• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Retired and trying to simplify down to 2 channel only listening

Sugarbubble

"THE WIRES," my wife cries, I am sick of all these wires. Who can blame her, I have two home theater setups each with 9 speakers plus 2 sub woofers.

The other day I was accidentally listening in stereo only mode and was shocked when I discovered it. This made me think that maybe my old ears would be fine listening to movies and music on just a 2 channel system. None of my 2 channel oriented speakers go down much below 30hz.

The help I request is suggestions for a pair of truly full range floor standers that I can use in place of my current setups... think of the reduction in WIRES! Please keep suggestions at or below 25K per pair, if possible.

Thanks in advance.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Towers Under US$25,000/pair:
RecommendationPSLFX
#1Kef Reference 57.6*23*
#2Revel F208 (Amir)6.726
#3Revel F328Be (Amir)6.629
WorthyRevel Ultima2 Studio26.5*24*
WorthyRevel F2066.4*36*
WorthyRevel Ultima2 Salon26.3*23*
WorthyRevel F228Be (Amir)6.230
WorthyRevel F226Be (Erin)6.043
WorthyKef R5 (Erin)5.933
WorthyRevel F35 (Amir)5.739
WorthyJBL 4309 (Amir)3.841
WorthyRevel F36****
WorthyKef R7****
WorthyKef R11****
** No spinorama for Revel F36. I'm including it because we have multiple Revel tower speakers (F35, F226Be, F228Be, F206, F208, Ultima2 Studio2) spinorama already, so it's not a stretch to imagine these will be good.
** No spinorama for Kef R7. I'm including it because we have Kef R3, R5 spinorama already, so it's not a stretch to imagine these are better.
** No spinorama for Kef R11. I'm including it because we have Kef R3, R5 spinorama already, so it's not a stretch to imagine these are better.

LEGEND:
ValueDescription
#1Best rated-speaker in terms of preference score.
#22nd best-rated speaker in terms of preference score.
#33rd best-rated speaker in terms of preference score.
WorthyWorthy picks that either Erin or Amir measured and recommended. Plus a few models that weren't measured but still for consideration, since we can predict will be good, based on similar model's measurements.
PSPreference Score (with no subwoofer added). Value can be negative (for really badly designed speakers) and goes up to a 10 (theoretical limit). Higher is better.
LFXLow Frequency Extension (in hz). This is the bass output at -6db point. This was computed, not estimated. Lower is better.
*We have quasi-anechoic spinorama or similar. However, this speaker wasn't measured using Klippel NFS (that Amir and Erin have), so it's resolution is less accurate. Warning: This will artificially boost the preference score higher than if the same speaker was measured using NFS.

Source of info

Last edited:
OP
S

Sugarbubble

Passive floorstanders Under US$20,000/pair:
RecommendationPSLFX
#1Kef Reference 5*7.623
#2Revel F208 (Amir)6.726
#3Revel F328Be (Amir)6.629
WorthyRevel Ultima2 Studio2*6.524
WorthyRevel F206*6.436
WorthyRevel F226Be (Erin)6.043
WorthyKef R5 (Erin)5.933
WorthyRevel F35 (Amir)5.739
WorthyJBL 4309 (Amir)3.841
WorthyKef R7**
WorthyKef R11**
WorthyRevel F36**
** No spinorama for Kef R7. I'm including it because we have Kef R3, R5 spinorama already, so it's not a stretch to imagine these are better.
** No spinorama for Kef R11. I'm including it because we have Kef R3, R5 spinorama already, so it's not a stretch to imagine these are better.
** No spinorama for Revel F36. I'm including it because we have multiple Revel tower speakers (F35, F226Be, F228Be, F206, F208, Ultima2 Studio2) spinorama already, so it's not a stretch to imagine these will be good.

- PS = Preference Score (with no subwoofer added). Value can be negative (for really badly designed speakers) and goes up to a 10 (theoretical limit). Higher is better.
- LFX = Low Frequency Extension (in hz). This is the bass output at -6db point. This was computed, not estimated. Lower is better.
wow! thanks a ton. the reference 5 looks like a winner if its in my budget. still looking for other recommendations, not necessarily reviewed with competent measurements, because large expensive speakers rarely are.

