ask me if they were $99. But these are now $119 a of today. Not a Bad deal with something that all you have to do is Plug in.

Most people have Outlets everywhere in their homes. So this really does save you on buying speaker cable.
The Fact that there is no Trip hazard really makes this a great speaker for Kids Pets & dogs.
1642055469046.png

If anyone asks? No. These do not have Battery power. So setting them outside with a Good wireless access point will only work if you have power. Unless you have one of those Portable power banks, then you will need to use a good old extension cord.
71z6d03iT8S._AC_SX425_.jpg

There getting pretty popular, but you can make your own for around $35 bucks. Kind of nice not to have to worry about replacing a battery. And their is no Built in failure mode from a Battery pack that is not end user reparable as other speakers on the market.

Where this Items really shines is in the Kitchen if you ask me. One wire hook up and it can be kept out of the way. Since it has no Microphones? No problem with the darn thing Beeping, Booping, or Alexa or Google being activated by mistake.
It Controls are right there on the front, so it works out pretty well.
Since the Cord is removable, you can even do a Flush mount with a custom made to length cord if you want for a clean installation.
symfonisk-wifi-bookshelf-speaker-black__0722663_pe741648_s5.jpg

It also works great with some automation applications. Some have used these for a Announcing system as well. Nice touch in a kitchen environment. And they seem to be made well enough to be used in a Humid place. They are ported. But I don't see that as being a problem long term. Just don't Bask them in water & wash them down and you should be fine.

They DO work as Mini shelving with the mount. Really, this is its KEY strength. Its a bit small for the task. But with more people living in small quarters? IKEA really knew their market and where these would end up. The Mounting Brackets are indeed well built. But not rated for much more then a few small items. However...
PH164257-crop001.jpg

IKEA offically says this will hold 6.5 Pounds.
1642056656227.png
Depending on WALL anchor. Remember that.

THIS is NOT a Flimsy steel mount. Its DAMN solid. I know this to be true as I have had the pleasure of dropping it on my foot.
As far as mounting? As long as your Wall can take it? It can. Make sure to use the right hardware for the surface you are working with and you should not have a problem. Also, the accessories are at a very good price in my opinion in factored Stellar compared to some other mounting options available on the market.
1642056796607.png
1642056994724.png

1642057120046.png
1642057202807.png

One of the Best Videos I have seen on this is by The Technology Man
The MAN goes through EVERYTHING you would EVER want to know how to get up and running.
I recommend this video over others as It goes through it all. From Apps to how to get it to work with your router. Even IKEA's OWN accessories.

1642057391107.png

What does the drivers look like? O.P's above link went over them really well with the tear down. Mac Observer has a nice photo of the drivers.

Along with that, Franks World , Did not compute did a Good job tearing the unit down
https://www.franksworld.com/2020/01/04/ikeas-sonos-speaker-has-a-secret/
. 1642058031218.png

Also, a BIG thanks to Ben Bobby for doing the Initial tear down and Mod/Hack at MAKE Magazine.
1642058151812.png
Check it out. O.P. Put a link to it. And has some REALLY good photos!

Attachments

• 1642054423880.png
    1642054423880.png
    80.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 1642057155500.png
    1642057155500.png
    37.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 1642057081803.png
    1642057081803.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 1642056769013.png
    1642056769013.png
    29 KB · Views: 53

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It has been mentioned before but the IKEA Eneby 30 is their best regarding SQ, IMO. It delivers.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
I just Picked up this speaker.
(Stock Photo Stolen)

I have not done anything with it. But it looks Cool. It was Clarence Isle with the bracket. It was a good deal at $79 bucks I think. So I bought it.

