• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF T301C Review (Ultra-thin Speaker)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 141 80.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the KEF T301C ultra-thin center speaker. It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $450.

As is indicated, this is a very shallow speaker:
KEF T301c Review T301 UltraThin Center Speaker.jpg

Configuration is mid-woofer, tweeter, mid-woofer. There are no ports:

KEF T301c Review T301 Back Panel binding posts UltraThin Center Speaker.jpg

Back panel has a soft-feel ("rubberized") paint. Hopefully it won't get sticky over time.

The kick stand is loose which doesn't give me confidence that it won't fall over although it did not during all of my testing.

Binding posts are screwed in terminals and worked surprisingly well.

Note that the same Speaker is sold as T301 with vertical configuration and mounting hardware. Owner kindly sent that to me as well but given the results below, I don't think we need to measure it.

A compact speaker like this is a dream as far as usability below a TV on the wall which is the type of imagery company uses to promote it. My measurements and listening tests did NOT follow that as I tested it like any stand alone speaker.

Measurements that you are about to see were performed using the Klippel Near-field Scanner (NFS). This is a robotic measurement system that analyzes the speaker all around and is able (using advanced mathematics and dual scan) to subtract room reflections (so where I measure it doesn't matter). It also measures the speaker at close distance ("near-field") which sharply reduces the impact of room noise. Both of these factors enable testing in ordinary rooms yet results that can be more accurate than an anechoic chamber. In a nutshell, the measurements show the actual sound coming out of the speaker independent of the room.

Measurements are compliant with latest speaker research into what can predict the speaker preference and is standardized in CEA/CTA-2034 ANSI specifications. Likewise listening tests are performed per research that shows mono listening is much more revealing of differences between speakers than stereo or multichannel.

Reference axis was the center of the tweeter (aligned by eye through the grill). It is getting colder with the measurement room temp at 16 degrees C. Accuracy is better than 1% for most of the range but drops to 2% for part of the spectrum. Grill was left on (not sure if it is removable anyway).

KEF T301C Measurements
Acoustic measurements can be grouped in a way that can be perceptually analyzed to determine how good a speaker is and how it can be used in a room. This so called spinorama shows us just about everything we need to know about the speaker with respect to tonality and some flaws:
KEF T301c Measurement Frequency Response T301 UltraThin Center Speaker.png

This is a disappointing response. Yes, without a port and in such a compact enclosure, bass response is sacrificed but what is up with that highly elevated treble response? And much messiness between 900 Hz and 1.5 kHz?

Early window reflections (which do NOT apply fully if you mount it on the wall), doesn't look pretty either:

KEF T301c Measurement Early Window Frequency Response T301 UltraThin Center Speaker.png

Predicted in-room response therefore is not what we are looking for:

KEF T301c Measurement Predicted In-room Frequency Response T301 UltraThin Center Speaker.png

Near-field response is not very diganostic:
KEF T301c Measurement Driver Frequency Response T301 UltraThin Center Speaker.png

I am measuring one woofer where in reality both are firing and creating interference pattern between them.

I expect the beam width to narrow due to "MTM" configuration and it does, but not nearly as much as we have seen in other speakers:

KEF T301c Measurement Horizontal beam width Response T301 UltraThin Center Speaker.png

At first I could not figure out why it is asymmetrical but as I was writing this review, I realized one side has that KEF label so one side will have different response than the other. It also looks like I was off a bit in my centering (hard to see through the grill). Regardless, directivity is quite uneven as we would expect from the design:

KEF T301c Measurement Horizontal Directivity Response T301 UltraThin Center Speaker.png

And predictably, works better vertically:
KEF T301c Measurement Vertical Directivity Response T301 UltraThin Center Speaker.png

There is beaming (narrowing) above 3 to 4 kHz however.

Zooming in the problematic 933 Hz resonance we get this very complex sound field:

KEF T301c Measurement 3D Directivity T301 UltraThin Center Speaker.png

I have the video at 45 degrees so that you can see its complexity. There are a lot of components contributing to make it look this odd.

I was impressed with the low distortion of the tweeter:

KEF T301c Measurement Distortion Response T301 UltraThin Center Speaker.png

KEF T301c Measurement THD Distortion Response T301 UltraThin Center Speaker.png

Impedance dips to the usual 4 ohm region:
KEF T301c Measurement Impedance and phase Response T301 UltraThin Center Speaker.png

For fans of timing graphs, here are the CSD and impulse responses:
KEF T301c Measurement CSD Waterfall Response T301 UltraThin Center Speaker.png

KEF T301c Measurement Impulse Response T301 UltraThin Center Speaker.png

KEF T301C Listening Tests and Equalization
Let's get the obvious out of the way: this thing is bright sounding, super bright sounding! Yes, it portrays that impression of "very detailed and high resolution" but come on, this is just too much. The effect is exaggerated here due to lack of bass. So even after I EQed it, it still sounded bright:

KEF T301c Equalization EQ T301 UltraThin Center Speaker.png

That resonance around 1 kHz also contributed to the feeling of brightness so pulling it down helped. I tried to boost the bass response but it just got tubbier sounding. It did not however, fall apart.

There were moments of excellence in high frequency notes. Whether it is helped with frequency response boost there, I am not sure but there was this clarity and niceness that I picked up time and time again.

I checked for listening angle and was surprised that at my listening distance (about 10 feet), it was not an issue moving over one seat. I got close to the speaker and there, it is a problem as you literally hear the speaker center shift from tweeter to the woofer you are closes to. This goes away as you move past 1 meter/3 feet or so. If you are mounting the speaker on the wall next to the speaker and it encourages people to walk up to it, this may be an issue for you.

