Recent content by valkeryie

1. V

Tube AMP VS DSP Software to Fake the Tube Sound on a Solid State?

Some recording engineers use a 1:1 transformer in line with their gear to create a "tube" sound. There is far more to a tube amp than output impedance. As an example a tube amp is primarily a voltage amplifier, while a solid state amp is effectively a current amplifier. The output...
  2. V

This audio cable business is getting out of hand...

We did it blind drunk. Does that count? Or perhaps "Blind High"? Or "Blind High and Drunk"? Seriously, once we got started nobody could tell which cable was being played - I forgot to write that down - but as we flipped back and forth - not knowing which cable was in line - we could hear...
  3. V

This audio cable business is getting out of hand...

Found an incredibly accurate way to evaluate Interconnects. Need a preamp with a remote and multiple inputs. Place two different cables between a source - in my case a CD player with two outputs - and the preamp. Warm up and start playing music - your favorite tunes that you know well...
  4. V

Anti-ASR gear

Here is Toole's plot of the ML Summit - very similar to the ESL-13. Another large membrane speaker. I have heard this speaker - and while not as good as the ESL-13 its sound did NOT reflect the terrible measured performance. So there seems to be some disconnect - dare I say dissonance -...
  5. V

Anti-ASR gear

Good question - as in acute. The reality - objective reality - that I perceive is that for some reason - non measurable - some stereo kit just sounds really inviting - warm (now measure warmth), entrancing to the human spirit - at least to this one. Probably much the way some musical genres...
  6. V

Anti-ASR gear

Bombast you say? Must have hit a nerve somewhere. I read these observations on this forum presented as hard fact as though carved on a slab of granite by a fiery finger - and you accuse myself of bombast? Really? BTW: Bombast was actually the middle name of a fellow named Paracelsus - a...
  7. V

Anti-ASR gear

Pozz - I doubt if my Darling Dynas are anywhere near as good as the specifications you listed. So what? The ensemble simply sounds very pleasing - it takes me away when it plays music. Is that a criteria? Am I allowed to enjoy myself when playing music? I have heard the $300,000 rigs -...
  8. V

Anti-ASR gear

You only know WHAT YOU THINK YOU KNOW - MORE SUBJECTIVE DRIVEL OF ABSOLUTELY NO CONSEQUENCE. Your opinions DO NOT CONSTITUTE FACT.
  9. V

Anti-ASR gear

You, my dear sir, are arguing in circles. The question is; what constitutes a "transparent" system that is accurate in reproducing "sources". The fact of the matter is that YOU DON'T KNOW AND NEITHER DOES ANYBODY ELSE. So you cannot make any all encompassing statements about "transparent'...
  10. V

Anti-ASR gear

And how Dear Sal can you say that? You haven't heard the old junk - you are MERELY SPECULATING BASED ON WHAT YOU HAVE READ - NOT WHAT YOU HAVE HEARD. Lots of uninformed hot air circulating in the "high end" arena. LOTS. Maybe we could harness that bizarre bloviation and have a new energy...
  11. V

Amir's Recommended List [Defunct]

OK - sorry Pozz - the title was YOUR thread not Amirm. So thanks for the great thread and the compilation. Would still love to see some RBCD players - SINGLE BOX - rated/compared/measured/vilified/praised.
  12. V

Anti-ASR gear

My bad - get old and memory fails. Must have been an "early" DVD player - maybe '96?
  13. V

Anti-ASR gear

Hooray for Dynaco amplifiers. I have a set of original ST-70s (from kits built in the sixties),, hard wired to be mono-blocks, rebuilt with new "orange drop capacitors" (loved by guitar players for their "tone"), rare Svetelana EL-34s, new driver tubes (JD-8 replacement for the 7199), and...
  14. V

Amirm, thank you for your kind reply. Unfortunately I have no spare units I want to volunteer. Though I would recommend - based on purely subjective "listening" - and ONE A-B comparison - the Cambridge Audio 840C. A now no longer manufactured component. In the one direct comparison, on an...
  15. V

How about recommended CD Players. Frankly I believe that the multiple box solution to playing RBCD is very poor engineering. Why introduce a connectivity layer? Other than of course to sell more boxes and generate more cash flow. Regardless - any SINGLE BOX RBCD players - don't care about...
Top Bottom