I went in today to buy another one since I heard that you can use them in stereo. But I was told that they are getting rid of this model and a new one is coming out to replace this that has better Audio due to a new port design. (from what he said) The new model will have over a 10 year lifespan.
symfonisk-wifi-bookshelf-speaker-black__0712741_pe728986_s5.jpg

This model it seems is going to be conditioned for replacement soon. They are already low in stock in stores. So as soon as they come out with the New model, I just have to wait around long enough to get the other one that is on display.
symfonisk-wifi-bookshelf-speaker-black__0714503_pe730109_s5.jpg

I thought it would be cool to try them out. But really? I call these Doctor Office Speakers. Sure they do sound good. But really, so does a $80* pair of Sony Speakers. But these look nice. Feel Nice. Well Built. And have a VERY high WAF /GAF/ Factor.

Easy to use as well with the SONOS App. However, Android versions feel Clunky from the few that I have tried. Its either flexibility, or just point click and don't work at all until new software. Those are your choices on the App markets out there. However, Sonos does work much better on the Apple platform in not only my experience but the experience of other Apple users that dual drive both Android and Apple devices.
sonos-s2-app-screenshots-scaled.jpg

There is a windows "App" but its not from Sonos and is NOT official for Windows 10 or 11.
I want to be clear on that. So if you want to try it out?
Do not put it on a ADMIN account in WINDOWS.
There is an App for Windows 7, but runs as a WIN32 App. under 10/11.
The Developer might be a Fine gentleman, but that's not how Ransom/Malware attacks spread.
PLEASE... Be careful.
apps.46405.13510798887382908.c23eb6c5-bc32-49bf-a1f3-693fa2a38774.1bddb7a9-6948-40bc-9804-a2104ae67da0

As far as Range? Going 100 feet is no problem. Some user report that these work fine at 200 feet. Typical range is about 50 feet before the signal starts to get weak. It really does depend on your home, and router placement. For some the 5GHz Band works best even though walls as there is less interference in that spectrum in a home.
Standing up the unit as seem here does help as reported by other owners.
symfonisk-wifi-bookshelf-speaker-black__0758100_pe749520_s5.jpg

Where the real deal comes in here is that getting a WiFi receiver on the main market alone costs as much as this one speaker. Good deal if you ask me if they were $99. But these are now $119 a of today. Not a Bad deal with something that all you have to do is Plug in.

Most people have Outlets everywhere in their homes. So this really does save you on buying speaker cable.
The Fact that there is no Trip hazard really makes this a great speaker for Kids Pets & dogs.
View attachment 178696

If anyone asks? No. These do not have Battery power. So setting them outside with a Good wireless access point will only work if you have power. Unless you have one of those Portable power banks, then you will need to use a good old extension cord.
71z6d03iT8S._AC_SX425_.jpg

There getting pretty popular, but you can make your own for around $35 bucks. Kind of nice not to have to worry about replacing a battery. And their is no Built in failure mode from a Battery pack that is not end user reparable as other speakers on the market.

Where this Items really shines is in the Kitchen if you ask me. One wire hook up and it can be kept out of the way. Since it has no Microphones? No problem with the darn thing Beeping, Booping, or Alexa or Google being activated by mistake.
It Controls are right there on the front, so it works out pretty well.
Since the Cord is removable, you can even do a Flush mount with a custom made to length cord if you want for a clean installation.
symfonisk-wifi-bookshelf-speaker-black__0722663_pe741648_s5.jpg

It also works great with some automation applications. Some have used these for a Announcing system as well. Nice touch in a kitchen environment. And they seem to be made well enough to be used in a Humid place. They are ported. But I don't see that as being a problem long term. Just don't Bask them in water & wash them down and you should be fine.

They DO work as Mini shelving with the mount. Really, this is its KEY strength. Its a bit small for the task. But with more people living in small quarters? IKEA really knew their market and where these would end up. The Mounting Brackets are indeed well built. But not rated for much more then a few small items. However...
PH164257-crop001.jpg

IKEA offically says this will hold 6.5 Pounds.
View attachment 178697Depending on WALL anchor. Remember that.

