• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Definitive Technology iw sub reference x2 amplifier question

twokdesigns

I currently am running 2 iw sub reference subs using cx-5200 subwoofer outs and a peachtree 220 amplifier. My question is if I use 2 of the definitive technology subamp 600's with lfe so that the crossover is through the av instead of the peachtree since I am aware the peachtree isnt a subwoofer amplifier will I get any better performance? The peachtree does a decent job but I am aware it wasnt designed for this purpose so am wondering what I will be gaining running the amp designed for these subs if any? The peachtree is higher watt rating running the 4ohm iw's at 400 per sub. The subamp600 would run 275 watts as long as I use 2 of them. Advice?

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Subwoofers don't need a "special" amplifier.

"Plate amplifiers" built-into powered subwoofers usually have a low-pass filter (and sometimes "passthrough" with a high-pass for your main amp/speakers) or other built-in features but otherwise they are just amplifiers. With the AV's crossover you don't need the low-pass filter.

OP
T

twokdesigns

That was my thought and have been using the peachtree that sounds good but just wasnt sure if there were any differences in the subamp. Sounds like im good with the current setup and appreciate your help

nick-v

I currently am running 2 iw sub reference subs using cx-5200 subwoofer outs and a peachtree 220 amplifier. My question is if I use 2 of the definitive technology subamp 600's with lfe so that the crossover is through the av instead of the peachtree since I am aware the peachtree isnt a subwoofer amplifier will I get any better performance? The peachtree does a decent job but I am aware it wasnt designed for this purpose so am wondering what I will be gaining running the amp designed for these subs if any? The peachtree is higher watt rating running the 4ohm iw's at 400 per sub. The subamp600 would run 275 watts as long as I use 2 of them. Advice?
I'm curious how you like the IW Sub Reference subwoofers. How large is the room you're using them in?

You wouldn't happen to have and use REW?

Top Bottom