• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

BOXEM Audio | Arthur 4215/E2 Purifi Amplifier | Owners' Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 23424
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 23424

Firstly, I definitely didn't spend hours last night troubleshooting with Boxem as to why my amp was badly distorting only to discover that my idiot mate had been playing with the PEQ in my streamer and that the amp was absolutely faultless. That 100% didn't happen and I will deny it if anyone suggests otherwise.

Now then, down to business.

BOXEM Audio Arthur 4215/E2
Purifi 1et400A Stereo Power Amp

20220104_052728-01.jpeg

Build quality is very, very nice. There are loads of colour options available, I plumped for the Boba Fett case and Vader face plate. The amp feels solid and the photos don't do the paint finish on the case justice.

The amp arrived 13 days ago so if you believe in burn in then it's burned in, also, would you like to buy some Super-T 3000 Audiofeet?

20220104_052819-01.jpeg

Measurements: I'll let Amir take care of the basic measurements at a later date, meanwhile here are the very complicated measurements that he always forgets to do with his fancy measuring thingy.

20220104_080815.jpg

20220104_080833.jpg

It's small.

Here's a shit video I made of the amp

What with the small form factor and the Auto On/Off function (works like a charm) I'm able to put this in the sideboard out of sight and forget about it. On the one hand it's a shame to hide the handsome bastard, but on the other.... just sold my Hifi Rack and now have enough brownie points for a few trips to the pub.

There is a small switch on the rear with 3 gain settings to allow you to best match your source/pre to the amp.

I'm using the middle setting between a Topping D90 and Revel M16. Can safely turn the volume up to max without so much as a hint of distortion. Must admit I haven't tried the higher setting yet.

Speaker binding posts are rock solid and excellent quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
D

Deleted member 23424

Listening Impressions

I only have two measuring devices: a ruler (see above) and ears. So please excuse the flouncy subjective nature of the following.

I don't know if it will tell you anything other than how shit my room is but I have a Umik-1 mic arriving this week, if anyone wants me to measure anything else just ask.

Anyway: sounds great.

You can read various reviews of the Purifi 1et400a's performance online, this unit lives up to all that hype and some. Oodles of details present but never sounds overly analytical or fatiguing. I don't know who actually nailed it, Bruno P or Boxem, but somebody definitely nailed it.

I've had to put some blu-tac under a glass shelf in the kitchen as the improved bass performance (replacing a Musical Fidelity A3cr) has found things to rattle in my house that never rattled before.

Bass digs deep without being remotely elevated, it's the lack of distortion and the subsequent ability to play ever louder that's the issue. Normally my music would sound distorted and unlistenable long before the point that household objects start to move. All those extra watts were appealing for headroom reasons, but in practise, when married with nonexistent distortion, the clean high volume is addictive.

Conclusions:
20220104_053139-01.jpeg

It's a cracker. Very happy with this purchase. I've got more power than I'll ever need, a gain switch to tame it (if needed), it runs very cool and has Auto On/Off so can live in a cupboard and the sound quality is every bit as impeccable as the hype surrounding the Purifi boards suggests.

Very highly recommended.

With the clarity of the D90 being simply amplified without colouration by the 4215/E2 I don't envisage me ever needing to buy another piece of Hifi now (upgraditis aside). This is end-game level equipment, for me anyway. Chasing improvements on this means going WAY too far into the realms of diminishing returns. It's weird thinking that [insert price here, can't remember + currency exchange rates] is good value but here I am, best hifi purchase I've made in 25+ years of chasing the good shit.

I'm now free to tinker with speakers to add any colour etc that I might like. Curious to try this with some old classics like Kef 104AB or Celestion 66.

20220104_052834-01.jpeg

20220104_081855.jpg

20220104_081822.jpg

20220104_081717.jpg

20220104_081911.jpg

storing

Forum Donor
Here's a direct link for those interested: https://boxem-audio.eu/en/stereo-amplifiers/10-45-arthur-4215e2.html

I have to admit I've been looking at this for a while already, and while I'd happily pay for what looks like a proper implementation which gets all details right and probably sounds and measures extremely good, I just cannot get rid of the voice whispering: what on earth are you ever going to do with that much power? 227W into 8ohms is a lot, even for lower sensitivity speakers. (And the Hypex-based Arthur is about half the price for half the watts)

OP
D

Deleted member 23424

Here's a direct link for those interested: https://boxem-audio.eu/en/stereo-amplifiers/10-45-arthur-4215e2.html

I have to admit I've been looking at this for a while already, and while I'd happily pay for what looks like a proper implementation which gets all details right and probably sounds and measures extremely good, I just cannot get rid of the voice whispering: what on earth are you ever going to do with that much power? 227W into 8ohms is a lot, even for lower sensitivity speakers. (And the Hypex-based Arthur is about half the price for half the watts)
The gain switch on the rear helps put my mind at ease with regard my better half blowing any speakers up. My Revel M16 can handle full power from the amp on the medium gain setting without issue.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company

Putting aside the budget (I know...) the choice of a power amp depends from your room, your speakers, how compressed is the music you listen, how loud you listen, ... I know a guy who gets a 3409/N2 clipping very easily while listening classic rock from the 70's in a correctly dampened room. He never experienced this with the 4215/E2. Personally, with my more recent music tastes and my room full of huge windows, bringing a 3409/N2 to clipping requires a lot of personal implication. But I use a 4215/E2, because I can :cool:.

storing

Forum Donor
the choice of a power amp depends from your room, your speakers, how compressed is the music you listen, how loud you listen

I'm well aware, but even when taking future setups into account with ample margin it's still a lot.

Then again I'm sort of practical/lazy in how I buy stuff and the next amp I buy should be the last one for many years to come, so then budget matters less and more margin is better at providing peace of mind, because yes we can :D

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
i once heard a saying that would roughly translate to "the blacksmith's mare is always barefoot" which sure seems to be untrue in your case :p
In french the saying is "the shoemaker is always barefoot". A 4215, yes, but the truth is that the case is completely trashed, 3 of the binding posts are ultra low cost ones from Alibaba, and other niceties like this :oops:.

Reactions: CMB

bbforce

So you do not care about air flow and thermal management??
Even after very loud hearing sessions the boxem- case is not "hot" - warm yes but not uncomfortable to touch. So i'm not that much concerned to be honest and there is also no need for a fan...

bbforce

Must admit, I'm leaning towards doing likewise. I've absolutely no complaints about the D90, but......... EQ!
Most valuable function of the RME is the fully adaptive loudness - I do correct my room- impacts with a MiniDSP SHD studio using Dirac - the result is perfect at normal / high listening volumes but sounds too thin at low volumes- this is why the loudness feature is a must at least for me...

OP
D

Deleted member 23424

Can confirm that mine lives in a cupboard and is barely above room temperature after pushing my speakers hard enough to move things on shelves in the adjoining room.

Do other purifi builds have a tendency to run warmer?
20220104_160729.jpg

Top Bottom