Recent content by wjp007

1. W

Douk VU3 VU Meter Review (Updated Version)

You can run the VU meter in parallel with your speakers (don't use it as a speaker switch, just use it as a VU meter) That's what I do and I can't tell any difference in performance.
  2. W

Topping 8-Channel Preamp: New Product Request

Agreed. This is exactly the same issue I ran into. One of the issues with Dirac is it does put significant attenuation into the system. I'm sure I could have solved it with a Power AMP that has some input gain control like Parasound, but that just was way beyond my budget.
  3. W

Audiophiles, generally don't like class D amps!

But PCM can be easily converted to PWM in the digital domain. That's my point, why go through an analog conversion?
  4. W

Audiophiles, generally don't like class D amps!

One thing I have wondered is why there aren't more direct digital class D amps. After all PWM is a form of digital. Why take a signal, convert it to analog and then back to PWM. My main beef on some of the highly touted class D power amps tested here is the lower gain they have in order to...
  5. W

Sound insulation and acoustic panels from rock wool or fiberglass wool?

I put in 4 12"x48" rockwool panels in my 15'x14' room. My room is carpeted and I have a fairly large cloth sofa in their. I put one panel behind each speaker and two on the opposite walls. I can't put them on the side walls for first reflection control as I have furniture and doors that...
  6. W

Best MQA Desktop DAC - preferably ~$500 though up to $1K

I second that comment. I just sold my e50 since I switched to using Dirac Live Bass Control on my PC which requires a multi-channel dac or AVR. I never thought a DAC could make that much difference, but this was clearly an upgrade of my AVR. For the price, it's hard to beat.
  7. W

Topping DM7 8-Channel DAC Review

That was my quest and it failed horribly. If someone does figure this out please post here. I wasn’t satisfied with mixing down the center channel. I was using the voicemeeter 8x8 matrix app. Just didnt sound as good as my AVR.
  8. W

I tried several different forms of cables and got a hum. Tried all kinds of different things. The only thing that worked was an active balanced to unbalanced converter, but I just didn't like the sound.
  9. W

The Topping DM7 only has balanced outputs. Not my choice, but just how it was made. Unfortunately, my listening room is also my office. I would have to put the center speaker right where I sit on my deck which would be a pain to move when I'm working. Even with a center channel the DM7...
  10. W

Yes or a six channel dac with at least one channel having an unbalanced output for a sub. That would be my ideal product. For movies, IMHO an AVR is really going to be the best solution. My quest was for a multichannel music system using only a DAC and power AMPs. Unfortunately the lack of...
  11. W

Topping DM7 Multichannel DAC

Selling Topping DM7 Multichannel DAC. Supports 8 channels. I was hoping to replace my AVR with a DAC+Power AMP setup, but there are just too many complexities in my system to get this to work for multichannel music. I didn't have good pairs of matching amps for front and rear, no center...
  12. W

That's basically what I tried but I had a hum in the subwoofer that I couldn't get rid of. I think it really depends on your setup.
  13. W

Peachtree amp500 Amplifier Review

Can’t a class D amp introduce phase shifts resulting from the output filter? I use Dirac on a PC for room correction and bass management. I can save different filters for different system configs. My AVR was used only as a DAC/Preamp/Amp with everything else shut off. For the Icepower...
  14. W

Peachtree amp500 Amplifier Review

What was your experience on imaging? There are some other reviews showing very high phase shift at higher frequencies. I just built an 1200AS2 amp and disappointed in the imaging. The sound is cleaner and the base is clearly tighter than what I had before (Denon x3700h), but the imaging seems...
Top Bottom