Recent content by Zinda

1. Z

Chinese Hi-Fi products mainly speakers.

My woofers were crossed @ 800Hz and the electrostatic panels had a natural roll off at around 660Hz I overlapped them from 680-800Hz. The woofers I used were 12" infinity Kappa 7s and Monitor Audio 10" both tested nearly flat up to 3kHz. @ 3kHz they had a huge spike then nothing after that. I...
  2. Z

Chinese Hi-Fi products mainly speakers.

I have to disagree, for obvious reasons, I myself have found a 2-way to be the best design and best overall sound balance. But like everything this is only possible when the correct drivers are used and how they are used. I don't agree with many "rules" for designing speakers since there are no...
  3. Z

ATC speakers / Monitors

Like DSP? They're top of my snake oil list.
  4. Z

Better port design?

My list of things has become quite a chore since last week I had a fire at my home, it melted everything, covered it in black soot and then the firemen came through soaked it all in water, knocked out the ceiling and tore out all insulation then covered it all with another generous supply of...
  5. Z

Better port design?

I'm playing retired by refusing to work for anyone have 2 more years before I can call it official!
  6. Z

Better port design?

I wonder how much amplifier damping has on ports? First thing I thought when Harbeths entered the discussion was the fact that the amps powering them would most likely be of a higher quality just based on experience of owners. Once you enter into the Polk range of speakers, there could be a...
  7. Z

Better port design?

TY! I knew I was probably incorrect since it was told to me by name and I probably only saw it printed a few times. I was an air balance apprentice for 1 year before I went back to sheet metal which I already had 2 years under my belt and there was much more work available. It was nice to see...
  8. Z

Yet another one post about amplifiers matching KEF LS50

Has anything been done yet? I hate reading posts that just end without any conclusion or telling if anything was even tested. Im glad it was less than the usual 10 pages before finding it was dropped. My own testing has shown me that most suggestions that include a mini DSP are not the ones you...
  9. Z

Better port design?

I did Air Balancing on AC units in big buildings, we used specialized equipment to get readings of air flow through various sized and shaped ductwork. Of course each size and shape move air in a different pattern. We had to take several measurements in round pipe using a peto-tube (Im not sure...
  10. Z

Master Thread: Are measurements Everything or Nothing?

Posting any tests would be redundant. Setting up my system is as easy as leaving everything flat since I made my speakers to reproduce a very close to flat output as possible. It did take me a few years of testing to accomplish this but in the long run I have found no more use to do any testing...
  11. Z

EQ room correction, needfor chest thumping bass

I agree, before you can expect to feel the sound, the recording has to have that included with it. My speakers can put out some room jarring sound. I once unplugged a ¼" plug while the volume was at normal listening levels and the resulting pop scared me but not the noise it made but rather by...
  12. Z

Master Thread: Are measurements Everything or Nothing?

Ever think that the actual measurements could be flawed from the get go? Just because there's a program written for testing it doesn't mean that it's going to provide accurate measurements in every single test. If all tests were done "the old fashioned" way (analog) I wouldn't ever question any...
  13. Z

dbx 1231 Graphic EQ Review

Alesis as some others make a dual 30 band eq, it uses the exact same bands as a 31 band but removed the lowest 20Hz band. So technically it's doing the same job. I own one of all these I mentioned and it seems like you don't believe me when I say it needs to be held down to move the sliders...
  14. Z

I have used a few EQs that are considerably less money and we're of comparable quality, the alesis 30 band comes to mind, priced under $80! Although it's cheaper it comes with its own used issues, like DBX having a weak center detent, it's the opposite, such a strong detent that moving them from...
  15. Z

I've tried my share of EQs in my time and I have tried a few DBX EQs and crossovers, one similar to this in 2 versions. I found them to be better sounding with less noise than any cheap home stereo EQs without any compare. But they feel cheap when using and the sliders themself are so cheaply...
Top Bottom