Recent content by WestSideWarrior

1. W

McIntosh MI254 Power Amplifier Teardown

Unfortunately, the unit is in the cabinet so I won't be able to listen directly from on top of the case. Listening from about 5cm from the front panel, there were no coil noise regardless of its power on/off state. Although I do understand what you mean, since I have a Crown XLS1502 for sub...
  2. W

Unfortunately, there is no gain adjustment knob on the unit. The buzz (as in, hiss? white noise?) in the tweeters will likely depend on the sensitivity of your speakers. I did notice some very faint hiss when using the Klipsch speakers, but there were none on the Elac. The unit's power supply...
  3. W

The "MI" range is targeted for home theater, distributed multi-zone audio or (probably?) bi-amp stereo use. The module looks like stock NC500s, but other components are McIntosh custom designed (plus the glass front panel and blue meters), so there's McIntosh tax on top of that.
  4. W

Sony TA-AN1000 AVR with Klipsch 5.1 setup

Considering that the Klipsch has relatively high sensitivity at 94.5dB (as per spec sheet), the AN1000 might be suffice for smaller space. Just don't expect theater levels of performance though. Also, the AN1000 actual power rating is all over the place. If you can stretch your budget slightly...
  5. W

Whoops. Here comes the Big Mac.
  6. W

Crown Xti4002 Pro Stereo Amplifier Review

Surprising how the more affordable Crown XLS appears to have slightly better SINAD compared to the XTi. But with that reactive load test and a wide-voltage power supply, it's pretty much bulletproof to any tough scenarios out there. And with the ante upped, would it be possible to see maybe the...
  7. W

McIntosh Class D

A bit overdue, but here goes. hifi-news did mention about this on their Lab Report section though.
  8. W

McIntosh MHT300 AV Receiver

Most likely, since the Circuit Design is listed as "Digital" as opposed to "Solid State".
  9. W

Topping PA7 Plus Amplifier Review

While it doesn't top the LA90 Discrete, the substantial increase in power rating and affordability is very enticing. The volume bypass switch is also a welcome addition.
  10. W

Full specs are finally out.
  11. W

I assume you got the 7900XT/XTX? AFAIK, no GeForce cards come with DP 2.0 yet.
  12. W

If Hi-Fi / home theater manufacturers actually cared about gamers, DisplayPort should definitely be on their priority list as well. AVR of the yesteryears actually had VGA D-Sub or DVI for PC compatibility, but those connections had long been deprecated in the modern format world and was...
  13. W

New Sony ES 8K AV Receiver Line STR-AZ7000ES STR-AZ5000ES STR-AZ3000ES STR-AZ1000ES

Yeah, Sony haven't produced AV separates for two decades now. They used to have the flagship tier with the N77ES poweramp (with VU meters!) back in the late 1980s. The E9000ES prepro + N9000ES poweramp in the late 1990s, and the mega receiver DA9000ES in the early noughts. I think the new...
  14. W

New Sony ES 8K AV Receiver Line STR-AZ7000ES STR-AZ5000ES STR-AZ3000ES STR-AZ1000ES

Features and performance aside, Sony's probably got the best looking configuration user interface against other AVRs out there.
  15. W

- McIntosh did produced AV receivers (MHT100, MHT200) back in the early noughts. I guess this is their return to this product segment after nearly two decades of absence. - Definitely would love to see bench tests from ASR or reputable publications as well. Sound & Vision used to bench test...
Top Bottom