THIS is NOT a Flimsy steel mount. Its DAMN solid. I know this to be true as I have had the pleasure of dropping it on my foot.
As far as mounting? As long as your Wall can take it? It can. Make sure to use the right hardware for the surface you are working with and you should not have a problem. Also, the accessories are at a very good price in my opinion in factored Stellar compared to some other mounting options available on the market.
View attachment 178699 View attachment 178700

View attachment 178702View attachment 178704

One of the Best Videos I have seen on this is by The Technology Man
The MAN goes through EVERYTHING you would EVER want to know how to get up and running.
I recommend this video over others as It goes through it all. From Apps to how to get it to work with your router. Even IKEA's OWN accessories.

View attachment 178705

What does the drivers look like? O.P's above link went over them really well with the tear down. Mac Observer has a nice photo of the drivers.

Along with that, Franks World , Did not compute did a Good job tearing the unit down
https://www.franksworld.com/2020/01/04/ikeas-sonos-speaker-has-a-secret/
. View attachment 178713

Also, a BIG thanks to Ben Bobby for doing the Initial tear down and Mod/Hack at MAKE Magazine.
View attachment 178714
Check it out. O.P. Put a link to it. And has some REALLY good photos!
Wow, that was a review that was comprehensive and very interesting! Thank you for sharing your experiences.:)

iMickey503

Forum Donor
It has been mentioned before but the IKEA Eneby 30 is their best regarding SQ, IMO. It delivers.
I am going to need something for the Bathroom. This seems like it fits the Bill. As much as I can just build or throw something together? Sue me.. I Like how IKEA does their ergonomics and design. Its not really groundbreaking till you have to use it everyday. And it just works.

Thanks for the tip on this Bluetooth speaker. Its kind of nice to catch up on Drivel and news while in the bathroom or a shower.

iMickey503

Forum Donor
I was considering this as a cheap ceiling sound absorber/diffuser. Just nail it in the corners and let it hang a few inches, about 10 cm in the center.
As connoisseur of drywall... What do you guys like best for mounting things like Rugs on the wall?
I have just used these in the past.
1642062973752.png

Nails never really worked well for me. Often you have to take the rugs down and clean them. So I used this method in the past.
I have also used them for floor mats that I don't want moving. Easy to take up and wash or send to the cleaners. The Plastic actually works really well in that Chipboard they use for flooring and walls these days, as the screws can be removed over and over again without issue.

Never had good luck with the Self Driving style.
45GE81_AS01

They tear up the drywall, and don't seem to work any better then the cheap Plastic inserts where all I need is a screwdriver, to install them. Just blip the hole, install the plastic insert, and mount the bracket or part to the wall. They work OK in drywall where there is a high amount of Moisture however.

I did run cable at a studio once, and they did just use some nice looking rugs on the wall. But the only way to "clean" them as they were mounted permanently was with a Electric leaf blower. Its not really easy to get your wand up the wall and most janitorial services won't bother doing it.

I did try these magnetic drywall anchors but the price was just stupid at the time. Now? I use these for a stealth install.
1642064550254.png

Great for things that you have to take down often.

One day? I got to get this tool!
The one I used, you had to be a artist to get the depth right, and you have to use the hand tool, so LOTS of labor and time to get the magnetic mounts flush in wood. Drywall? That was tricky. I got it to work but its a pain in the @#!#$

I use to just use Tacks... But after having to fix the vacuum and buy parts for it? Let alone doing the Hose fandango? You get my point.

Did this once in San Jose (Similar with rod)
tapestry%2B3.jpg

But most of my carpet/ Rug installs have been with just using Glue and framing the sides with 90's with vinyl or wood Edge trim has I didn't have to worry about metal shavings being vacuumed up or getting stuck in the carpet or surrounding furniture at offices. Only time I used nails. And I hate doing it. You got to get it RIGHT on the darn thing or you blemish the trim.

Whoops.. . I think I went to far on the question of rugs on the wall nails..
Sorry. Compressing thread.

