• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dirac > Audyssey XT32 ... Sure, Always?

luft262

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
That just bogles my mind. They have all the automatic software in the world but they can't add a simple PEQ?
Adding a simple PEQ should be simple but I think it is a matter of how they see their product in the market.

Flak

Industry Insider
Bumping this thread because I'm started to think, after more readings, that Dirac tries to deal with phase issues related with each speaker independently.
Speakers are measured independently but then Dirac Live applies phase matching of speaker pairs

luft262

Adding a simple PEQ should be simple but I think it is a matter of how they see their product in the market.
They could eat up a lot of the minidsp market if they did. So just to clarify even with the new Audessey MultiEQ XT app and everything they didn't add any manual PEQ just more automatic stuff and additional features? I'm trying to decide if getting a Denon AVR would be with it to replace my Onkyo AVR from about 3 years ago.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Say Kal, I just read your review of the Topping Pre90 in this months Stereophile.
Does that mean you've given up on your Marantz AV8805?
Just curious

Beast76

Does Audessey MultiEQ XT offer manual PEQ settings? Is there any AVR system that allows you to manually go in and set PEQ levels where you want after taking REW measurements?
You can add PEQ to Dirac with the HTP-1.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
They could eat up a lot of the minidsp market if they did. So just to clarify even with the new Audessey MultiEQ XT app and everything they didn't add any manual PEQ just more automatic stuff and additional features?
At the moment. I think the most important thing about this release is moving the measurement/calculation engine out of the AVR/prepro and into the PC. This opens up opportunities to add/expand without the constraint of the meager computation capacity in the end-product.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Say Kal, I just read your review of the Topping Pre90 in this months Stereophile.
Does that mean you've given up on your Marantz AV8805?
Nope. Different systems in different homes.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Nope. Different systems in different homes.
Ok, thanks for the response.
I respect and appreciate the route your taking with the Pre90 but by the time I got thru the learning curves etc for
all the details of getting everything working with all the different codex, etc; I think my head would explode. LOL
Wish you all the luck and hope it pays off in the improved SQ performance your looking for when it's all wrapped up.
BTW, will you be roaming the halls at the Tampa audio show next month?
Hope to see you there.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Ok, thanks for the response.
I respect and appreciate the route your taking with the Pre90 but by the time I got thru the learning curves etc for
all the details of getting everything working with all the different codex, etc; I think my head would explode. LOL
Wish you all the luck and hope it pays off in the improved SQ performance your looking for when it's all wrapped up.
BTW, will you be roaming the halls at the Tampa audio show next month?
Hope to see you there.
I wish. Still cannot get myself to travel. Partly pandemic, mostly the fuss and uncertainty.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Are we sure that it wouldn't require
a major rewriting of their firmware? Is that how Audyssey currently works with the filters it applies? Via PEQ?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I wish. Still cannot get myself to travel. Partly pandemic, mostly the fuss and uncertainty.
Understood.
I've had all 3 jabs and will where a mask so I feel reasonably comfortable at this point.
Your choice.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Are we sure that it wouldn't require
a major rewriting of their firmware? Is that how Audyssey currently works with the filters it applies? Via PEQ?
I do not have answers but I believe that PEQs can be implemented, digitally, in other ways.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you use the MultEQ-X on PC you get PEQ with Audyssey. So obviously they can implement them and since there's now a $200 way to get them you can be sure they won't add them to the cheaper mobile app or the basic firmware lol.

apps.18475.14524960254668743.986941ef-434b-4ab5-b68a-fedf906c2ba8.bbb06a2a-2cd2-409f-a811-598d7a54ede1

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
If you use the MultEQ-X on PC you get PEQ with Audyssey. So obviously they can implement them and since there's now a $200 way to get them you can be sure they won't add them to the cheaper mobile app or the basic firmware lol.
Agreed but fully understandable
I still tip my hat to D-M / Audyssey for what they brought to customers for a mere $20. It started out as limited use software that was quite buggy but matured into a very nice little piece of DRC software, I'm quite happy with it's power and capabilities on my now quite aged Marantz AV7703

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does Audessey MultiEQ XT offer manual PEQ settings? Is there any AVR system that allows you to manually go in and set PEQ levels where you want after taking REW measurements?
Yes. MultEQ-X for PC lets you input PEQ filters. They are interpreted and converted into FIR filters by Audyssey. You don't need to use REW measurements to create them, and I'd advise against it, unless you can use the same exact measurements and apply the same exact averaging and can confirm your measurements match closely to what is displayed in MultEQ-X.

hemiutut

Yes. MultEQ-X for PC lets you input PEQ filters. They are interpreted and converted into FIR filters by Audyssey. You don't need to use REW measurements to create them, and I'd advise against it, unless you can use the same exact measurements and apply the same exact averaging and can confirm your measurements match closely to what is displayed in MultEQ-X.
How many PEQ filters can be set per channel?

I use Equalizer APO and I have plenty of power,I always end up adjusting the system with the the REW RTA.

Written with translator

Greetings

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How many PEQ filters can be set per channel?

I use Equalizer APO and I have plenty of power,I always end up adjusting the system with the the REW RTA.

Written with translator

Greetings

They don't specify a limit as such so you can input as many as you wish, ultimately you will be limited by the resolution and in that video they said Audyssey's done on a per note basis. If I remember right, one can think of about 1/10th octave at 40 Hz.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Yes. MultEQ-X for PC lets you input PEQ filters. They are interpreted and converted into FIR filters by Audyssey.
Looks as if MultEQ-X is developing into a serious tuners product, awesome!
Since my 7703 is getting long in the tooth I'm not tempted to spend the money now.
Maybe for my next AV, the Editor has currently done a great job for me.

Top Bottom