• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JDS Labs El Dac (sold)

Veri

Master Contributor
For sale this pretty DAC unit. https://www.jdslabs.com/products/174/el-dac/

Overall great DAC, the difference with the JDS OL Dac is better internals and higher max sample rate. USB capable up to 384kHz PCM. Chip = AK4490EQ

Measurements: http://blog.jdslabs.com/2018/03/el-dac-measurements-optical-vs-coaxial-vs-usb/

Price: 180 Euro shipped within EU. International possible, but at that point it might be cheaper to buy it from JDS US, methinks.

If it sells here on the forum I will donate 20 euro to ASR for his services :D otherwise I think I'll just sell if off on eBay.

Cheers. And P.S.: I could not differentiate between the El Dac and the Topping d50..

Last edited:
OP
Veri

Veri

Master Contributor
Still for sale :D price is negotiable of course. If no interest I will have to put up an eBay auction sometime soon ;)

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
OP
Veri

Veri

Master Contributor
This one is still for sale though. I get offers now and then but no one follows through :oops:

Artstar

My apologies for being an Australian and taking your advice about buying a little more locally. :)

However, I do have one question about this unit. I'm considering installing it as part of an in-car navigation and entertainment system that I'm designing to augment my vehicle's OEM system. I'd like it to be as hands-off as possible, which means that I'm wondering if upon the loss and restoration of external power, does the unit remember the last setting it was operating at and automatically power back on if it was never manually switched off?

Ideally, it would need to power up with USB input active every time the car starts. Otherwise, I'll probably have to produce a little electronic switch that will perform the task for me, since the unit will be hidden away within the dashboard.

Many thanks in advance!

OP
Veri

Veri

Master Contributor
My apologies for being an Australian and taking your advice about buying a little more locally. :)

However, I do have one question about this unit. I'm considering installing it as part of an in-car navigation and entertainment system that I'm designing to augment my vehicle's OEM system. I'd like it to be as hands-off as possible, which means that I'm wondering if upon the loss and restoration of external power, does the unit remember the last setting it was operating at and automatically power back on if it was never manually switched off?

Ideally, it would need to power up with USB input active every time the car starts. Otherwise, I'll probably have to produce a little electronic switch that will perform the task for me, since the unit will be hidden away within the dashboard.

Many thanks in advance!

I think it's best to send JDS an e-mail I'm sure they will provide the correct answer. If I recall correctly from memory the light ring / input selector has three inputs, and resets to input "1" and has no memory but I could be wrong..

Artstar

In case anyone else ever had the same question about this unit, they can actually set up the firmware at the time of purchase to do exactly what I need, provided it's mentioned in the special notes at the time of ordering.

Winner! Only thing is now, I've had to design my own dual-rail +/-15V DC supply for it because the reason for the external AC supply is that they do a proper dual-rail DC supply internally. So, I've found it easier to implement a dual-rail DC supply that will have to be inserted after the full-wave bridge rectifier accordingly. Can't wait to get this thing in!

OP
Veri

Veri

Master Contributor
Up for sale on Ebay. If you need a great performing DAC feel free to bid, I placed an international ebay auction starting at €100/$117. The unit was tested by me to work flawlessly/without faults.

EDIT: SOLD via r/avexchange/ apologies for those following the auction didn't seem to generate a lot of interest but received some messages upon closing it. Apologies.

Last edited:
Top Bottom