• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ARE THERE ANY OTHER KLIPPEL USERS POSTING ON YT?

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
You do have folks like @joentell who provide measurements. Joe's aren't anechoic; they are MMM in-room a few feet from the speaker, IIRC. But, that's still better than nothing. And as I have shown many times over, a spatial average does indeed line up very well to the predicted in-room response (PIR) which is calculated from the SPINORAMA data.

So, with Joe's in-room measurements we can still learn a good bit about the response above about 800Hz or so (where the room no longer is a contributing factor for the majority of speakers). For example, if the MMM yields a flat response rather than sloped down then we can assume the sound might be a bit bright. And we can see crossover directivity errors from mid to tweeter.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Video can either be great or awful. If one sets out to teach and is successful at it, then video is great. If someone takes a thimbleful of information and stretches it into a 20-minute video, it's awful. Unfortunately, one sees more of the later, often with an advertisement every 2 minutes.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Video can either be great or awful. If one sets out to teach and is successful at it, then video is great. If someone takes a thimbleful of information and stretches it into a 20-minute video, it's awful. Unfortunately, one sees more of the later, often with an advertisement every 2 minutes.
If anything Erin's videos have too much content, but I feel like he gets through it fairly efficiently now.

For the general consumer I think Erin is coming close to the ideal format for an informative loudspeaker review. Listening impressions, comparisons, lots of data. The problem is that the general public is not only uninformed but misinformed about loudspeaker metrics, so you'll always get some smoothbrain asking about square wave response or something.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If anything Erin's videos have too much content, but I feel like he gets through it fairly efficiently now.

For the general consumer I think Erin is coming close to the ideal format for an informative loudspeaker review. Listening impressions, comparisons, lots of data. The problem is that the general public is not only uninformed but misinformed about loudspeaker metrics, so you'll always get some smoothbrain asking about square wave response or something.
The general public most likely buys the bright showroom sound speakers like Klipsch and B&W. I doubt the general public bothers with either Erin or ASR.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
The general public most likely buys the bright showroom sound speakers like Klipsch and B&W. I doubt the general public bothers with either Erin or ASR.

It’s a niche of a niche, for sure. But I routinely get positive comments from newcomers who stumbled in when looking for a review on x, y or z speaker. We all started off somewhere.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

We've discussed this before but I don't think many enthusiasts, especially younger ones, find showrooms particularly appealing; I personally have only been to two hifi shops in my area and I wouldn't consider visiting either if I was in the market for speakers.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I dream someone in the UE will get an NFS and do measurements there too, would open a lot more options and more bandwidth to test things.
Why o why does it have to cost 100k...

Ultrasonic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
As I said, IHMO.
Video alwas feels like really bad lecturing to me. Not time to digest at your own pace, difficult to look up / google things you don't understand, etc.
Whereas with a book or properly written article the processes of getting a grip on a topic is much more interactive, interactive with oneself, so to say.

YouTube has a pause function...

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I usually first read Erin's excellent written reviews and sometimes watch also the corresponding videos after which don't really provide me any significant new information, but guess for people entering the hobby they can be be quite helpful as its easier to explain in detail the measurements there so I don't mind him having both, even less if they bring more hobbyists to the objective side of audio.

hvbias

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It’s a niche of a niche, for sure. But I routinely get positive comments from newcomers who stumbled in when looking for a review on x, y or z speaker. We all started off somewhere.

Youtube is awesome. I can watch something on my phone, pause it, look things up, come back to any one of my computers and the video is just where I left off on a previous device. Subscribe to channels and select which ones I want notifications from and which ones I don't. A huge thanks for your reviews.

The entire medical education at a preclinical level has moved to online via video. Students can get physicians teaching them preclinical education from a physician that covers how things are clinically relevant instead of from a PhD that only has the theoretical knowledge and bogs them down with insane levels detail they'll never need to know outside of their vomiting back information for their in house exams. Because the institutions still think it's the mid 20th century and don't want to adapt the curricula accordingly.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I usually first read Erin's excellent written reviews and sometimes watch also the corresponding videos after which don't really provide me any significant new information, but guess for people entering the hobby they can be be quite helpful as its easier to explain in detail the measurements there so I don't mind him having both, even less if they bring more hobbyists to the objective side of audio.

