Recent content by Wombat

1. Wombat

New York's Other Music record store documentary:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/nov/26/people-in-their-40s-were-crying-the-sad-final-days-of-new-yorks-coolest-record-store-other-music
  2. Wombat

Why do passive speakers still exist?

I like my passive loudspeakers. I am a passive listener. Having built speakers I am completely happy with, I no longer listen for faults. No need to 'upgrade'. Just enjoy the music.
  3. Wombat

How to estimate flared port's effective radiating surface

The main characteristic of ports is volume of port relative to enclosure volume(Hemholtz). Length to cross section is important. End shape/termination configuration is employed to reduce air-to-air discontinuities which produce distortion. There is some interaction. Flared radiating surface area...
  4. Wombat

Supra Lorad 3x2.5 SPC - Why cut the drain-wire at one end

It breaks the BS screen loop??? :facepalm: If connected at both ends the screen may fuse under fault current if its rating is much less than the earth/ground conductor - which is most likely. Hard to be definite without impedance specs. Electric kettle/jug power leads rule. :)
  5. Wombat

How to estimate flared port's effective radiating surface

FWIW: Calculator Search the WWW for Flared Port Calculator or Flared Port for more. Technical: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/253704551_Vortex_sound_in_bass-reflex_ports_of_loudspeakers_Part_I_Observation_of_response_to_harmonic_excitation_and_remedial_measures
  6. Wombat

Neumann KH 310A Review (Powered Monitor)

Maybe that is why my JBL LSR 305P MKIIs do not hiss. Guys on this forum won't believe me.
  7. Wombat

The Zipf Mystery

The Aussie version is:
  8. Wombat

The Zipf Mystery

Certainly not similar to el Presidente. ;)
  9. Wombat

The Zipf Mystery

I understand that those with different backgrounds may find English to be a structural mine-field. English keeps evolving. I can't imagine the use of definite and indefinite articles being dropped and I can't see allocating gender to objects being adopted, though. Unlike the French, English...
  10. Wombat

The Zipf Mystery

So Amir is not the man re ASR?
  11. Wombat

MQA Sounds Really Good!

You forgot about Nukes and Apocalypse. :facepalm:
  12. Wombat

The Zipf Mystery

Anonymity?
  13. Wombat

Never downloaded music - where to go?

I buy CDs. I check the used/old ones against Discogs listings for issue date, mastering and other details.. I have generally found the item condition description on Ebay to be fair or conservative.
  14. Wombat

MQA Sounds Really Good!

I now understand the avatar. I couldn't believe it was due to benchwork. o_O Digital spinner, here, too. :)
Top Bottom