• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audyssey's Next Generation of Room Correction (MultEQ-X)

Are you a current Denon/Marantz AVR Owner and if so what do you think of Audyssey's MultEQ-X?

• I'm a current AVR owner. $200 price is acceptable. I've already purchased it.

• I'm a current AVR owner. $200 price is acceptable. I’m willing to spend the money once I learn more.

• I'm a current AVR owner. $200 price is too high. Anything lower is better.

• I'm not a current Denon/Marantz AVR owner. $200 price is acceptable.

• I'm not a current Denon/Marantz AVR owner. $200 price is too high. Anything lower lower is better.

• I'm a current AVR owner. $200 price is acceptable, but I don't like the restrictive terms. Wont buy.

• I'm not an owner. $200 price is acceptable, but I don't like the restrictive terms. Wont buy.

• Other (please explain).

Results are only viewable after voting.

Datec

Also I have to be on the internet then open the app for it to function.

beren777

Maybe they realise that and change their ways? This is why ASR exists.

What I wanted to show to the posters who think Denon are money grabbers or stupid that they are not. They are a hardware company dipping their toes into the software market. Apple, Tesla, they all do the same, but as you said they do it in away that they do not alienate people.

Like it or not, this is the future.

They do not do the same. You keep presenting false equivalences.

For your examples to hold, Apple would need to force you to re-purchase all your apps every time you buy a new iPhone.

Microsoft does not force you to re-purchase your digital games every time you buy a new Xbox. They are tied to your user account, and you can install them on your new Xbox.

The approach they're taking is the worst of all possible combinations, and as you have seen in this thread, it absolutely does tarnish the brand.

The future is one-time or subscription based purchases tied to a user account, transferable to your future hardware, often with concurrent entitlements.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't think of any scenario where someone should buy or recommend a Denon/Marantz product when Onkyo/Pioneer have even better functionality built-in to units that cost several hundred dollars less.
Here is one scenario for not relying on Pioneer AVRs...

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They do not do the same. You keep presenting false equivalences.
There is nothing false about what I said or posted. Have you considered that you may not be understanding what I am saying and/or you are simply not happy to pay?

I update my AVRs every 5-6 years and the amount in question is nothing compared the cost of the equipment in my HT. To me this is a non-issue.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Also I have to be on the internet then open the app for it to function.
That is required naturally in order to validate your license.

beren777

There is nothing false about what I said or posted. Have you considered that you may not be understanding what I am saying and/or you are simply not happy to pay?

I update my AVRs every 5-6 years and the amount in question is nothing compared the cost of the equipment in my HT. To me this is a non-issue.

False? Not completely. Meaningfully misleading? Yes.

I'm glad it's a non-issue to you. God bless and enjoy.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Apple, Tesla, they all do the same, but as you said they do it in away that they do not alienate people.

You may be right about Tesla. I don’t know one way or the other because I didn’t buy FSD or acceleration boost with mine.

You are wrong as to Apple. One doesn’t have to re-buy media when one gets a new AppleTV. When we upgraded our iPhone X models to 13 pro max all of our “free” and paid software, including incidentally the Audyssey App, just migrated over.

I do think the licensing terms may depress uptake, unless it has some really useful features, such as more sophisticated bass control or… ? (Not sure what else they need really). Does it?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Try selling your Apple device and see how many paid software continued to work on it…

Out of scope. Let me reframe.

One reasonable approach is for the license to follow the tangible product. Subsequent buyers enjoy that license over the lifespan of the product. Dirac follows that approach.

The other reasonable approach is for the license to follow the user. This approach is used by, e.g. Apple, Microsoft, FuzzMeasure, etc. If you get a new MacBook, you can legally install MS Office that you had on your old Mac (for example) on the new Mac.

Here, it looks like the license is simply rented by the user for the time period where that user has that certain product. That is considerably less consumer friendly than the other two options above.

amper42

Major Contributor
Try selling your Apple device and see how many paid software continued to work on it…

Perhaps you really haven't used many Apple products? The most restrictive paid applications have an uninstall or de-authorize function so users can move the app to their new computer. I'm not aware of any Apple apps or 3rd party applications that don't allow the user to move software to the new computer. Usually the key consideration is if the existing software is supported on the newer OS/hardware.

Restricting software to a single receiver serial number limits the life of the purchase drastically. My Denon 4500 died after three months. It took Denon 3 months to try to fix it and after two attempts they gave up and replaced it. I can't imagine wanting to try to have to go through another difficult process trying to get the new unit to accept the $200 software. This license scheme would create an incentive NOT to update. It would be like the old ReplayTV system with lifetime service where users tried to keep the original unit running as long as possible so they don't need to pay for the service.