Haakon

I am looking into putting together a small office system of two symfonisk bookshelfs and some generic sub in the 100$ range. Found this
and it looks promising.

Might be a bit more of a hassle if I where to go with the picture frame speakers, not sure how easy it is to get to the electronics. Anyone seen a teardown of these?

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am looking into putting together a small office system of two symfonisk bookshelfs and some generic sub in the 100$ range. Found this
and it looks promising.

Might be a bit more of a hassle if I where to go with the picture frame speakers, not sure how easy it is to get to the electronics. Anyone seen a teardown of these?

Perhaps not s valid option but two Eneby 30 with BT and I don’t think you need a small sub.

Haakon

Perhaps not s valid option but two Eneby 30 with BT and I don’t think you need a small sub.
Have some BT speakers at the moment, but I find that BT is annoying whenever theres a notification popping up. Spotify connect is my favorite solution as it can be controlled from multiple devices at the same time :)

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Every time I see that speaker, I always think of this

Pooping_Toothpaste_banner.jpg

MCH

Major Contributor
Hold on, so the symfonisk has a two channel amp and according to the hack link on post 1 it is possible to input any crossover one needs? Is this true?
I could not find it in ikea's website, how much power can the amp provide?
edit: 30w per channel and seems that its capability to do a proper crossover with drivers other than the original is not so evident/demonstrated... :-/

Last edited:

Haakon

Just got the Symfonisk Picture frame up in my kitchen to test if it's a viable option. Sound is good, not a lot of bass but what is there is nice. Compared to what I replaced an Onyx Studio 3 speaker the soundquality is up by a large factor, except for the bass that is.

Happy to be free from bluetooth but not really a viable option for my homeoffice due to not being full range. But for the kitchen it is perfect.

Have not done trueplay yet as I have to borrow my wifes phone to get it working....

Freeway

As connoisseur of drywall... What do you guys like best for mounting things like Rugs on the wall?
I have just used these in the past.
View attachment 178724
Nails never really worked well for me. Often you have to take the rugs down and clean them. So I used this method in the past.
I have also used them for floor mats that I don't want moving. Easy to take up and wash or send to the cleaners. The Plastic actually works really well in that Chipboard they use for flooring and walls these days, as the screws can be removed over and over again without issue.

Never had good luck with the Self Driving style.
45GE81_AS01

They tear up the drywall, and don't seem to work any better then the cheap Plastic inserts where all I need is a screwdriver, to install them. Just blip the hole, install the plastic insert, and mount the bracket or part to the wall. They work OK in drywall where there is a high amount of Moisture however.

I did run cable at a studio once, and they did just use some nice looking rugs on the wall. But the only way to "clean" them as they were mounted permanently was with a Electric leaf blower. Its not really easy to get your wand up the wall and most janitorial services won't bother doing it.

I did try these magnetic drywall anchors but the price was just stupid at the time. Now? I use these for a stealth install.
View attachment 178725
Great for things that you have to take down often.

One day? I got to get this tool!
The one I used, you had to be a artist to get the depth right, and you have to use the hand tool, so LOTS of labor and time to get the magnetic mounts flush in wood. Drywall? That was tricky. I got it to work but its a pain in the @#!#$

I use to just use Tacks... But after having to fix the vacuum and buy parts for it? Let alone doing the Hose fandango? You get my point.

Did this once in San Jose (Similar with rod)
tapestry%2B3.jpg

But most of my carpet/ Rug installs have been with just using Glue and framing the sides with 90's with vinyl or wood Edge trim has I didn't have to worry about metal shavings being vacuumed up or getting stuck in the carpet or surrounding furniture at offices. Only time I used nails. And I hate doing it. You got to get it RIGHT on the darn thing or you blemish the trim.

Whoops.. . I think I went to far on the question of rugs on the wall nails..
Sorry. Compressing thread.

00573459.jpg

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
and it looks promising.
I tuned out after 20 minutes. How long must an introduction last? What is the actual "hack"?

Top Bottom