• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best value streamer with no DAC

Transmaniacon

These are useful if you want to charge your phone as well as control a DAC...

I'm using one with UAPP on my Galaxy Note 9 and Topping D50s. It also works with my 10" Huawei tablet if I want a bigger screen to browse on.
I’ve been using my old iPhone 6S+ as a dedicated music streamer with the camera adapter. While it does work well and pass full lossless audio to my DAC, I have to get up and walk to my stereo to play/pause/skip or find something else to listen to. It’s a bit of a hassle unless you just like to listen to albums at a time.

I have a Bluetooth remote coming that should let me perform those functions, but ultimately being able to control everything while sitting in your listening position is ideal. I don’t think it’s possible to do this with Apple at the moment unless you use a Mac as your source.

I am looking into alternate options with a RPi4b streamer, but most of them require a third party app and I’d prefer to use the native audio app to play music. Spotify and Tidal Connect both exist, but Spotify hasn’t released hifi quality and Tidal is using compressed MQA versions for their hifi tier. Qobuz to my knowledge requires an app like Moode to play through. There is Roon which would be nice, but $$$.

Astojab

Three other devices I'm curious about:
- Octavio audio streamer. Seems like a hi-res chromecast puck, with an own app though. https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/stre...fect-wifi-bluetooth-24bit-192khz-p-15804.html
- Is EarMen making a streamer called "staccato"? I can't find info about it apart from this teaser.
View attachment 168194
- WIIM MINI audio streamer. Another hi-res chromecast like, with Tidal Connect and Spotify Connect. This to me seems like a better deal than raspberry pi implementation with Tidal connect (since you need to pay the subscription to Volumio on top of the Tidal subscription).
After seeing this comment I bought the Octavio audio streamer on a whim and it arrived yesterday:

First impression are mostly positiv, the Setup was easy: Install the App via QR code, connect the streamer to the power, than follow the app instructions. It plays Amazon HD in "HD" quality (44.1 khz) according to the support, but it is not shown in the app.

The App is easy to use and ironaiclly often more responsive than the Amazon app. But a lot of functions from the Amazon App are missing like dierectly go to the Artist from a Title or to the Album. There also isnt a "play next" list or the option to start a "Radio" based on the song. Otherwise all categories are present. Switching Titles takes a few seconds of loading, but that is also the Case on the Amazon Music mobile app and even the Desktop app. Otherwise all categories are there and the search function is itnerestingly better than in the Amazon Music app.

The most annoying thing is that it sometimes goes back to the starting screen after you chose a Title from your favourits, but again that is something I also experienced with the Amazon Music app.

All in all I can say so far it is a good devices for the price and I like it much better than the Yamaha Musiccast app I was using with my first Amp (the R-N402) which was a lot slower. I also wanted to add I contacted the Support before buying and they answered pretty fast and also promised a future update with the support for Amazon Ultra HD (24 bit/192khz) but I hope they improve the app with more functionality.

I can't compare it to Heos or Bluesound streamers, because I have limited experience with these devices, but I can say I ran into problems faster with both Apps compared to the Ocatvio app.

Three other devices I'm curious about:
- Octavio audio streamer. Seems like a hi-res chromecast puck, with an own app though. https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/stre...fect-wifi-bluetooth-24bit-192khz-p-15804.html
- Is EarMen making a streamer called "staccato"? I can't find info about it apart from this teaser.
View attachment 168194
- WIIM MINI audio streamer. Another hi-res chromecast like, with Tidal Connect and Spotify Connect. This to me seems like a better deal than raspberry pi implementation with Tidal connect (since you need to pay the subscription to Volumio on top of the Tidal subscription).
has anyone tested that WIIM MINI audio streamer?
That seems to be exactly the product I am searching for: Tidal Connect, Spotify Connect, and optical-out.
As I have active speakers with optical-in (Avi Adm9), I am searching for a streamer which can output 24/96 (even 16/44 is ok if the price/cost is reasonable) on optical port and have Tidal Connect integrated. Everything I've found so far which does Tidal Connect is over 500 Eur, and that's way too much just for a Tidal Connect with optical-out device...

I've also found this AirLino which is within the budget, but it doesn't support Tidal Connect (yet).