Digby

Major Contributor
not much is larger than the JBL M2, is that too large?

amper42

Major Contributor
"THE WIRES," my wife cries, I am sick of all these wires. Who can blame her, I have two home theater setups each with 9 speakers plus 2 sub woofers.

The other day I was accidentally listening in stereo only mode and was shocked when I discovered it. This made me think that maybe my old ears would be fine listening to movies and music on just a 2 channel system. None of my 2 channel oriented speakers go down much below 30hz.

The help I request is suggestions for a pair of truly full range floor standers that I can use in place of my current setups... think of the reduction in WIRES! Please keep suggestions at or below 25K per pair, if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Here's your best value option:
BMR Towers at $3700 - https://www.philharmonicaudio.com
Email Dennis at [email protected] if you want to get on the wait list. I plan to compare these directly with my Revel F328Be and expect them to do very well at normal listening levels.
BMR.png

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor

Thanks in advance.
Before you go down what may be an irreversible road. It might be a good experiment to downmix all your content to just Stereo. This will give you a sense of what to expect. Watch some movies and Tv shows in stereo. Just thinking once you yank out all the extra speakers and connectors you may face an insurmountable resistance from the Wife. Should you ultimately decide to go back to multi-channel setup.

Never give up hard fought territory! Coffee or Die :cool:

amper42

Major Contributor
I also have two listening areas. I use one system totally for stereo only music. I use it 95% of the time. I also have a 7.2.4 setup with Denon 4700 for movies. If you have two listening areas already, there's no draw back to turning one into a high quality stereo setup.
In my stereo only system I use:
1. Revel F328Be speakers
2. RME ADI-2 DAC FS (for Pre-amp and DAC) (RPi4 Moode for wireless streaming on USB port)
3. Purifi amp (March Audio P452)
(Soon to A/B the Purifi against the Buckeye Amps NC502MP)

The sound of this stereo system is absolutely beautiful. It's my favorite listening area. You won't be disappointed in a high quality 2-channel system for music.

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Thanks in advance.
That’s why I have separate rooms for music listening and film viewing (home theatre).

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Or -- depending on your room / setup -- invest in some cable raceways + anything else you need to hide and organize your cables. Benefits:
  • You get to keep your existing equipment.
  • You can listen in stereo or full surround.
  • You will spend ~$100 instead of up to $25,000
Here's an example: https://www.prairieaudiomancave.com...ble-raceway-kit-a-winner-for-cable-management

It might not work for your room or end up making your wife happy, but in my experience it's always best to try to the easy + low-cost options first.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The other day I was accidentally listening in stereo only mode and was shocked when I discovered it. This made me think that maybe my old ears would be fine listening to movies and music on just a 2 channel system.
A Momentary Lapse Of Reason, I would think.
I'm 71 and would never not notice I was running in 2ch mode.
Don't let her nagging push you into a rash decision. ;)
You know you won't be happy, how boring is that.
Don't Do It!

Larry B. Larabee

How much would a divorce cost?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Before you go down what may be an irreversible road. It might be a good experiment to downmix all your content to just Stereo. This will give you a sense of what to expect. Watch some movies and Tv shows in stereo. Just thinking once you yank out all the extra speakers and connectors you may face an insurmountable resistance from the Wife. Should you ultimately decide to go back to multi-channel setup.

Never give up hard fought territory! Coffee or Die :cool:
With the first and second wives I simply advised you may use the system when you desire and all resistance faltered after that.

Another Bob

Forum Donor
I almost hate to bring it up due to the bickering it almost inevitably causes, but remember that there is often a difference between a speaker's low frequency extension spec, which is typically measured at small signal levels, and large signal, low frequency output. A speaker with an 8" woofer or a couple 6.5" woofers is simply not going to move as much air down below 30Hz as you are used to with your subwoofers - although it may still be adequate depending on your room size, listening level, and personal tastes.

You might also want to think about your requirement for floor standers (although I prefer them as well). Multiple reviewers have reported very good bass from stand-mount speakers such as the Genelec 8651 (Amir) and the Dutch & Dutch 8C (Erin).

Holmz

Major Contributor
I believe Erin is testing the Sonituva speakers soon.
Hence I would suggest that the OP awaits those to get them onto the spreadsheet.

Top Bottom