Recent content by vertical_mammal

1. vertical_mammal

Talk to me about bandwidth

For sure. I'm super-stoked, and have started to order gear. I have to spread it out over several checks, but that's actually kind of a benefit here. My plan lets me leave the MiniDSP until last, since my amp has a sub out of its own. So I can get to know the full system. Then I can put the...
  2. vertical_mammal

Need to replace my TEAC AI101DA (desktop setup)

Thanks! That is a nice-looking unit but not quite what I want, no headphone options is a deal-breaker for me. I've decided to go separates. As of now the planned endgame is PC > SMSL M500 > XLR to THX 789 for headphones. Then PC > SMSL M500 > RCA to MiniDSP 2x4HD for correction and crossover > 2...
  3. vertical_mammal

Thanks again! For a variety of reasons I have decided to still go with a DAC, including foregoing the inconveniences you mentioned. Really the biggest part of it for me is a master volume control. The DAC I've chosen will serve as a preamp, which is useful to me because if I go straight from the...
  4. vertical_mammal

Yeah, headphones need to come into the mix somewhere. I don't have balanced headphones but may eventually, and am considering the THX 789 headphone amp since I have some Drop credit. Right now I have Sennheiser HD 380 Pros, with the THX Pandas on order, and a mind to get some open-backed cans...
  5. vertical_mammal

Awesome, thanks! Really helpful. I'm hearing the main point as DSP is worth it. For specific implementation, I'm definitely off the idea of the Crown stuff. I think I will end up with an SMSL amp, either the DA-8s or the SA300. I was considering using an SMSL M500 DAC which would let me send...
  6. vertical_mammal

Need to replace my TEAC AI101DA (desktop setup)

Hello! After three years of daily use the TEAC AI101-DA DAC/amp in my desktop setup is dying. Looking online the 101 is no longer available but I can buy a TEAC AI-301DA for $500. I'm not sure I want to do that though, I think I can get much better for the money. I'd like to stick around/under...
  7. vertical_mammal

Hello! My TEAC AI101-DA is dying so I need to replace it in my desktop computer setup. It handles everything for me - USB DAC, headphone amp, and speaker amp. I posted a separate thread for specific component recommendations, but during my research I had a question that I can't seem to find a...
Top Bottom