Last edited:

RosalieTheDog

has anyone tested that WIIM MINI audio streamer?
That seems to be exactly the product I am searching for: Tidal Connect, Spotify Connect, and optical-out.
As I have active speakers with optical-in (Avi Adm9), I am searching for a streamer which can output 24/96 (even 16/44 is ok if the price/cost is reasonable) on optical port and have Tidal Connect integrated. Everything I've found so far which does Tidal Connect is over 500 Eur, and that's way too much just for a Tidal Connect with optical-out device...

I've also found this AirLino which is within the budget, but it doesn't support Tidal Connect (yet).
There is this review today, which bafflingly doesn't discuss optical output.

However, come to think of it, what is the added value of Tidal Connect over say Chromecast? Tidal Connect over USB offers 'MQA' of course, but over toslink no.

There is this review today, which bafflingly doesn't discuss optical output.

However, come to think of it, what is the added value of Tidal Connect over say Chromecast? Tidal Connect over USB offers 'MQA' of course, but over toslink no.
Thank you! Interesting review... pretty bad the optical-out has not been reviewed at all. I do not want to be mean in any way, but when reviewing things, better review them in a complete manner, or just leave it to others who can do it right. Anyways, better this review than nothing. :)

On Monday, I shall receive my unit. I'll connect it via optical to my active speakers. I have no tools to do any measurements, so, I'll have to trust my ears to compare with my AirPort Express when streaming via AirPlay from my iPhone (and from my NAS).

Apple Music and Tidal sounds quite good to me (well, good enough) now over AirPort Express optical-out (I only have the HiFi CD quality account anyways, no Masters for me that is, so, I am not sure how MQA behaves or whether it makes any difference anyways). But I do have some HiRes on my Synology NAS. I'll try those too next week (now I cannot try them properly over Airport Express as Airplay is limited to 16/44).
Apple Music ca do HiRes, but not over AirPlay, so, I cannot try those HiRes streamed from Apple.
Wiim told me that the streamer can output 192khz/24bits high-res for all outputs, including the optical port. Let's see/hear it...

For a bit over 100Eur, I do not have high expectation. That's the purpose for me getting this streamer: convenience at a good price/value. Otherwise, I would have gone for a proper system, but that costs way more cash than this little guy.

PS: As I am invested in Apple, Chromecast is basically of no use to me.

Thank you! Interesting review... pretty bad the optical-out has not been reviewed at all. I do not want to be mean in any way, but when reviewing things, better review them in a complete manner, or just leave it to others who can do it right. Anyways, better this review than nothing. :)

On Monday, I shall receive my unit. I'll connect it via optical to my active speakers. I have no tools to do any measurements, so, I'll have to trust my ears to compare with my AirPort Express when streaming via AirPlay from my iPhone (and from my NAS).

Apple Music and Tidal sounds quite good to me (well, good enough) now over AirPort Express optical-out (I only have the HiFi CD quality account anyways, no Masters for me that is, so, I am not sure how MQA behaves or whether it makes any difference anyways). But I do have some HiRes on my Synology NAS. I'll try those too next week (now I cannot try them properly over Airport Express as Airplay is limited to 16/44).
Apple Music ca do HiRes, but not over AirPlay, so, I cannot try those HiRes streamed from Apple.
Wiim told me that the streamer can output 192khz/24bits high-res for all outputs, including the optical port. Let's see/hear it...

For a bit over 100Eur, I do not have high expectation. That's the purpose for me getting this streamer: convenience at a good price/value. Otherwise, I would have gone for a proper system, but that costs way more cash than this little guy.

PS: As I am invested in Apple, Chromecast is basically of no use to me.
so, I've received it today, and in a way it's a bit of a bummer...
The music sounds great to my ears streamed from this little guy via my active speakers using optical connection, however, Tidal Connect doesn't work as I was expected - or maybe I haven't found how to set it up properly. I've got this little guy because it says it supports Tidal Connect, which is (as far as I know) working in the same way as Spotify Connect is working, however, Spotify Connect works perfectly (the app on my phone sees the WiiM without doing or configuring anything), but Tidal Connect does not. The device doesn't show up in Tidal app on my phone. I can only play Tidal using their WiiM app. Again, the sound is great keeping in mind the cost of this streamer, however, I am now a bit puzzled whether I shall keep it, or buy something else which actually has working Tidal Connect.
Anyways, I'll run some more music on it, including some HiRes, then I will take a decision.
AirPlay also works fine, and sounds same/similar as when I am using my Airport Express. Perhaps a bit more open and clearer than the Airport express, but it may be just placebo.
I haven't tried the other few services which re supported by WiiM, but I can assume they are working fine.

