Recent content by TurtlePaul

1. T

AIYIMA A70 Stereo Amplifier Review

Let's be real here about the R&D. TI committed a lot to engineer these chips and they provide copious documentation on how to implement input stages, build a post-filter feedback circuit, make a composite amplifier, etc. We don't have enough manufacturers who can come near the specs that TI...
  2. T

AIYIMA A70 Stereo Amplifier Review

The problem with your “480 W” and “240 W” labels is that this isn’t how audio power bricks work. The Fosi 48V 5A brick doesn’t have over current protection (OCP) that kicks in right at 5 amps or over power protection (OPP) at 240 watts. It is delivering 141 watts x 2 in the test, so certainly...
  3. T

My first measurements. How do I rate?

I agree that this would sound like too much bass for me by ~5 dB below 250 hz. Other than that, just EQing the room modes and the cancelation at 400 hz and it should sound pretty great.
  4. T

Digital Volume Infinite Encoders slow and need many rotations. Why is that?

The nice thing about this is that they can use a single gang linear pot - no channel imbalance from dual gang pots and doesn’t have the non-linearity issues at low volume levels of logarithmic pots.
  5. T

Neumann KH750 without Neumann monitors

Yes, I use a MiniDSP 2x4 HD as DAC / source selector / volume control / EQ / crossover.
  6. T

But then -50 to -100 dB is unusable even if it can be reached… may as well make it another turn of a multi-turn encoder… which is exactly how these are implemented.
  7. T

There is a tradeoff. If you want to have a single turn encoder and also have 100 dB range, then each ‘hour’ is 8.25 dB (e.g. noon to 1 o’clock position) and on smaller knob this is far far too sensitive.
  8. T

It is not the limit. device makers need to trade off fine grained control vs. how far the knob needs to be turned. I usually find 1 dB to be sufficient to get close enough to perfect volume but digital systems are precise to 0.1 dB or less if needed.
  9. T

In addition to the 0.5 or 0.1 dB resolution, keep in mind that most digital encoders are able go to -99 dB while most old analog pots have terrible channel balance and inconsistent attenuation past -25 or -30 dB. If you did set the digital to only go to -25 dB with 1dB resolution it would fit...
  10. T

Fosi Audio V3 Amplifier Review

I am fairly confident that what grogi said is not true.
  11. T

There is a teardown of the V3 on the front page. The signal very much goes through a 2-gang pot. Where is there a digital volume control IC? I don’t see it.
  12. T

Truthear x Crinacle Zero:RED IEM Review

I also have the Zero:Red and Zero:2. The Reds have the perception of a perfectly flat audiophile response. The Zero:2 have a modest but not extreme bass boost. That gives move perceived mid-bass and lower midrange texture on the Red because it isn’t masked by boom. But sometimes much bass is...
  13. T

I'm amazed that I can't find a thread discussing this

I agree that it is easy to "round up" the audibility of SINAD when choosing electronic components. Personally, with music or video material, and in my real world living room, I think that 80 dB THD and 100 dB SNR is more than enough to reach transparency in my system.
  14. T

Everything is behind the volume pot. There are no buffers on the inputs. It is impossible to overdrive the input.
  15. T

Revel Salon 2 - $15 k 'last dance' sale

I suspect that an internet direct brand is mindful of shipping costs and prefers speakers which can go via standard courier weight and size limits rather than only via specialized palletized shipping services.
Top Bottom