Recent content by UliBru

1. UliBru

Next Level of Performance DACs.

I do not believe in audio myths. But indeed I have noticed audio differences with different USB cables feeding my RME Fireface UC. A possible explanation: beside the transfer of digital information the cable can also transfer electrical noise, compensating current, act as an antenna and so on...
  2. UliBru

Minidsp U-DIO8 USB to AES Converter Review

Basically the channels can be assigned and routed arbitrarily. But this does not make sense. Of course I can tell you about the underlying concept in Acourate: Simply imagine you have directly connected your left and right tweeters at channels 1 and 2. Furthermore the tweeters are also directly...
  3. UliBru

Usually a music player reads the samplerate of the music track and sends an according samplerate command to the soundcard. The U-DIO8 behaves the same way on AsioSetSamplerate like other soundcards.
  4. UliBru

What do you mean by "i get the 48k drop down to 44.1k" ?
  5. UliBru

I use the U-DIO8 with 4 TacT M/S2150 amps connectec by AES/EBU in a 4-way active horn speaker setup. There is no problem at all.
  6. UliBru

Time Domain measurements?

Yes, but many people do not understand the frequency domain in its full meaning. They just look e.g. at the frequency response plot of a loudspeaker. And this magnitude chart does not contain any time information, it simply shows the steady-state frequency behaviour. This typically leads to...
  7. UliBru

You also said before: "What I was trying to say (and believe that I did say in an adequately clear manner) is that if the low-pass filter that is applied is sufficiently steep, that there will be no remnant of the original 15 Hz fundamental in the output waveform, and that the overall...
  8. UliBru

I have simply tried to give an answer to your statement: "It will somewhat resemble a square wave, but one where the fundamental frequency is the 45 Hz " So if you take away the fundamental 15 Hz of your example the result clearly does not resemble a square wave.
  9. UliBru

A 15 Hz square wave consists of sine waves 15 Hz, 45 Hz (3*15), 75 Hz (5*15), 105 Hz (7*15) ... Now you take away 15 Hz and get a lowest frequency 45 Hz. So far ok. But 75 Hz is not 3*45, 105 Hz is not 5*45 ... Thus the filtered result is no longer a square wave.
  10. UliBru

Here is my result with 200 Hz squarewave and 80 Hz lowpass 12 dB/octave
  11. UliBru

Some examples of a truly bandlimited squarewave @48 kHz samplerate: 100 Hz 1500 Hz 7500 Hz The last example consists of 2 frequencies only - 7500 Hz and 22500 Hz. The next higher frequency of order 5 would be 37500 Hz but this is already outside of the bandwidth limit 24 kHz.
  12. UliBru

And if you measure your system with microphone and soundcard also keep in mind that the analog-digital conversion also limits the frequency range by brickwall filters (against aliasing) and samplerate (max. frequency is fs/2). So there are many good reasons why a squarewave measurement does not...
  13. UliBru

1. IMO it is misleading to create such squarewaves as they clearly hurt the Nyquist-Shannon sampling theorem. A squarewave consists of its base sinewave plus odd sinewaves 3rd, 5th, 7th, 11th ... order, see also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square_wave Now at e.g. 48 kHz samplewrate the top...
  14. UliBru

Here you go, the blue curve is the summed step response
  15. UliBru

The UB filters are based on the idea that kinks or non-smooth transitions in the frequency response cause some ringing in the time domain. Thus the target is to get smooth frequency responses. An indication is the behavior of derivatives, like kink (1st derivative) or jerk (2nd derivative). A...
Top Bottom