• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

1st REW Measurements for Camilla + Idiot = PLEASE HELP!! Obvs

• Thread starter Deleted member 23424
  • Start date
OP
D

Deleted member 23424

Guys, followed all the steps successfully (i reckon), thanks a lot for all this, if i knew it was so easy i wouldn't have had the umik collecting dust for two months...
I only have two questions abouts settings i am not sure about:
When in moode/camilla i upload the quick convolution filter that i got from rew (saved as .wav file) in "IR left" and "IR right", what should i choose in "IR type"? I have chosen "wave" because it seems the obvious choice but the fact is that i have no idea....
Sencond question: just below that there is "pipeline configuration" that as default is set to "conv_ae_oratory1990_hd800s". Do i need to change anything there? No need to say i don't have any hd800s and all this is for my room correction, not for any headphones so when i see this sitting there, i have the feeling something is wrong...
Thank you all for your help!
1. WAVE is correct
2. I use flat here. Though others may have more info to share re pipelines

Reactions: MCH
OP
D

Deleted member 23424

View attachment 178232
This is the contents of the Convolution File 'HELP'.

Which makes me wonder what the point of me using Camilla is? Couldn't I just add these values to the PEQ instead?
I have a further question re Camilla.

Given that I can enter the REW generated values into the PEQ..... is Camilla+WAV file doing anything that using PEQ isn't?

If not, is there a way to limit the above file to 12 values so that the content is 12 band PEQ friendly?

Last edited by a moderator:

bitlab

Guys, followed all the steps successfully (i reckon), thanks a lot for all this, if i knew it was so easy i wouldn't have had the umik collecting dust for two months...
I only have two questions abouts settings i am not sure about:
When in moode/camilla i upload the quick convolution filter that i got from rew (saved as .wav file) in "IR left" and "IR right", what should i choose in "IR type"? I have chosen "wave" because it seems the obvious choice but the fact is that i have no idea....
Sencond question: just below that there is "pipeline configuration" that as default is set to "conv_ae_oratory1990_hd800s". Do i need to change anything there? No need to say i don't have any hd800s and all this is for my room correction, not for any headphones so when i see this sitting there, i have the feeling something is wrong...
Thank you all for your help!

Image says more ;-) :
1642261541386.png

When you are back on the main screen, and you have an camilladsp config active you can switch camilladsp config with the small selector control:
1642261658849.png

bitlab

I have a further question re Camilla.

Given that I can enter the REW generated values into the PEQ..... is Camilla+WAV file doing anything that using PEQ isn't?

If not, is there a way to limit the above file to 12 values so that the content is 12 band PEQ friendly?

The PEQ independent of the used samplerate. Using the onboard PEQ of moOde (that isn't using camilladsp) has a fixed delay of 6 samples, better when a very small predictable delay is needed.

Also works on less powerfull Pi's.

With moOde you can't use the standalone PEQ and Camilladsp a the same time, but Camilladsp itself also provides PEQ filters.

nhs

I am playing around with REW and CamillaDSP, this thread comes right on cue, thank you.
It works as far as expected for PCM but DSD sound quality is terrible.
Does anyone know a way to bypass CamillaDSP for DSD?

marrahm

I believe I have followed everything in this thread and all seems to work, except I get an error in Moode - latest version - when i upload the filter IR wave file. file was generated in stereo with float 32. After upload, i select it for quick conv filter for both channels and wav for IR type.

response: Config not valid. Invalid Config File! filters: unknown variant'_IRFORMAT_ expected one of [all the options] at line 17 column 13"

any thoughts on what im doing incorrectly? I do have the invert filter response unchecked before export.

thanks,
mike

OP
D

Deleted member 23424

I believe I have followed everything in this thread and all seems to work, except I get an error in Moode - latest version - when i upload the filter IR wave file. file was generated in stereo with float 32. After upload, i select it for quick conv filter for both channels and wav for IR type.

response: Config not valid. Invalid Config File! filters: unknown variant'_IRFORMAT_ expected one of [all the options] at line 17 column 13"

any thoughts on what im doing incorrectly? I do have the invert filter response unchecked before export.

thanks,
mike
Hi Mike. I'm out at the moment, if someone cleverer than me (ie anyone on here) hasn't sorted this I'll have a proper look in the morning.

The below contains all the info I needed to get it up and running.
Just been notified that my Celef (ProAc's original name) Studio Professional speakers are being delivered today, along with a pair of Kef Calinda. So I'll be redoing the whole process over the next few days and will take screenshots etc for an Idiot's Guide.

But in all honesty, you don't need one.

1. REW. Follow the above video up until he saves the EQ, that'll take you all of 20 minutes.

Instead of saving the EQ go back to the main window> File> Export> Export filters impulse response.

That's REW done.

2. In Moode: M logo top right> Configure> Audio> Select Quick Convolution or whatever is called in Camilla drop down> Set/Save> Click EDIT> Upload the WAV file (there's only one field with upload option)> Select said WAV on both LEFTIR & RIGHTIR> Select WAVE on the drop-down below them> Save. Done

That'll take sub 10 minutes.

