Recent content by Vear

1. V

Kenwood L-05M Vintage Amplifier Review

I assume you're referring to the two in post #121. What's your opinion on the two in post #119?
  2. V

How about these two? Just trying to understand the significance of the differences (especially from 1kHz-20kHz).
  3. V

Can someone tell me how these compare? What are we seeing here? Which one has overall technically better performance?
  4. V

Vintage amplifiers that could challenge or approach current state of the art amplifiers

Well, it took me a while to send one in for testing but better late than never. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/kenwood-l-05m-vintage-amplifier-review.43409/
  5. V

I had the amp featured in this review partially restored by Precision Audio Restorations. I keep these as spare amps and it was at my request that Leo at Precision did not replace the large filter capacitors. I can say that driven by my Benchmark DAC2HGC the L05Ms are as silent as the AHB2 (ear...
  6. V

Vintage amplifiers that could challenge or approach current state of the art amplifiers

I offered these up to Amir for testing a few weeks ago via PM. I haven't heard back from him so I'm waiting to see if there is any interest.
  7. V

Kenwood L-08M Monoblock Amplifier (Vintage Review)

Nice to see you used the Sanken 2SA1186 & 2SC2837 I recommended to you in the other forum a while back. Those are exactly the same ones I had chosen to put in my L-05M. For comparison, I believe my restored L05M benched at ~120W @8Ω & ~185W @4Ω (spec's rated them at 100W @8Ω & 150W @4Ω).
  8. V

Plus I have the original boxes and packaging but I'm on the east cost and not sure I want to spend the $ on shipping... The L-05M have the same published specs as the L-07MII only with 100W per monoblock vs 150W. It would be really interesting to see how they measure on a state of the art AP...
  9. V

Yes, restoration is critical for any unit from that era. I have a pair of restored L-05M that I've been thinking about to sending to @amirm .
  10. V

Sorry if I missed it but were these original unrestored units?
  11. V

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

I should clarify that I did not mean to imply that the difference was due to analog tape vs. digital but rather the quality of the master that was captured at the time on the analog tape that was mastered for vinyl. They sure can and do but all too often the digital remasters of much of the...
  12. V

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

I didn't read the entire thread but this being a technical oriented site I can imagine what the consensus is... I was also an absolute skeptic regarding vinyl ever since I left it behind many years ago. How could it be better than perfect Digital right? Then a few years ago I started...
  13. V

B&W 800D4 series

Because the F1 drivers exceptional understanding is subjective based on how they feel in the motorcar as it navigates the course.
  14. V

B&W 800D4 series

Speaker measurements can also be misleading, so many variables from the room itself to the actual microphone placement. Many enthusiasts would glance at the two graphs below and automatically predict that the first speaker has a much more "neutral" and "correct" sound and that the second speaker...
  15. V

B&W 800D4 series

I have 805D2's and I love them, they sound like reality to me. My hearing is fine and yes I've had other speakers (stand-mounts) that supposedly measure flat yet they often sound compressed and thick, not what real life sounds like to me.
Top Bottom