RosalieTheDog

so, I've received it today, and in a way it's a bit of a bummer...
The music sounds great to my ears streamed from this little guy via my active speakers using optical connection, however, Tidal Connect doesn't work as I was expected - or maybe I haven't found how to set it up properly. I've got this little guy because it says it supports Tidal Connect, which is (as far as I know) working in the same way as Spotify Connect is working, however, Spotify Connect works perfectly (the app on my phone sees the WiiM without doing or configuring anything), but Tidal Connect does not. The device doesn't show up in Tidal app on my phone. I can only play Tidal using their WiiM app. Again, the sound is great keeping in mind the cost of this streamer, however, I am now a bit puzzled whether I shall keep it, or buy something else which actually has working Tidal Connect.
Anyways, I'll run some more music on it, including some HiRes, then I will take a decision.
AirPlay also works fine, and sounds same/similar as when I am using my Airport Express. Perhaps a bit more open and clearer than the Airport express, but it may be just placebo.
I haven't tried the other few services which re supported by WiiM, but I can assume they are working fine.
Damn, that's unfortunate. I hope you can get it to work, that Wiim looked promising.
Keep us updated, I am also curious about affordable Tidal Connect ready streamers without DAC and optical, usb or coaxial out.

Damn, that's unfortunate. I hope you can get it to work, that Wiim looked promising.
Keep us updated, I am also curious about affordable Tidal Connect ready streamers without DAC and optical, usb or coaxial out.
yeah... no actual Tidal Connect on this little puck. :|
At least, it plays 24/96 easily from my NAS. As I use optical, as far as know, this bitrate is the max supported by the optical anyways.
I've tried to play some 24/352, but it plays the files at half speed or so. No idea why. Maybe something's wrong configured on my NAS. :)

uudruid74

So, I have the right DAC for MQA as I was using volumio and it was working fine. However, the bugs, inability to send to Chromecasts, failure to fix bugs, and the constant "upgrade your subscription" which won't actually do anything but cost me more money ... anyway, I've switched to picoreplayer. I have two problems.

I have done everything I can to send the data to the system bit-perfect. No volume control, using "hw" device rather than "plughw", etc. But, no MQA

I am also getting a weird static in one channel that I wasn't getting before. It is really annoying. Someone please help. I have run into countless bugs in picoreplayer's lms and I'm really tired of banging my head against a brick wall.

yeah... no actual Tidal Connect on this little puck. :|
At least, it plays 24/96 easily from my NAS. As I use optical, as far as know, this bitrate is the max supported by the optical anyways.
I've tried to play some 24/352, but it plays the files at half speed or so. No idea why. Maybe something's wrong configured on my NAS. :)
Just to follow up: today I’ve got the firmware update, and now Tidal Connect is there, working perfectly fine.

uudruid74

So, I have the right DAC for MQA as I was using volumio and it was working fine. However, the bugs, inability to send to Chromecasts, failure to fix bugs, and the constant "upgrade your subscription" which won't actually do anything but cost me more money ... anyway, I've switched to picoreplayer. I have two problems.

I have done everything I can to send the data to the system bit-perfect. No volume control, using "hw" device rather than "plughw", etc. But, no MQA

I am also getting a weird static in one channel that I wasn't getting before. It is really annoying. Someone please help. I have run into countless bugs in picoreplayer's lms and I'm really tired of banging my head against a brick wall.
The weird static was my expensive Harmon Kardon amp dying

I have MQA sorta working. The Tidal plugin only grabs the MQA version when there is no other FLAC format. So the plugin (Logitech, not open source) is killing some 80% of my MQA. Its not a configuration issue!

