• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

1st REW Measurements for Camilla + Idiot = PLEASE HELP!! Obvs

• Thread starter Deleted member 23424
  • Start date

kaput

Hi
you have 2 problems :
1 - in the filter EQ page, you must uncheck "invert filter response" => the filters will appear in the right direction
2 - camilla dsp need WAV files : when filters are OK, you have to select on the main page (not the EQ filters page) : files - export - export filters impulse responses as WAV
3 - upload the file in camilla DSP and select it in quick convolution filter
4 - select in camilla DSP IR Type : WAVE
5 - save the camilla DSP config

sorry for my bad english...

Last edited:
OP
D

Deleted member 23424

Hi
you have 2 problems :
1 - in the filter EQ page, you must uncheck "invert filter response" => the filters will appear in the right direction
2 - camilla dsp need WAV files : when filters are OK, you have to select on the main page (not the EQ filters page) : files - export - export filters impulse responses as WAV
3 - select in camilla DSP IR Type : WAVE

Aha! Thank you.

1. I can't see this checkbox anywhere. You mean in the EQ page of REW?

2. Got it. Do the 32bitfloat and Sample Rates fields need specific entries? Mono?
20220111_204932.jpg

OP
D

Deleted member 23424

You, sir, are a star.

I don't know what kaput means wherever you come from but it means completely fucked here in Scotland; broken, finished, 100% no more.... which is ironic given that you've completely unfucked my DSP.

I need to go back to REW and tinker the EQ again (spent a while poking at it this evening so probably not currently optimal) and republish the WAV files but I currently have lots of lovely noise coming from my speakers. Thanks again.

Out of interest, can selecting 786khz or other higher settings improve SQ in any way? Obviously it won't transform native 48khz but with Qobuz offering some material in 32bit 192khz isn't selecting 192khz upwards a requirement? Or am I barking up the wrong tree here?

kaput

Good news !!

I'm french...that's why my english is horrible...
I'm not an expert about sample rates, i listen spotify and i think that it is always in 44.1 (i'm not sure)

NB : in french , kaput also means destroy !!!

OP
D

Deleted member 23424

Good news !!

I'm french...that's why my english is horrible...
I'm not an expert about sample rates, i listen spotify and i think that it is always in 44.1 (i'm not sure)

NB : in french , kaput also means destroy !!!
Au contraire mon amie. Your English is far better than my French. I once walked into a supermarket in Bordeaux and told someone "I am a biscuit". Also, check what's above my computer. Original 1980s French cinema quad poster.
20220111_214306.jpg

The WAV info was precisely what I was missing, I'm now able to play around with REW to my heart's content. Merci

bitlab

Personally I think the Moode implementation of CamillaDSP is unfortunate, it tries to automate too much and hide setup from the user which makes it more difficult to troubleshoot. It almost needs more of a setup questionnaire so you know exactly what it is doing.

CamillaDSP is exceptionally well documented and using the stock GUI is just as easy as using a miniDSP. Those of us with a smidge of technical ability will gladly use it over more expensive less powerful solutions, YMMV.

Michael

What do you mean with that moode hide the setup?
moOde makes it easy to activate an IR file without in depth camilladsp knowledge and at the same time provides the standard stock GUI of Camilladsp for the one who wants to edit/create there own configurations or just take a look on the selected (quick convolution) configuration.
The only thing that is fixed, is that it uses the alsa_cdsp module to handle different sample rates with Camilladsp.

You can find a bit of documentation how to use with Camilladsp at Camilladsp with moOde 7 – Part 2

And of course it doesn't simplify creating the convolution IRs itself, that is still up to you ;-)

OP
D

Deleted member 23424

moOde makes it easy to activate an IR file without in depth camilladsp knowledge and at the same time provides the standard stock GUI of Camilladsp for the one who wants to edit/create there own configurations or just take a look on the selected (quick convolution) configuration.
The only thing that is fixed, is that it uses the alsa_cdsp module to handle different sample rates with Camilladsp.

You can find a bit of documentation how to use with Camilladsp at Camilladsp with moOde 7 – Part 2

And of course it doesn't simplify creating the convolution IRs itself, that is still up to you ;-)
I have to admit, once Mr Kaput explained the need to export as WAV rather than save as... the whole thing was a doddle. I'd assumed REW would be the main source of measurements for Camilla and therefore info like the above would be easy to come by, alas not.

But to be clear, it was the lack of usage info that was my undoing rather than the software itself. I knew where it was going wrong (convolution creation) but just couldn't dig up any info on how to proceed.

Now I know how to make A talk to B I'm quite happily tinkering about with it all. It's an impressively powerful tool with already excellent results.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I've been using CamillaDSP without Moode for the last few months and I found that all of the necessary documentation was there and because I built my setup from the ground up I understand how it works.

I tried Moode today and here is what I experienced. I was able to get normal files to play to my DAC without CamillaDSP. I enabled CamillaDSP and tried to play some test tones, from the GUI I could see that I was getting and input and output signal in CamillaDSP but nothing was coming out of my DAC. I looked at the playback device and it was NOT set to my DAC even though in the CamillaDSP settings I had selected it to use my default Moode audio device. Because I know CamillaDSP I manually changed the playback device and now got output. I then switched to a different sample rate file and was no longer getting sound. This is when I realized that CamillaDSP was switching sample rates with source files and when it modified the configuration file to do so it went back to the "default audio device". So I had to uncheck the "default device" and then modify my CamillaDSP configuration and save that and then it worked.

