Recent content by tonycollinet

1. tonycollinet

HOW can bigger amp change sound at lower volume?

No, it is the peak power it can deliver. Big banks of caps are needed or not to deliver that peak power depending on the architecture of the power supply. Peak power is generally limited by the power supply voltage. Onnce the peak of the output wavform exceeds that, they are clipped. (Tops cut...
  2. tonycollinet

Watt for speaker and Watt for power consumption, Class D and AB

I assumed you were using the multimeter for current measurement. You are correct - clamp meter used like that is perfectly safe.
  3. tonycollinet

He is sending sine waves. RMS values are fine.
  4. tonycollinet

Unlikely to have any accuracy at the levels you are measuring though, unless you get one with a 1A and 5A range (or in that area)
  5. tonycollinet

Rega iO

Let's wait for the actual measurements from Amirm he has just promised us.
  6. tonycollinet

You can't measure impedance with a meter like that (impedance is frequency dependant), just the coil resistance at DC. You also CANNOT measure resistance with the amp connected (as you are also measuring the amp - and even worse if the amp is outputting voltage that will override the...
  7. tonycollinet

HOW can bigger amp change sound at lower volume?

It is to do with the dynamic range of the music. Peaks/crescendos in music can easily be 20dB higher than the "normal" level at which you set the volume. So if you have inefficient speakers, you may have a normal listening level already at 2x the power of speakers with only 3 dB higher...
  8. tonycollinet

I hope you are not measuring current by putting the probes on the two speaker terminals. If you are, then you are short circuiting the amplifier output through the meter. To measure current you need to put the meter in line with the speaker wire (disconnect wire from one speaker terminal then...
  9. tonycollinet

Vinyl is not as bad as I expected.

Oh dear God! :facepalm: (Hint - you've fundamentally misunderstood the purpose of blind/abx testing)
  10. tonycollinet

I feel people need to be able to distinguish between the two statements: "I prefer" and "is better". Sadly too many people don't seem to manage it.
  11. tonycollinet

Thanks for the hint. A lesson I repeatedly fail to learn :)
  12. tonycollinet

What? All people? Some people? A majority of people? Again - how does that mean your view/preference is aligned with science? Actually never mind. I've lost interest.
  13. tonycollinet

You missed a word: "preference". I have literally no idea what you mean when you say your "veiw is aligned with science" when talking about a preference (see I've helped you out there by putting the whole prase in quotes, so you don't make a mistake, and pick parts out of context). Science can...
  14. tonycollinet

Nice straw man. You should stay, you're fun.:rolleyes: EDIT - PS, deliberate strawmanning is not exactly scientific.
  15. tonycollinet

It really doesn't matter if your preference is aligned with science (whatever that means) or not - it is still a preference. Science says little about how we experience enjoyment of music once it is in our heads.
Top Bottom