Recent content by xpop

1. xpop

LM3886 Class AB "gainclone" chip-amps - DIY , kit and assembled since 1999...

As I may know for the Neumann KH120, these loudspeakers are built around the LM3886. There's absolutely no hiss even a few centimeters away. These are proximity loudspeakers (listening distance between 20 and 50cm (8" to 20"))
  2. xpop

AIYIMA A07 TPA3255 Review (Amplifier)

Hello, the TPA3255 accepts a power stage supply (max) 53.5V. Mine is fine, running @53V with a 19A power supply (perhaps a little hot)
  3. xpop

Topping LA90 Review (Integrated Amplifier)

Hello Bugless, that mean the AC adaptor is 2x32v and it should be mentioned (like Yamaha does for mixing desks). Even with the use of a LM3886 (have a look at the thread "Topping LA90 evaluation and discussion (Integrated Amplifier)")
  4. xpop

That mean a symmetrical power supply, and we see a 64V DC adaptor. Or it's 2x32V ? If it is 64V there is two big capacitors in the speaker line output and no way to bridge the output !
  5. xpop

42 pages and 824 comments, and we still don't know the amplification chips used ! Guessing a TPA3255 with this alim with such a high voltage ?
  6. xpop

Mcintosh XR50 speaker review (by Erins Audio Corner)

Please have a look to the harmonic distortion. Can you compare with this strange range ?
  7. xpop

If all headgear transducers were to be tuned the same, would it actually hurt the userbase?

Hello @nyxnyxnyx, as usual for any transducer what matters to all of us is the lowest possible distortion level. We all know that the frequency response for many headphones is always deep in the midrange, which is fine for most of us, but what really makes the difference is the fidelity of the...
  8. xpop

Amplifier Power Supply

All an amplifier wants is a constant current source. Look at the schematics of the best amplifiers in the world such as the Hexorcist, all based on JFETs. It is composed of a well-filtered power supply (as you mention) but then a current regulation that requires very little filtering (just like...
  9. xpop

Amp shopping thoughts

Hello @rwortman, you should describe the room in which you listen to your music because it seems that you have more of a speaker problem than an electronics problem. Your level of expertise in terms of audio sources seems very accomplished but I can't stop thinking that your speakers have...
  10. xpop

AIYIMA A07 Volume potentiometer replacement Logarithmic

Excellent initiative, today it seems that the logs curves for the volume adjustment are forgotten whereas it is a true necessity to correspond to the curve of sensitivity of the ear. Is it due to the very common use of digital encoders instead of carbon tracks? certainly!
  11. xpop

How to modify a plate amp to lower the subsonic filter frequency

Excellent remark, you are totally right but the shaker that Nootmuskaatje has does not go below 10Hz.
  12. xpop

How Do I Know, If I Don't Know?

Sorry to intervene but Rotel (very old brand) started to manufacture amplifiers based on 2N3055 (which however had very decent characteristics). At that time this type of transistor was used in battery chargers, that says a lot about the compromises that this brand can make.
  13. xpop

How to modify a plate amp to lower the subsonic filter frequency

You will never get an answer. But I wonder: have you ever heard a sound at 20Hz? I don't think so, because you wouldn't have to ask yourself that question. 20Hz is already very very low, it makes your stomach churn deeply.
  14. xpop

Will you stop using Spotify now? Vote

Spotify is not a service for audiophiles, period. It's time to try real quality-oriented services like Qobuz or even Apple.
  15. xpop

How Do I Know, If I Don't Know?

The first thing to do is a tonal audiogram of your ear. Then take a big enough speaker (Heresy second hand for example) with a class D amp and a DAC well classified on this site (Topping or Smsl). Then go and listen to concerts (with ear protection) to get an idea, only after that start...
Top Bottom