• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E50 Review (Balanced DAC)

Toku

Major Contributor
Nobody know what means "d-3" error ?
please tell me.
Does the error display appear in any input mode of the E50?
What are you using for the power supply? E50 has a strict check of the supply power supply voltage.

please tell me.
Does the error display appear in any input mode of the E50?
What are you using for the power supply? E50 has a strict check of the supply power supply voltage.
It appear after 1 or 2 seconds when connect the power supply. The power supply is at 5.1V and 1A from a laboratory linear power supply. Consumption is at aprox. 0.45A.

Filio45

E50 has a strict check of the supply power supply voltage.
and protects if wrong voltage applied? With 9V accidentally applied for two minutes, I got message ERR and 10H

Last edited:

Toku

Major Contributor
It appear after 1 or 2 seconds when connect the power supply. The power supply is at 5.1V and 1A from a laboratory linear power supply. Consumption is at aprox. 0.45A.
What happens once you try it with a standard mobile phone 5V charger?
I have heard reports of symptoms similar to yours. The cause was the power supply used.

goldistan

I ordered four Topping E50 for my 8 channels, can I power them with a multiport charger like this one? it's power only, no data.
Or is it better to buy 4 chargers and a 110V strip?

Attachments

• 61pysLhV8wL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    61pysLhV8wL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 98

What happens once you try it with a standard mobile phone 5V charger?
I have heard reports of symptoms similar to yours. The cause was the power supply used.
From the first day it has that linear laboratory power supply with aprox. 5.1v. I will open the DAC and I will try to measure the internal voltages.

bogi

I ordered four Topping E50 for my 8 channels, can I power them with a multiport charger like this one? it's power only, no data.
Or is it better to buy 4 chargers and a 110V strip?
Look at specs of your multiport charger how much current it provides for each port.

Do you want to use 4x E50? How do you want to split channels of multichannel recording and direct them to different E50? Did you already test this scenario? Each DAC has its own clock, after some time they may get out of sync ...

Look also here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ltichannel-dac-or-multiple-stereo-dacs.11549/

half_dog

From the first day it has that linear laboratory power supply with aprox. 5.1v. I will open the DAC and I will try to measure the internal voltages.
Would not be better to ask for a replacement?

Reactions: 777

Very interesting.... What is it under the OPA1612 single ended ?

Attachments

• e50 topp.jpg
    e50 topp.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 523

JaccoW

Are there any members who use this DAC with a SACD player?

I am aware that most won't output over Coax or Optical (Read: Virtually none) because of the built-in DRM inherent to the SACD format but since the Topping offers DSD decoding... and there are a handful of SACD players that do offer DSD over coax or optical.

bogi

I am aware that most won't output over Coax or Optical (Read: Virtually none) because of the built-in DRM inherent to the SACD format but since the Topping offers DSD decoding... and there are a handful of SACD players that do offer DSD over coax or optical.
Better method may be to rip SACDs.

Rkreddevil

Hi All,

This is my first post :). Question on E50 - is there any advantages to use E50 in DAC only mode? I'm using E50 along with Monoprice THX Amp for my headphones. Also, how do I switch E50 to DAC only mode.

JaccoW

Hi All,

This is my first post :). Question on E50 - is there any advantages to use E50 in DAC only mode? I'm using E50 along with Monoprice THX Amp for my headphones. Also, how do I switch E50 to DAC only mode.
IMHO the main advantage is that the device will show the actual sample rate of the file being played (e.g. 44.1 for cd-quality). Whereas it will only show this for a second in amp mode and then switch over to the volume.

But DAC-mode works best if you have another device controlling the volume.

Check the manual how to switch between these two modes. IIRC you have to switch it off first and then hold and press the main button on the device.

yanm

Forum Donor
It seems to be a smaller footprint for a pin-compatible operational amplifier having a smaller package. The two big pads in the middle may be for a thermal pad. I guess it may serve as second source supply if the OPA1612 becomes unavailable, quite smart… there may be a slight hit in terms of reliability and yield because of the shorter distances between the pads.

Ninjastar

Hi All,

You have to hold the button on the front of the E50 to get to the setup functions and keep going through them until you reach the mode selector.

If you watch this YouTube video, he goes over how to change the functions in the setup menu around the 3:00 mark:

audiofun

They just draw the different packages, in this case son and soic, pin outs in the same place. So they can move to SON packaged op amp (1612 has that) whenever needed.

rikstaker

Hi, does the amp rating matter when selecting 5v charger? Can it be higher than 1 amp 2 or 4?

Secondly I hve the L50 amp, can I connect e50 to l50 using balanced and have the l50 output single ended to my headphone or does the headphone out need to be balanced as well?

Last edited:

bogi

Can it be higher than 1 amp 2 or 4?
Yes. Power supply specs show max current the supply is designed for. Device uses so much current as it actually needs (but of course not more than its poower supply is capable to provide).
can I connect e50 to l50 using balanced and have the l50 output single ended to my headphone or does the headphone out need to be balanced as well?
You can use L50 balanced input with single ended headphone output.

Cofra

I ordered this dac and the PA5 amplifier.

I forgot the fact that I would like to connect a subwoofer later on. Is the E50 capable of output signal in both balanced and unbalanced at the same time in preamp mode? That would solve it for me.

If not I would be happy for other suggestions on how to solve the connection of a subwoofer.

Top Bottom