Recent content by UliBru

1. UliBru

Introducing Hang Loose Convolver from Accurate Sound

The sequence 1L, 1R, 2L, 2R ... is based on logic. The intention is to keep the user away from arbitrary channel assignments. The target is to especially avoid the case where a user connects the tweeters to channels 1+2. Because music players by default play music to channels 1+2. And thus there...
  2. UliBru

Does Phase Distortion/Shift Matter in Audio? (no*)

Hi Klaus, basically it is caclulated like this FFTFromReal(signal) (here the given length 9.469.740 samples) Set DC to zero (Re, Im) becomes (-Im, Re) by multiplying with i IFFTToReal My remarks about DC are not really correct. It should be clear that a 90° phase shift of DC should not...
  3. UliBru

A quick test with a sample music track (9.469.740 samples) and applied 1st and 2nd Hilbert transform shows: The arbitrary waveform snippet of the track shows the result after a first phase shift by 90° After the second 90° phase shift the result is So clearly the result looks like flipped...
  4. UliBru

Take any music track of your choice. Calculate its frequency spectrum. Reverse the music track. Calculate the frequency spectrum of the reversed track. You will find that both spectra are identical. But the music sounds different for sure :)
  5. UliBru

Keith_W DSP system

Indeed I would be very happy if there was a general standard for creating and manipulating (e.g. zooming) charts. So all developers rely on the chosen chart library. For the users there is always the learning curve to get used to the chart handling. Of course I have no problems with my charts...
  6. UliBru

Keith_W DSP system

Can you guys describe me a correct and nice workflow from driver measurement, driver linearization, addition of crossovers, time alignment, overall measurement and overall correction? :) Possibly in another thread to avoid hijacking Keith's thread. I'm really curious.
  7. UliBru

Do we crave distortion?

The brain gets information from outside. In our case the incoming soundwave is filtered by the transfer function of the ear. But the brain just recognizes the incoming signal and it learns from the beginning (birth) what the incoming signal will mean. There is a simple example and you can test...
  8. UliBru

Do we crave distortion?

Thanks, I have missed to read this post. In Germany we say something like: two fools one thought ;)
  9. UliBru

Do we crave distortion?

IMO most people believe that a 2n HD will add just double frequencies to existing harmonics. But this is not the case. A 2nd HD also adds IM. Here is an example. A multitone signal created with 10 frequencies from 23.4375 Hz to 12 kHz (48 kHz samplerate). So the distance between each frequency...
  10. UliBru

Do we crave distortion?

I'm not an artist or producer but a consumer. So I like to hear what others create and try to tell by their art. I prefer to hear it as original as possible. Of course I also appreciate a voice recorded by a proper microphone and treated with special effects. And I can even enjoy distortions. So...
  11. UliBru

Do we crave distortion?

At the production stage there is someone who makes a decision: the production is ready, the product will be deliviered as it is. Thus the product arrives at the reproduction stage. Now if the product is ok it should be used 1:1 without any further "sounding". Raising or lowering the playback...
  12. UliBru

Do we crave distortion?

A very simple proof: an electric guitar can sound wonderful when played by a proper guitar amp which even adds heavy distortions. Obviously there is a correlation between a played note and its harmonic overtones. But I do not know anyone who listens e.g. to a classical concert by using the same...
  13. UliBru

How Deep Must the Bass Be?

So far the deepest bass recording I have in my collection is played and recorded by Paul de Métairy. The organ composition is titled as "Symphony of the Life". The work is mainly composed by his nephew, Lucas de Métairy. See e.g. https://thecinelite.wordpress.com/paul-de-metairy/ The frequency...
  14. UliBru

Do we crave distortion?

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/String_harmonic
  15. UliBru

Audible difference in high-end capacitors? - ABX samples

I have meant the measurements reported by pma but now with a multitone instead of a sine sweep. And I just wonder if a loud singing cap behaves different than a silent cap and if the measurements will show this
Top Bottom