It's ridiculously easy to do. Both REW and Camilla are easy to operate in terms of what's required to apply DSP within Moode (though I'm sure there are many cans of worms to open if you want to get deeper involved)

My problem was the lack of information explaining how to let REW talk to Camilla. Once Mr @kaput explained that you need to Export rather than Save it was a doddle. See his posts above this one.

marrahm

Thanks. Yep, that’s exactly what I did. Never would have figured it out w/o that thread.

Interestingly, if i go into the pipeline editor at the bottom of that screen, I can see that Camilla labels the files as RAW and not wave and If i change each to wav, the error disappears. Save back to the DSP in teh pipeline and it will work for a bit. (At least it appears to be working, I cannot hear a difference with and w/o the filter and switching back and forth breaks it again). Camilla throws the same error on the config screen eventually and then locks up MPD.

OP
D

Deleted member 23424

Thanks. Yep, that’s exactly what I did. Never would have figured it out w/o that thread.

Interestingly, if i go into the pipeline editor at the bottom of that screen, I can see that Camilla labels the files as RAW and not wave and If i change each to wav, the error disappears. Save back to the DSP in teh pipeline and it will work for a bit. (At least it appears to be working, I cannot hear a difference with and w/o the filter and switching back and forth breaks it again). Camilla throws the same error on the config screen eventually and then locks up MPD.
I'm far too hungover for this...... my rig is off the road just now (DAC sold, awaiting miniDSP Flex arrival) so can't really play with it to compare

Anyway, don't go into the pipeline editor, that way madness lies.

These are the settings on mine
Screenshot_20220227-175803_Samsung Internet.jpg

If yours are the same then my guess would be an issue with the way you've exported the file from REW rather than something within Camilla.

Perhaps @kaput @bitlab or @mdsimon2 could help. As happy as I am to pass on my knowledge, my knowledge is the sum total of one basic installation. Might be time for the big guns.

FWIW here's my main pipeline page. I think I altered the chunksize but didn't touch anything else
Screenshot_20220227-175717_Samsung Internet.jpg

marrahm

yep, all same. Since it seemed like Camilla was acting strange no matter what i fed it, i reflashed Moode with latest iso and all is right using same filter files. Something must have corrupted on the many in place updates from prior install. Thanks for the help. Hope the hangover is tapering off.
Mike

OP
D

Deleted member 23424

yep, all same. Since it seemed like Camilla was acting strange no matter what i fed it, i reflashed Moode with latest iso and all is right using same filter files. Something must have corrupted on the many in place updates from prior install. Thanks for the help. Hope the hangover is tapering off.
Mike
Glad to hear I was no help whatsoever. That confirms what She Who Must Be Obeyed tells me. Enjoy.

bitlab

Mike
I regonize the error message about `filters: unknown variant'_IRFORMAT_ expected one of [all the options]`
You have come to the right conclusion; one of the inplace updates (don't rember the version anymore) forgot to update the camilladsp quick convolution template.

zhopudey

Hi, I've got a brand new umik-1 that I'm waiting to play with. After going through this thread I have a noob level doubt - where do I run rew? I have a rpi4 with an Allo Boss2 i2s dac.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, I've got a brand new umik-1 that I'm waiting to play with. After going through this thread I have a noob level doubt - where do I run rew? I have a rpi4 with an Allo Boss2 i2s dac.
REW runs on those systems... so generally on a PC/Laptop and MacBook etc. - not a PI (unless one knows, how to install the Linux on a Pi, if that is even possible).

1672655980104.png

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh. I thought the measurement should be on the same system. I'll read up about running rew on the pi.
No not at all. I did my measurements on PC in REW and transferred the resulting filters / correction to the PI running Moode/ Camilla. That is how a lot of people do it afik.

Reactions: MCH

zhopudey

No not at all. I did my measurements on PC in REW and transferred the resulting filters / correction to the PI running Moode/ Camilla. That is how a lot of people do it afik.
Ok, got it. My doubt is that I am using an i2s dac on the rpi, so would like to take measurement through that. This dac does not have any other inputs, so I cannot play laptop/PC audio though it. So running rew on my laptop would give me measurements of my speakers, but not of my dac. I don't know how much difference this will make.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So running rew on my laptop would give me measurements of my speakers, but not of my dac. I don't know how much difference this will make.
Almost none at all, the DAC, as all electronics like amps, can be considered as "transparent" for this purpose. The changes the room and speakers imprint are what matters.

Keep chipping away at the problem, you are almost there :)

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, got it. My doubt is that I am using an i2s dac on the rpi, so would like to take measurement through that. This dac does not have any other inputs, so I cannot play laptop/PC audio though it. So running rew on my laptop would give me measurements of my speakers, but not of my dac. I don't know how much difference this will make.
Yep. What Batsear said. Unless you are very good with computers and get Rew to install on your Pi in no time, this is the easiest and most practical way.

Top Bottom