Recent content by YoniV

1. Y

Suggestion: more audio interface measurements

I agree, there are plenty other brands and models not tested (Native Instruments, M Audio, Steinberg...), and many of those that were tested are of outdated versions (MK 1 vs MK 2), which warrant measurements in the same way that e.g. new SMSL models get renewed attention. Of course Amir is in...
  2. Y

Suggestion: more audio interface measurements

I've been following this website for a long time, and it is my humble and personal opinion that we kind of reached a saturation in terms of DAC and HP amp measurements. I think that for quite some time now, ever since say the Topping D50s, we reached a point where anyone that can spend about...
  3. Y

Balanced preamp to unbalanced poweramp - any risks?

I have a guitar multi-effects and amp modeler (Quad Cortex), which I use with my studio monitors (i.e. guitar -> QC -> powered studio monitors) However, I wanted to try to play in my living room, which means using my "hifi" speakers. The output of the QC is balanced (with a preamp), the power...
  4. Y

AutoEQ Magic?

What should I do if I want to generate EQ filters for the actual Harman target using your tool? In principle, that should more or less reproduce Oratory's results, right?
  5. Y

Headphone Measurements Using Brüel & Kjær 5128 HATS

Perhaps a noob question, but why is a head simulator such as this (compared e.g. to solduerdude's setup) even necessary? Isn't it possible to simply use this or EARS or whatever to measure a speaker with flat response as measured by an omni mic and normalize the response to it? I understand...
  6. Y

EQ on Linux: problems with Pulse Effects

Thank you both for the suggestions. What does it mean to run bare ALSA? Also, how do I prevent conflict between jack and pulseaudio? I tried setting up jack but it appears to be not such a trivial task...
  7. Y

EQ on Linux: problems with Pulse Effects

I have a problem with Pulse Effects: it seems that it produces incorrect eq, at least on my system. The full details are below. The short version: 1. I used REW to EQ my monitors, but the speakers sound different on Solus Budgie w/ PE compared to Win 10 w/ Equalizer APO (same PC, dual boot)...
  8. Y

Help with a 2.1 setup configuration

An interesting point, although I'm not sure I do have room for two, as the intended room is not that big and already hosts some musical instruments including 2 guitar amps competing for real estate. I also didn't read enough into the huge discussion I know exists for the comparison of two subs...
  9. Y

Ah, makes sense, thanks for the explanation! In comparison to the rest of the 3 series from JBL, I didn't hear many great reviews about the 310s, although it is on my list to audtion for quite some time. Once things clear a little with the coronavirus, I will try it out. I guess that without a...
  10. Y

What do you mean by proper crossover? Or, what is active crossover, as adw mentioned? The L12 has a crossover setting; do you mean a dedicated crossover device/feature in a receiver?
  11. Y

Currently, on the 305's only, it has plenty of headroom: with the 305's gain set to ~5/10, I only make about a third of a turn on the Atom to reach satisfying volume (d50s maxed). Hope that's going to be enough!
  12. Y

Of course, this is what I am already doing. Thanks for the answer, Y connector was what I thought I needed to do, but wasn't sure if I should expect problems that I haven't thought of, having never owned a sub (e.g. impdance issues etc).
  13. Y

I'm still a bit confused regarding my original question: how am I to connect the system? The Atom is a preamp (+ HP amp), not a power amp. Both the LSR305 and the L12 are active. However, I have only two RCA outs, but the above 2.1 would require 2x(L+R) ins. So - is the way to do it is with a...
  14. Y

Thanks for your reply! The Atom indeed controls both headphone and RCA outs. What do you mean by active crossover? And does splitting the preamp out amounts to a simple Y connector? In that case, will the volume knob of the Atom increase the volume of the speakers and the subwoofer by different...
  15. Y

I currently use a pair of JBL LSR305 conneceted to a d50s+Atom on my working desk. I'd like to add a subwoofer, and was considering the (recently reviewed) Rythmik L12. Two questions: 1. Would it be a suitable choice for a roughly 3 x 3.5 m^2 (10 x 11.5 ft^2) room? 2. What is the proper way to...
Top Bottom