The implications for Denon/Marantz sales reductions would be measurable among the advanced crowd that opts for this software. There are so many reasons why this a poor business decision for Sound United sales. I can't imagine the full impact has been thought through. Phil seems to be shooting from the hip with this intro. The webinar started 15 minutes late and this launch is another example of poor judgement at Sound United. Those new Dirac based companies have to be loving this goofy move.

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Audyssey MultEQ-X Q&A with Jeff Clark
by @joentell

Streamed 6hrs ago...55min long.
Haven't watched it yet. Just saw it.

UPDATE:
I found out that JoeNTell is going to release a series of tutorial videos talking about MultEQ-X, from this website.
Im not sure if this will be paid or free?
I'm guessing Joe will release more info later.

Last edited:

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That is either a misunderstanding, misinformation, or a pandemic-era correction of previous bad behavior. Audyssey did impose their midrange voicing choice (some might say error) on everyone using their "reference" curve.
Yeah I'm not sure what's confusing about MRC. Audyssey EQs to a target curve. If you put a dip in that target curve, then it will not EQ if your speaker already has that dip. But if your speaker DOESN'T have that dip, then it will try to EQ it in.

The whole MRC thing is basically Audyssey deciding "EQing crossover dips flat is bad, and most speakers will have them in this area, so lets not." Which actually shoots people with good 3-ways or coaxials right in the foot, among others.
As it is, they are effectively giving everyone 200 reasons to buy a Dirac-enabled Onkyo instead for their next upgrade.
Yes, I think they've fucked up their pricing model. For people with older AVRs, who might get a better experience and decide to stick with Denon, why would they spend $200 when they're going to buy a new AVR in the next couple of years and then be forced to re-buy the software?

Datec

Ok so all bickering aside. Kinda makes me feel like I just waisted $200.

For what's it's worth if I had an older possibly out dated unit I wouldn't have bought it and if and when I sell this one I don't care about if the buyer has or dosent have access to this version of EQ, they can buy it if they want.

Last edited:

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
I REALLY wanted this to be along the lines of Dirac, which I use on my main workstation in my study and my music laptop in my media room. I also have the MultiEQ app on my Android phone and tablet, and I have experienced reasonably good success with it, after spending many hours of measuring with the included Denon mic, then re-measuring with my UMIK-1 and REW, then tweaking the target curve, re-measuring, re-tweaking, re-measuring, repeat, repeat, repeat over a few days with an empty home.

I can do a lot of that in my spare time before I start to think $200 might be worth it per AVR--especially if I use it as an excuse to drink good beer.

With Dirac, the calibration process takes a few hours on exactly 1 day--all with the same calibrated mic. AND, the PC version of Dirac Live Standalone license extends to something like 5 PCs in the same household, with a lot of flexibility, at a cost of $350.

The only thing this gains me, other than time, is sub integration that Dirac cannot have in my use cases, but that is not to say it is not possible in other use cases.

For those concerned about the usability of the $20 MultiEQ app, things get much more precise with the addition of a $12 Bluetooth mouse and especially a tablet-sized screen.

This is where things sit after several iterations with the far less expensive, more time consuming MultiEQ app / REW process described above. Not bad at all IMHO. Should I find the time, I could improve it even more, but it sounds damn good to me now.

MMM Left F206 SB2000 Audyssey 180.png

MMM Right F206 SB2000 Audyssey 180.png

Last edited:

Megaken

"Licenses are per-user and per-AVR-serial-number, and are non-transferrable."

$200 per AVR, non-transferable to a new buyer, and not usable on a new AVR? That's going to be a deal breaker for many people, possibly for me. It's a shockingly consumer unfriendly move.
right, like what if my AVR breaks tomorrow and I need to get a new one

amper42

Major Contributor
I think they did say they would make exceptions for failed avr's. But I could be wrong.
Sound United said they might make an exception but there was no automatic procedure to do so. Which leaves it very questionable. The problem is Denon can take months to repair a receiver mailed to PanurgyOEM for repair and Sound United has limited warranty service locations. It's not unusual for owners to buy a new receiver after a few weeks without a receiver - as they get tired of waiting. Most of the time they purchase a newer unit which automatically would not qualify to receive the transfer of the $200 software according to todays webinar.

Top Bottom