Recent content by TXinD76121

1. TXinD76121

Tice TPT Enhanced Line Conditioner Review

Do they though? I always thought there was a certain amount of deliberate hokum in these products, like an Andy Kaufmann comedy routine that blurred the edges between the act and reality. "Hokum" meaning (according to Webster's) "1: a device used (as by showmen) to evoke a desired audience...
  2. TXinD76121

Apt Holman Preamplifier Review (vintage Audio)

Your Adcom had the same industrial designer as the Apt Holman, Charles Rozier. He did the industrial design of a lot of '70s-'80s hifi gear. The charge of "copying" is pretty harsh, unless you have evidence for it. People tend to like the style of the moment, in many things, and most designers...
  3. TXinD76121

Wolf's Measurements of Gustard A18 DAC

I've been writing on the web since 2002 and for magazines since 1988. My experience over many years is that readers don't pay attention to bylines. I can put up a guest post on my site with the author's name in two places, the one at the top in bold type with "Written by" in front of it, and...
  4. TXinD76121

Measurements of Gustard P26 Preamplifier

I'm very interested in this preamp. I'd been considering a Gustard A22, which has been slandered a bit around here but looks promising to me. But I wonder about getting locked in to running a DAC as a preamp; I'm in the middle of an epic exchange with a friend who is firmly in the "passive pre"...
  5. TXinD76121

Audioengine A5+ Powered Speaker Review

I second that--these are my computer speakers and I have an S8 underneath my desk. I love the speakers, listen to them every day for hours, and have done for many years now. I also own the larger Audioengine HD6 ($600 when I bought them) and don't like them as well. If the volume control goes...
  6. TXinD76121

IOTAVX SA3 Integrated Amplifier

What is your problem? Napakabastos mo.
  7. TXinD76121

I had hoped someone else would answer, as I'm no expert. As you know, a volume control is one of the most important features of an analog stereo for sound quality. There are various implementations and some of them are very expensive. That's because it's important. One of the basics of system...
  8. TXinD76121

Too much gain. About 32 dB total [correction...more like 42 dB], which is too much for a CD player. I'm thinking of getting a DAC/preamp to run straight into the power amp (except I know nothing about the options) or else get some Rothwell 10dB attenuators. But it's very attractive and quite...
  9. TXinD76121

Looks nice. I like how you got yourself in the picture!
  10. TXinD76121

Only Amir knows. Don't know if anyone has asked him recently. I'm still curious, though, so I'm hoping this thread stays alive.
  11. TXinD76121

Well, I've had some troubles with vintage. I've been playing in that area for actually quite a few years now, although for the past 5 years I've been on hiatus from audio altogether. My sorties into vintage ended when I bought a "fully restored" Accuphase E-202 and paid what at the time was a...
  12. TXinD76121

No, I bought the one from Lou at Record Mart in Times Square. They're dealing used gear under the name Record Mart HiFi now. This one: https://recordmarthifi.com/collections/frontpage/products/musical-fidelity-a3-5-integrated-amplifier I was telling myself that I wasn't going to be sentimental...
  13. TXinD76121

I've moved on. Went for a Musical Fidelity A3.5 integrated, used, instead.
  14. TXinD76121

IIS/LVDS?

(Potentially) dumb question from a newcomer: what the heck is that input labeled "IIS/LVDS" on the back of the Topping D90? I know it's a type of connection, but what would it be coming from that would go into a DAC? Man, I used to sell audio way back when--in the era BC (before cellphones)--and...
Top Bottom