• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Brain surgeons and rocket scientists no brighter than the rest of us, study finds

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Courtesy of the Guardian and BMJ

Full paper

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually your thread title is not correct. Your two links show brain surgeons and rocket scientists to be overall rather similar. Neither link says they aren't brighter than the rest of us. Only that BS and RS aren't worlds better than the other group in those two.

Or as I remember from years ago something my flight instructor told me. His previous student to me dropping by for a lesson was an unusually beautiful young woman. I guess he noticed that I noticed. He said, "that right there is the smartest woman you'll see." I said, "well if she is smarter than she looks good she is smart indeed". His reply, "that woman married a neurosurgeon and has time, and money to pretty much do anything she wants." I had to agree that she was smarter than a neurosurgeon at least.

OP
PierreV

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually your thread title is not correct. Your two links show brain surgeons and rocket scientists to be overall rather similar. Neither link says they aren't brighter than the rest of us. Only that BS and RS aren't worlds better than the other group in those two.

My thread title is just the Guardian's title. I added no commentary.

It seems fair anyway.

When each group’s scores for the six domains were compared with those in the general population, only two differences were significant: the neurosurgeons’ problem solving speed was quicker (mean z score 0.24, 95% confidence interval 0.07 to 0.41) and their memory recall speed was slower (−0.19, −0.34 to −0.04).

symphara

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Did this study actually compare these groups' IQ vs the general population?

Andreas007

This study is trivial.
To be a scientist, surgeon or an engineer you don‘t need to be „bright“.
You simply have to learn and work hard and your parents must have enough resources and will to support your strengths. Then combine it with aquired skill, experience and the willingness to continuously improve and learn. That should be enough to be a “normal” scientist/engineer. But all this does not save you from being an idiot! :D

Then, of course, there are the ones with higher IQ who clearly can achieve more than the average.
And the “real” great minds are very rare in this world.

Last edited:

Katji

Major Contributor
Bollox. The Guardian, I suppose similar incidence of rubbish to BBC.

But all this does not save you from being an idiot! :D
Btw, I know a surgeon who buys every audiophile power and digital decrappifier he comes across, and a special network switch.

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A review of Cippola's 1st law is in order.

It's important to recognize that most systems of higher education are *not* based on selection, by merit.

Before we get smug about our chances in any highly technical field, note that these also have self corrections; your peers will count the number of botched surgeries and lost Martian rovers.

The cynical among us (raises hand) will recognize these as hallmarks required for promotion to management.

MCH

Major Contributor
This study is trivial.
To be a scientist, surgeon or an engineer you don‘t need to be „bright“.
You simply have to learn and work hard and your parents must have enough resources and will to support your strengths. Then combine it with aquired skill, experience and the willingness to continuously improve and learn. That should be enough to be a “normal” scientist/engineer. But all this does not save you from being an idiot! :D

Then, of course, there are the ones with higher IQ who clearly can achieve more than the average.
And the “real” great minds are very rare in this world.
Fully agree but i would add something. On top of all that you say, people that do research do need to have a certain creativity, capacity to think outside the box or call it as you want.
Not meaning that people that don't do it can't have it, but it is very different to be an engineer or a surgeon that just applies what others have found and she/he has learned than being the one generating that knowledge.

Fregly

From skimming through, I think the the journalist who wrote the Guardian article and authors of the study are definately lower IQ than rocket scientists. That is the only solid conclusion from this one.

dfuller

Major Contributor
It's not rocket surgery, guys...

Top Bottom