For me all of this was not too bad and it is somewhat explained in the Moode documentation with statements like:
  • Uses the alsa_cdsp module in config_cdsp mode, which passes the samplerate and capture format to camilladsp.
  • Automatic patching of the configuration files with the correct output device, capture device and sample format. Of course it can also be disabled.
However this statement was not true for me at all:
  • When the Default Device option is active, from the active CamillaDSP configuration the used capture and playback device are patched to use the active device configured in moOde.
If you are a new CamillaDSP user and have no idea what is going on underneath hood this stuff would be near impossible to troubleshoot by yourself. Let alone understanding the implications of using rate switching and how that affects biquads and convolution, you can argue that you should understand these things before jumping but I think it is more likely that people will try, fail and get frustrated.

YMMV but to me CamillaDSP through Moode presents itself as being more user friendly but when things go wrong and in my experience they will it is more difficult to troubleshoot because you do not understand what is occurring under the hood.

Not to mention that because of the outdated kernel Moode will not work properly with at least two of my multichannel DACs which is the whole reason for using CamillaDSP in the first place.

Michael

Last edited:

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And I should say I am probably being way too harsh on Moode / CamillaDSP. Even with miniDSP which is arguably easier to use if you look at the questions that folks ask on their forum it is clear that a lot of people get in to DSP without having any idea how it works or what to do with it so there is always going to be some amount of user growing pains regardless of platform.

Michael

MCH

Major Contributor
@dOSs know it is a bit too much work but... could you post some sort of step by step newbie to newbie of what you did with rew/camilla/moode?
I know an idiot that is about to do something similar and the poor guy has little chances of success as of today...

vco1

(...) it is clear that a lot of people get in to DSP without having any idea how it works (...)
My honest question is if that really should be necessary. What about DSP for the masses?

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You, sir, are a star.

I don't know what kaput means wherever you come from but it means completely fucked here in Scotland; broken, finished, 100% no more.... which is ironic given that you've completely unfucked my DSP.

Kaput is German for broken or destroyed.

I was at college years ago with an Iranian. I broke my pencil and said 'oh look, my pencil is kaput'. He said in shock 'what did you say?'. I repeated 'my pencil is kaput/broken'. It turns out kaput in Persian means condom!

OP
D

Deleted member 23424

@dOSs know it is a bit too much work but... could you post some sort of step by step newbie to newbie of what you did with rew/camilla/moode?
I know an idiot that is about to do something similar and the poor guy has little chances of success as of today...
Just been notified that my Celef (ProAc's original name) Studio Professional speakers are being delivered today, along with a pair of Kef Calinda. So I'll be redoing the whole process over the next few days and will take screenshots etc for an Idiot's Guide.

But in all honesty, you don't need one.

1. REW. Follow the above video up until he saves the EQ, that'll take you all of 20 minutes.

Instead of saving the EQ go back to the main window> File> Export> Export filters impulse response.

That's REW done.

2. In Moode: M logo top right> Configure> Audio> Select Quick Convolution or whatever is called in Camilla drop down> Set/Save> Click EDIT> Upload the WAV file (there's only one field with upload option)> Select said WAV on both LEFTIR & RIGHTIR> Select WAVE on the drop-down below them> Save. Done

That'll take sub 10 minutes.

It's ridiculously easy to do. Both REW and Camilla are easy to operate in terms of what's required to apply DSP within Moode (though I'm sure there are many cans of worms to open if you want to get deeper involved)

My problem was the lack of information explaining how to let REW talk to Camilla. Once Mr @kaput explained that you need to Export rather than Save it was a doddle. See his posts above this one.

MCH

Major Contributor
That's awesome, and probably sufficient, and yes, looks too easy even for me that idiot :D Lets see how it goes!

OP
D

Deleted member 23424

That's awesome, and probably sufficient, and yes, looks too easy even for me that idiot :D Lets see how it goes!
Only an idiot could mess it u..... Nothing. I didn't say a word.

OP
D

Deleted member 23424

Hi
you have 2 problems :
4 - select in camilla DSP IR Type : WAVE
5 - save the camilla DSP config

In a nutshell:

1. Do what the video man says
2. Do what Kaput says

MCH

Major Contributor
Guys, followed all the steps successfully (i reckon), thanks a lot for all this, if i knew it was so easy i wouldn't have had the umik collecting dust for two months...
I only have two questions abouts settings i am not sure about:
When in moode/camilla i upload the quick convolution filter that i got from rew (saved as .wav file) in "IR left" and "IR right", what should i choose in "IR type"? I have chosen "wave" because it seems the obvious choice but the fact is that i have no idea....
Sencond question: just below that there is "pipeline configuration" that as default is set to "conv_ae_oratory1990_hd800s". Do i need to change anything there? No need to say i don't have any hd800s and all this is for my room correction, not for any headphones so when i see this sitting there, i have the feeling something is wrong...
Thank you all for your help!

Top Bottom