Recent content by Unclevanya

1. U

I have a confession

Also I suspect in real world environments few systems can reproduce high res 24bit dynamic range. We've certainly seen that very few amps test with SINAD high enough to reveal the difference between 16bit and 24bit. Aggregate SINAD will be worse as each item in the chain adds noise (much like...
  2. U

Review and Measurements of Klipsch PowerGate DAC & Amp

That's one of the few bits that make me annoyed about my Yamaha wxa-50. Btw the Klipsch is back to $179 on Amazon it had drifted up to $199 for a while. The non amplified Gate PlayFi endpoint is $89. I'm not the biggest fan of PlayFi but that's a low price for a streamer.
  3. U

I have a confession

Bob Carver used null difference testing to duplicate the Sonic signature of amplifiers. I wonder if the same techniques could be applied to show when there are differences in things that people think are the same. Not to reproduce the sound that was done via adjustments the raw output of the...
  4. U

I have a confession

I think we are in complete agreement. Essentially, while I can beat the test, I don't do so easily or without effort. And in the absence of the test it isn't likely that I will complain about quality. I will say that anecdotally, in past tests of vbr and 320bit mp3 encoding programs, I found...
  5. U

I have a confession

I've done my own blind testing on high bitrate lossy vs wav and taken a few blind tests like the npr one as well. I tended to properly ID lossless as sounding better 5 out of 6 times at best (lower bitrates and familiar music) and 4 of 6 at worst (higher bitrate unfamiliar music). However these...
  6. U

Review and Measurements of Yamaha WXA-50 Streaming Amp

I should also point out that I didn't find the gain control very precise once I reached the 120+ level in the app. Small adjustments made a lot larger volume change than I expected.
  7. U

The lack of standard volume feedback makes it hard to evaluate, I found that I could go well past the volume by dialing it up to 140, and clipping did not appear to be near. The way these electronic volume control work makes me feel uncomfortable. I am also used to 12-1 o'clock on the volume pot...
  8. U

Room correction for a newbie

The left side is without any wall surface available, the bookcase and corner cupboard cover 90%. The right side has two large windows and only a small area of wall between them which already houses some original artwork.
  9. U

That would mean using up the optical input but you have a point.
  10. U

Need help upgrading/choosing 2.1 system for everyday use (Hypex NCore/IcePower?)

Have you considered the WXA-50 Yamaha, the power into 4 ohms is close to the per you have now. I compared it to the NAD D3020 V2, and I liked it better however not by a huge margin. The NAD sounded good also.
  11. U

Room correction for a newbie

Update: I bought an Open Box NAD for $100 off the going rate with full warranty. I then stumbled into a Yamaha wxa-50 for even less used. Added a square trade warranty. The musiccast software is far more reliable and functional than the PlayFi software used by the Paradigm Link. The overall...
  12. U

How are you able to tell how high the volume is? There's no visual indication. What mobile app measured volume? My 3-way 90db 6 ohm speakers are too loud long before the amp runs out of gas. I used musiccast (tidal) and Play-Fi (paradigm link) via optical input and Bluetooth direct and all...
  13. U

I ended up with both the NAD d3020 v2 and Yamaha wxa-50... And I agree. Now I have to decide if I'm sending back the NAD it putting it on second system duty. The two minor complaints, a lack of volume indication is annoying on the Yamaha as is the lack of advanced Bluetooth, and finally the...
  14. U

Need help upgrading/choosing 2.1 system for everyday use (Hypex NCore/IcePower?)

Nad C368 is my personal suggestion. If money is the issue I suggest these folks: https://www.safeandsoundhq.com I've bought from them in the past. They currently have a refurbished unit at around $600.
  15. U

PlayClassics album premiere for ASR members

I too would be interested in a code. Thanks in advance.
Top Bottom