Yep.

And this is precisely why I have this note in my written reviews:
The review on this website is a brief overview and summary of the objective performance of this speaker. It is not intended to be a deep dive. Moreso, this is information for those who prefer “just the facts” and prefer to have the data without the filler. The video below has more discussion.

and I end with this:
As stated in the Foreword, this written review is purposely a cliff’s notes version. For more details about the performance (objectively and subjectively) please watch the YouTube video.

joentell

Reviewer
You do have folks like @joentell who provide measurements. Joe's aren't anechoic; they are MMM in-room a few feet from the speaker, IIRC. But, that's still better than nothing. And as I have shown many times over, a spatial average does indeed line up very well to the predicted in-room response (PIR) which is calculated from the SPINORAMA data.

So, with Joe's in-room measurements we can still learn a good bit about the response above about 800Hz or so (where the room no longer is a contributing factor for the majority of speakers). For example, if the MMM yields a flat response rather than sloped down then we can assume the sound might be a bit bright. And we can see crossover directivity errors from mid to tweeter.
Erin, you and I talk all the time, but to let others in on what we talk about; I mostly do the measurements for myself. I do a "ghetto spinorama" to make sure that I'm somewhat in the ballpark when I'm reviewing a speaker and talking about it's characteristics. I listen also. I just share my measurements because I figure it's more about transparency. If my sample has an issue which I can hear, and my measurements confirm, then I'm comfortable stating it publicly on my channel. I do the measurements instead of "trusting my ears" because I do think our ears can play tricks on us. For me, it's a balancing act of what the objective data tells us, what we experience, and how they correlate.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Youtube is awesome. I can watch something on my phone, pause it, look things up, come back to any one of my computers and the video is just where I left off on a previous device. Subscribe to channels and select which ones I want notifications from and which ones I don't. A huge thanks for your reviews.

The entire medical education at a preclinical level has moved to online via video. Students can get physicians teaching them preclinical education from a physician that covers how things are clinically relevant instead of from a PhD that only has the theoretical knowledge and bogs them down with insane levels detail they'll never need to know outside of their vomiting back information for their in house exams. Because the institutions still think it's the mid 20th century and don't want to adapt the curricula accordingly.
This is relevant. I'm an outdated veteran, and prefer written info with tables and diagrams, but my adult kids don't even look at newspapers and magazines. But yes, in general we obviously need both media.

About EU, we don't have common language, and that makes it not so easy to get enough publicity (views) for a website like this or like Erin, and to balance economics of the purchase of expensive devices. English was my first foreign language and we Finns watch moviesTV programs with original sound and translated text, unlike the French, German, Italian, Spanish, Polish etc. speaking large populations. Each have also very good domestic audio forums with very capable hobbyists that design and measure speakers themselves. We have google translate, but it is not easy to actively follow foreign threads and understand common language and idioms.

Last edited:

Xmech team

Video is IMHO a most unsuited format for technical reviews, basically worthless.

Videos are invaluable in teaching newbies about technical stuff. As Erin has pointed out, it's like attending a lecture vs reading on your own. I learned about objective measurements after bumping into @hardisj 's early videos (especially the Jamo S809 speaker review). Then @amirm started doing explainer videos of his measurements, which really improved my understanding. Significantly.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
I think Youtube is great and hifi enthusiasts ( and our own community!) would greatly benefit if we provided a step by step guide on how to use REW for example.

Descartes

Major Contributor
Thanks, man.

I have talked to Arendal. Actually, one of their dealers reached out to them and asked if they would send me stuff for review. Arendal contacted me and asked what I would want to review. I asked folks on my channel and then told Arendal. Arendal then asked if we could wait until mid-December to resume the request because it would be easier on their shipping, IIRC. Maybe a shipment warehouse thing. So I will email them in a week or two and go from there.
Did you ever hear back from them?

Descartes

Major Contributor
Yep I used to be one of them and owned B&W and Klipsh sold them all replaced them with KEF & JBL

Top Bottom