Recent content by xykreinov

1. xykreinov

No nonsense portable DAP

I'm looking for a simple DAP with just three priorities in mind: - Battery life - Good UI (preferably has a physical volume knob instead of buttons) - Compatibility with external DACs That's about it. I don't care about sound quality, as I'd be hooking it up with a Qudelix 5k, anyway.
  2. xykreinov

$9 Headphone Review: Sony MDR-ZX110

Oh, and for the ZX110, you should try plunging Amir's measurement data into AEQ or use my settings. I remember first thinking female vocals sounded wonky as well when I used the RAA filters on AEQ's results page. The filters for the ZX110 on the AEQ results page used measurements from Reference...
  3. xykreinov

Female vocals and other treble issues were among my problems with how uploaded AutoEQ filters made my Beyer DT770s sound as well. However, I think that's just cause they're old cans with missing tuning pads. What do you use for fine tuning? Have you tried using AEQ to make your own filters...
  4. xykreinov

Along with those good references, there's AutoEQ's extensive results and PEQ settings: https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results Most of the time, I like the sound of AutoEQ and oratory1990's PEQ settings better than Amir's. However, it's not really a fair comparison, since...
  5. xykreinov

MiniDSP IL-DSP Headphone amplifier

Would you still say this is the best portable option in regards to hardware PEQ?
  6. xykreinov

Dan Clark Stealth Review (State of the Art Headphone)

If Dan makes an open-back variant of the Stealth, I would get it and the closed-back, then not have to think about my desk headphone setup ever again.
  7. xykreinov

ANIME.. Anyone?

Yeah, it's definitely not I actually think the ending was unusually well done with Death Note. Everyone says I'm just being contrarian, but I truly think it was. Won't get into it though. I haven't read the manga, but I'm sure you're right. Still, I like the premise and message too much. The...
  8. xykreinov

ANIME.. Anyone?

I'm not a fan of how genrefied, as a term, anime has become. Few seem to think of them as just cartoons made in Japan. Though, I think it's somewhat perpetuated by the industry to convince weebs they like all sorts of anime, differing greatly both in genre and quality, just because they're...
  9. xykreinov

JBL SRX835P Reviewed (Powered Monitor)

Pffft. That puny thing? Amir needs a 5732 5742* :p
  10. xykreinov

Nice. I think the fiddliness of it all is the secret reason most EQ detractors have for their stance. I think they want to feel pride in saying they have more willingness or experience tinkering around with DSP than they actually have. It's a shame, cause it's a one and done thing that's only as...
  11. xykreinov

Unfortunately, it seems this issue sometimes detracts people from using EQ itself. "If EQ doesn't work well enough to make headphones sound the same, why use it at all?" seems to be the mantra. Really, the main lesson is that making headphones of various sizes and types sound ideal in every...
  12. xykreinov

So much talk, so little experimentation. PEQ skeptics, I highly recommend you download AutoEQ: https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq The page outlines all the DSP program options as well. If you have an Android device, there's a lovely app called DDC Toolbox that cooperates well with AutoEQ...
  13. xykreinov

Ah, the analog "purity" idea. If you delve deeper here, I think you'll come to see that it's simply impossible for designers to make a speaker or headphone follow the exact curve they want, solely analog. They can get very close, but there will always be physical limitations only DSP can solve...
  14. xykreinov

Maybe my ears are junk, but the distortion subjectively isn't that bad. I'm sure measurements would tell a different story, but bass separation between things like metal bass drums and fast cello melodies is decent. Certainly better than my muddy earbuds, maybe better than my Status CB-1. I...
  15. xykreinov

It's pretty epic what this forum is capable of doing For the ZX110, I highly recommend people try out these PEQ settings Preamp: -20.5 dB Filter 1: ON PK Fc 23 Hz Gain 20.9 dB Q 0.47 Filter 2: ON PK Fc 164 Hz Gain -2.7 dB Q 0.91 Filter 3: ON PK Fc 336 Hz Gain 5.0 dB Q 1.16 Filter 4: ON PK Fc 384...
Top Bottom