Recent content by YouCanCallMeGeorge

1. YouCanCallMeGeorge

Hypex NC252 failed (twice) -- suggestions for replacement?

Yes, it may be that one or more pins is not firmly crimped to the wire, or a pin is not properly locked into the connector. At the moment the sound is wonderful. If the problem surfaces again, I'll have to look at the connections.
  2. YouCanCallMeGeorge

Working with industrial machinery, I've seen plenty of ribbon cable connectors with retaining clips to hold the plug in place. Or at least I did back in the day. These days most multi-conductor signal wires have been replaced by high-speed serial links of one stripe or another, with threaded...
  3. YouCanCallMeGeorge

Updates: 1: The warmth while idling overnight was due to the loose connector that feeds the pre-amp signal into the Hypex. While the connector is loose and making intermittent contact (indicated by "static" in one speaker), the noisy input signal results in a warm output section. 2: To avoid...
  4. YouCanCallMeGeorge

There are many subjects that are said to be "uncontroversial" and "accepted science", but have considerably less acceptance and science than advertised. Please don't bring the subject up in my posts. There is no reason for it, and I don't come here to be lectured on it. Thank you.
  5. YouCanCallMeGeorge

One of the beauties of a free country is that we do not have to justify ourselves to others in matters not governed by law.
  6. YouCanCallMeGeorge

We can certainly disagree on a controversial subject. The controversy is the reason not to bring it up when not called for.
  7. YouCanCallMeGeorge

As the author of the OP, it seems to me that the possibility of an amplifier overheating should not be taken as an opportunity to advance a personal off-topic agenda. Moreover, how another forum member chooses to spend his (or her) money is no concern of yours. As to saving the planet, I am...
  8. YouCanCallMeGeorge

You might also think about fixing the J4 plug to the header. Rick Sykora mentions glue or butyl rubber (#10 above). There is an obvious audible effect of a poor connection at J4 (#9 above). I wonder whether a poor connection at J4 might also contribute to the mild heat buildup—though I have not...
  9. YouCanCallMeGeorge

Final update: This evening the lovely Head of the Hot Glue Application Department put a couple of beads of glue on the input signal connector (J4). This will keep the plug from slipping off the header pins. I enlarged 30 of the existing tiny holes in the top of the Ghent case to 1/4 inch...
  10. YouCanCallMeGeorge

Update: The loose connector is for the signal inputs from the XLR connectors, not the outputs to the speakers. This may explain both the intermittent loss of power to the left channel and the fuzzy static heard from the speakers, given that the cable plug has a propensity to slide away from the...
  11. YouCanCallMeGeorge

Today I took the amplifier out of the case to have a look. As I slid the amp out, the plug that supplies power to the speakers was hanging loose. (There is no retaining clip or prong on the plug; friction between pins and sockets is all that holds the plug in place.) The connector must have...
  12. YouCanCallMeGeorge

Thanks for the info. These reports make me leery of trying again with the NC252MP. On the other hand, there doesn't seem to be widespread failure of these units. Perhaps marginally poor ventilation in the small Ghent case pushes the temperature of the output devices up just enough to cause problems.
  13. YouCanCallMeGeorge

It's worth 20 bucks to find out what can be learned from a post mortem. If it turns out the the amp can be fixed, I would put it in a larger, better ventilated case and see how it holds up. If it can't be fixed, I may learn something that helps me decide whether it's worth giving the Hypex...
  14. YouCanCallMeGeorge

I've gone through two Hypex NC252 amplifiers in two years. The first unit failed after 10 months, and was replaced under warranty. The second failed after 12 months; it's now out of warranty. The failure mode was the same for both units: The left channel dropped to five or ten percent power...
  15. YouCanCallMeGeorge

Hypex NC252MP Overheating?

Update: @Buckeye Amps sent a replacement amplifier module within 24 hours of my request. Excellent service.
Top Bottom