Recent content by venessian

1. V

SONUS FABER BOOKSHELF SPEAKER ADVICE: Lumina II; Sonetto I; Sonetto II; Venere 1.5

I dislike researching and finding threads that the OP never concluded with a decision, so here is my last post on this: Short story: Sonus faber Sonetto I for various reasons. ********************************************************* Sorry for the delayed reply, but the final decision only...
  2. V

SONUS FABER BOOKSHELF SPEAKER ADVICE: Lumina II; Sonetto I; Sonetto II; Venere 1.5

Thanks. Unfortunately I have not bought anything yet, or even shopped more recently, and likely will not for a while as I had/have some health expenses now, and so need to save money for speakers all over again. I have read great reviews of the Concerto/Concertino. Were Sonus faber speakers...
  3. V

Thanks. I looked on the Revel website and there is a dealer fairly close to me, so I could go there. But it seems much more a HT chain than stereo from the website. The other issue is that store is completely different from the other stores I have visited, and will be a completely different...
  4. V

Don't plugs only apply to rear-ported speakers, especially if positioned close to walls? The Vandersteen VLR are sealed, as are Spendor A-1/etc, and the Sonus faber Lumina and Sonetto are front-ported, both of which typologies seem OK for my situation.
  5. V

No I have not. I do not think there are models easily auditioned here, and I am also becoming exhausted driving around and trying different brands. From all I have read of Revel, including comparisons with Sf, I would not really like Revel much. JBL, I have no idea. But I cannot continue going...
  6. V

Thanks. Now I understand your experiences and impressions better. Of the speakers you mention the Ascend Sierra have intrigued me for years. I often go back to that website, but I have never heard them, feel I do not like ribbon tweeters, and am reluctant to jump on the direct-sale train with a...
  7. V

"Awful" seems a bit harsh. It seems you really dislike the VLR Wood, because I'm pretty sure I have read almost the same response from you regarding them in other threads, when I was searching. Have you actually heard them? Compared A/B to which other speakers? Against wall/on-bookshelf is...
  8. V

Yes, I did listen to the LS50. I did not like them so much, far preferred the KEF R3. But after a month more research, I decided to cut the R3 off the list, given my purposes etc. So the two contenders (I have heard both in shops 2 or 3 times) are Sf Lumina II, Sf Sonetto I, and Vandersteen VLR...
  9. V

Thanks. That seems in line with my own assessment having read all I can on the Venere 1.5: that they are not for me, compared to Lumina II (which are $300 less and new) or Sonetto I (which are $300 more and new).
  10. V

I agree with "thewas". I would guess that the NFA (Net Free Area percentage, as in HVAC systems, etc.) is higher (more porous) than on a typical metal mesh or foam/fabric grille, and that in addition the round shape of the "strings" is more conducive to transparency than the flat, more...
  11. V

Do you think the Venere 1.5 are more suited to that kind of application, rather than CD/tuner through a stereo receiver in a living room?
  12. V

I do not know much, but this seems a bit reductionist regarding Sf versus many other brands, no? Sf certainly seem to have a definite reputation for their sound as well as the aesthetic design (I am a neophyte for sure, but when one can research a brand and quickly find it described as...
  13. V

You are referring to the Venere 1.5 in both sentences, correct? I have read that rear-ported is not as desirable as front-ported, in my situation. I worry a bit because opinions on the Venere seem to range so far and wide, much more positive/negative than many other Sonus faber speakers. I am...
Top Bottom