Wondering about resonances I saw in measurements, I touched the speaker cabinet as it was playing. This thing resonates with *every* note in music! On normal speakers it is the strong bass notes that cause resonances you can easily feel. Here, the cabinet was continuously vibrating no matter how the music changed. Form factor here is really getting in the way of good performance.

Conclusions
When you have a speaker from KEF, yet it is chasing the same marketing message as the rest of the crowd, you want to think that they have somehow bent the laws of physics to do better. While that may be true to a small degree, the T301C (and T301 sister) are just not what I consider hi-fi. It is way too bright. It lacks bass and good luck trying to integrate a sub into it (and two others for left and right in different locations). And has tons of resonances.

Is it better than the sound coming out of a speaker by itself? Sure. but don't put much hope that you can be producing serious fidelity out of this speaker. It just can't do it.

I can't recommend the KEF T301c or T301 for that matter.

----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Attachments

• KEF T301C.zip
    61 KB · Views: 91
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
How old is this speaker? seems like a REALLY missed opportunity from KEF not to have a coaxial driver in this.
I don't think they have any coaxial drivers this shallow.

Monk_minor

Wow, at least some of these other center channels look like they might be good when used vertically. This just looks rough.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This speaker is <1.5” thick in a plastic enclosure, so it measures how I assumed it would.

This seems like a last resort type speaker.
I‘m sure many owners of these would have chosen to mount a pair of Q150/Q350 or do in-wall if they had the choice. And at least you can do triple of these for your front speakers and get some stereo separation with these compared to a soundbar.

Madjalapeno

Forum Donor
A compact speaker like this is a dream as far as usability below a TV on the wall which is the type of imagery company uses to promote it. My measurements and listening tests did NOT follow that as I tested it like any stand alone speaker.
How much difference would that make? Would it be worth doing a listening test with it attached to a wall?

radix

Major Contributor
I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make, but they are designed to have a big wall behind them.

KEF rates them as "80Hz - 30kHz" frequency response, which seems wildly inaccurate based on these measurements.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Possibly, kef should have used a bunch of bmr drivers. This one is just sad
They are using a flat diaphram speaker.

The KEF uses 4.5” drivers, the 3” Tectonic BMR is the same depth of the KEF enclosure, so it is some pretty notable engineers to get a 4.5” driver this small.
t-woofer.jpg

Instead of a cone, the radical new twin-layer bass and midrange unit has a flat diaphragm whose rigidity throughout the frequency range is maintained by very fine stiffening ribs, with the driver as a whole acting as a stressed member to help eliminate any unwanted resonance from the slim cabinet.

radix

Major Contributor
@amirm the first chart says "Polk T301c" not KEF.

SDX-LV

Thank you for testing this KEF T301! I have/had an idea to use a pair or 4x of KEF T101 as "Atmos" height speakers on the ceiling. With these measurements I would not do it.
The next hope is: Harman Kardon SAT-TS60 or Harman Kardon SAT-TS30. Are there any other thin speakers for the ceiling? Revel had a model, but that too is dicontinued.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Horrible performance for this price.

tktran303

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thank you for your review Amir, and the measurements. It is very instructive for people who are able to interpret the measurements, their strengths and limitations.

However, I wonder if a better way would be to measure it in its designed use case. If this is a speaker designed for under bench mounting, under a TV, or wall mounting below or above a TV, is it possible to measure and review it as such?

The measurements may be better, or even worse, and sound better or sound worse, than as measured as you have done as a stand alone speaker, (4pi; no reflections/boundary interactions included)

I do agree that measuring it placed on a TV bench makes it an outlier and cannot be compared to the other speakers in your wonderful library of speaker measurements, and this the disadvantage or downside of testing it like this. Also, I understand that there is no defined criteria how how big or wide or depth the bench is, and how position of the the speaker to the boundary; either below it or behind it.

Making a speaker thin is highly likely a design compromise for wall mounting, and the kick stand indicates that shelf mounting was what the engineers also considered as a use-case.

But if the review is to be helpful for people making a informed purchase decision for, or against this speaker, ie- all shallow speaker for use with a TV, it is very helpful in its own right.

I don’t not expect you to change your mind, and I understand reasons for your testing using a standard protocol, eg. Lack of time, many other devices in the backlog to test; lack of standard criteria for testing these “lifestyle” type devices.

But then you have a real opportunity to advance the state of science because as far as I know, even Harman haven’t published how lifestyle speakers should be measured. As I’m sure you know, by the time some science has made it to be published into a book; many parts of it may already out of date.

To be clear, Harman and the spinorama are good for speakers designed for playing in small rooms, typically stand mount or floor-standers; which is what the research data came from. You know, what was being made and being sold in the 1950-2000. Bravo for CTA2034, finally, and we are thankful Information and understanding that the lifetime of research that Floyd and Sean and others have offered the community.

But these types of speakers- thin or small bench or wall mounted speaker is seen in virtually every big box store nowadays, and what many general consumers (non audio enthusiasts probably outnumber us by a factor of 10:1, is my conservator estimate) are buying these days.

It really is an untapped market / audience. People would love to know all these “lifestyle” speakers compare to each other. Particularly the Youtube or general consumer audience, would love to know how these types of speakers compare to each other, under or over the TV, or on the wall.

The CRT TVs are not coming back, and neither are the 50-200L passive 3 and 4 way speakers that weigh 50-200lbs, that some of us loved. (Or still love)

Thank you furthering the science of audio. And thanks for taking the time to read this, and your reflection and kind consideration, Amir.

Best regards,
Thanh

Last edited:
Top Bottom