Klonatans

Forum Donor
Hi there,

I received a Wiim Mini streamer yesterday (from Amazon Germany, next day delivery). The initial setup was very easy, I connected it to my Electrocompaniet ECI 6DX via provided optical cable and the little puck worked as a charm. I listened to music for about three hours and didn't experience any app crashes or signal dropouts. I can confirm that Tidal Connect is supported, however I couldn't use the native Qobuz app for music replay. This is not a deal breaker as one can use Qobuz via Wiim Player app that looks pretty well organized.
In terms of replay stability it's a night and day difference compared to Google Chromecast Audio.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Hi there,

I received a Wiim Mini streamer yesterday (from Amazon Germany, next day delivery). The initial setup was very easy, I connected it to my Electrocompaniet ECI 6DX via provided optical cable and the little puck worked as a charm. I listened to music for about three hours and didn't experience any app crashes or signal dropouts. I can confirm that Tidal Connect is supported, however I couldn't use the native Qobuz app for music replay. This is not a deal breaker as one can use Qobuz via Wiim Player app that looks pretty well organized.
In terms of replay stability it's a night and day difference compared to Google Chromecast Audio.
Screenshot 2022-01-17 5.07.02 PM.png

Looks like they're planning to update the firmware to output "hi-rez" on the SPDIF output soon...

Klonatans

Forum Donor
View attachment 179817

Looks like they're planning to update the firmware to output "hi-rez" on the SPDIF output soon...
Hi Ralph,

thanks for the information. As they updated the device for Tidal Connect compatability, I hope they will provide this update too. Unfortunately I can see the bit depth and sample rate only when the Electrocompaniet device's streaming function is controlled via its own app. I bought the Wiim Mini for another system in my secondary residence and I'm ok with 16/48 for a while.

Kegemusha

After seeing this comment I bought the Octavio audio streamer on a whim and it arrived yesterday:

First impression are mostly positiv, the Setup was easy: Install the App via QR code, connect the streamer to the power, than follow the app instructions. It plays Amazon HD in "HD" quality (44.1 khz) according to the support, but it is not shown in the app.

The App is easy to use and ironaiclly often more responsive than the Amazon app. But a lot of functions from the Amazon App are missing like dierectly go to the Artist from a Title or to the Album. There also isnt a "play next" list or the option to start a "Radio" based on the song. Otherwise all categories are present. Switching Titles takes a few seconds of loading, but that is also the Case on the Amazon Music mobile app and even the Desktop app. Otherwise all categories are there and the search function is itnerestingly better than in the Amazon Music app.

The most annoying thing is that it sometimes goes back to the starting screen after you chose a Title from your favourits, but again that is something I also experienced with the Amazon Music app.

All in all I can say so far it is a good devices for the price and I like it much better than the Yamaha Musiccast app I was using with my first Amp (the R-N402) which was a lot slower. I also wanted to add I contacted the Support before buying and they answered pretty fast and also promised a future update with the support for Amazon Ultra HD (24 bit/192khz) but I hope they improve the app with more functionality.

I can't compare it to Heos or Bluesound streamers, because I have limited experience with these devices, but I can say I ran into problems faster with both Apps compared to the Ocatvio app.
So how is the Octavio? still good? can you play 24b files from UPnp or NAS drives?

Astojab

So how is the Octavio? still good? can you play 24b files from UPnp or NAS drives?
I am still happy with it. I just tried to play a 24bit File with Bubble UPNP from my phone and it worked . I can't say anything about NAS, but I would guess it works. You could also ask the Support. I did contact them prior to buying the Streamer and they answered pretty fast.

tom_tom

There is a new version of Octavio

and even cheaper Ieast M50 Pro

Last edited:

nothingman

Just finding out about the Wiim Mini. The thing that really gets me about this is that it says it uses the microphone to sync multi-room Airplay 2. Is anyone aware of any other implementation of this type of syncing? I can’t find anything about it. Think it’s just a Wiim implementation, or something Apple provides that is hiding in other Airplay 2 devices like the microphone enabled Sonos One or HomePods?

I use a Sonos One SL in the same room as an Airport Express A1392 feeding a set of bookshelves to cover a big room and they often get out of sync (no microphones on either the One SL or Express). Switching out the Express for the Wiim Mini could very well solve all of that. Anyone try it out?

Top Bottom